Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-19-2019, 09:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Jegs timing set

Anyone use the Jegs brand billet timing set?

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/2043...274+4294829241

I’m between this one or the Rollmaster for my 432 build.

1967 GTO, 432 (428+.030), 4-bolt mains, factory Nodular crank, scat rods, icon dished pistons, Lunati HR 243/251@.050, .618/.622 lift, Edelbrock 72cc round port heads, 10.5:1, offy 2-4 intake, Edelbrock 650cfm carbs, Super T10 trans (2.64 first), BOP 10 bolt w/ Eaton posi and 3.36 gears
Old 12-20-2019, 01:15 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The Rollmaster is a nice set, I use it in my 461, just make sure you degree the camshaft with whatever chain you decide to use, as they all can vary. Another nice billet set is the Cloyes 9-3512X9. No experience with the Jegs set

Old 12-20-2019, 07:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I installed one on an engine we were hired to assemble. Pretty nice set and no issues, reminded me of the Rollmaster in nearly every detail and if I remember correctly they actually marked the teeth corresponding to the crankshaft keyway for moving the cam around.

Not sure if it was mentioned or not on the long running timing chain thread but it is IMPERATIVE to double check each time you move the cam on one of those 9 keyway set-ups. You absolutely MUST go to the tooth directly above the keyway you have chosen then back two teeth to the left for alignment. IF you fail to do this (I've had two engines brought here over the years where the builder lined up the original tooth for the zero mark) the cam will be out of phase.

Got a cool story about this. One of our customers had an engine built by a Pontiac "guru" who used to be all over the websites a while back. They took delivery of their roller cammed 455 and it was a freeking TURD. I did the carb and distributor for it, and of course got ALL the blame for the engine running poorly.

After a couple of trips back and for with the carb and the owner exhausting all local shops plus all his beer drinking buddies to get it running well he trailered it here (from about 700 miles away). It didn't really sound all that bad until you hit the throttle really hard or drove the car and went to full throttle. It sounded like you'd stuffed a potato in each tail pipe and had no more power than decent size Briggs and Stratton lawn mower engine.

I pulled a valve cover and did a physical relationship check between the timing mark and when the #1 intake valve started to open and it was WAY off the mark. Removed the front cover and the cam had been advanced to the 4 degree position but they used the "zero" tooth to line up the gears. Back then early Rollmaster sets were not marked on every tooth so you had to count back two teeth with each movement and line that tooth up with the mark on the top sprocket.

Anyhow a quick movement to line things up correctly and low and behold power was restored and everyone was happy.

Related to this thread I found a pic of one of the SBC later model roller 350's I've done here. This one got the GM single roller timing set. It has HUGE pins, true roller and a really heavy duty set-up. Nice set if you are going a later SBC build.....pic below......Cliff
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	021.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	82.5 KB
ID:	527139  

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),
Old 12-20-2019, 08:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"One of our customers had an engine built by a Pontiac "guru" who used to be all over the websites a while back. They took delivery of their roller cammed 455 and it was a freeking TURD. I did the carb and distributor for it, and of course got ALL the blame for the engine running poorly."

Sounds like the self-proclaimed King from California.

Old 12-20-2019, 09:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I will say that after we fixed that deal it was too long after Rollmaster started marking ALL the corresponding teeth on the lower sprocket in conjunction with the keyways.

It keeps self-proclaimed "experts" from checking the cam "dot to dot", deciding they needed 4 degrees advance, moving to the +4 keyway, then just lining up the original "dot" on the bottom gear with the "dot" on the top gear. Ya, you would think that even if a tiny bit of common sense were used here that moving two keyways on the bottom sprocket and using the same dot to line things up would certainly move the cam a little more than 4 degrees.....DUH!

Even worse is that the engine mentioned above was started on a "run-stand" according to the builder and it was fine. It was not dyno'd (costs money) and they claimed it was an unnecessary step not needed with their engines. So when it gets to the owner and installed, the carb guy gets blamed when it doesn't work as advertised......LOL.....

73 Ventura, SOLD 455, 3740lbs, 11.30's at 120mph, 1977 Pontiac Q-jet, HO intake, HEI, 10" converter, 3.42 gears, DOT's, 7.20's at 96mph and still WAY under the roll bar rule. Best ET to date 7.18 at 97MPH (1/8th mile),