Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 08-10-2010, 03:44 PM
Boost Engineer

Default Luhn Performance new Blow-Thru Set-up

This new supercharger set-up (for a Procharger unit) has Air Conditioning, Power Steering, HD Alternator, and naturally the belt driven supercharger all scienced out and as the video shows, installed on a vehicle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7dH2-ycE5o

Nice work by Luhn Performance. Looks really good!

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Any idea on a how much...looks like a real quality set up.

Old 08-10-2010, 05:20 PM
Boost Engineer

You need to talk to the Luhn Performance people, they just sent me the link for an opinion of what I thought. NICE! ! ! !

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 08-10-2010, 05:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom your slipping...no link to their web site...LOL Yes very nice. But then again every thing Mark produces is top shelve.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom-

I am amazed at the size of the brackets for the centrifugal superchargers.
How much pressure or tension in exerted on the belt?

Nice work.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:06 PM
Senior Chief

The reason that the plates are 3/4" thick is to decrease the "blower tip" that happens when the belt comes under load and tries to pull the supercharger and pulley forward.

The D1SC supercharger only has one plane for mounting. ATI has changed this on the F series superchargers to allow for a dual plane mounting system, similar to what comes standard on the Vortech superchargers.

This is the reason why we could use 3/8" and 5/16" plates on the Vortech system.

It is designed to allow the tensioner system to take the brunt of the load versus the plates, supercharger and the crankshaft pulley. Thus decreasing the load on the crankshaft.

We use Solidworks and Ansys to simulate loads in the design process and we usually try to error on the side of caution, thanks to Tom's input and comments.

Gach - It is cheaper then building a 750 Hp NA motor and a lot more fun to drive on the street... according to my customer so far...

www.luhnperformance.com
Old 08-15-2010, 12:55 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
You need to talk to the Luhn Performance people, they just sent me the link for an opinion of what I thought. NICE! ! ! !

Tom Vaught
What kind of HP is that set-up good for.

Old 08-17-2010, 11:31 AM
Senior Chief

Procharger lists the max Hp of the D1SC supercharger at 925 Hp, Vortech lists the max Hp of the T-trim at 825 Hp. As seen in the HPP article if you put the right pieces together (the recipe) you can attain these numbers and more.

The 10 rib serpentine drive and brackets will easily handle 1000 Hp way more then you will ever need on the street.

The D1SC with a properly sized air to air intercooler will take a stock 400 to 600+ Hp with 4-6 lbs of boost.

With engine modifications to handle the power you can see 800 to 900 Hp and up to 20 lbs of boost with pump gas.

Building a supercharged motor is no different than building a motor for Nitrous or for a turbo or for alcohol, they all need a specific recipe to create success.

www.luhnperformance.com
Old 08-17-2010, 01:09 PM

I have a 69 GTO with one of Ken's Procharger kits. I like the idea of being able to install air conditioning with a blower set-up. Never thought there would be enough room. I have an Aerospace Components vacuum pump on it. I was wondering if you can get a vacuum pump to fit in there with that set-up?

Thanks,
Ern the Burn ===========

Old 08-17-2010, 06:28 PM
Senior Chief

Do you have more pics of Vortech or Procharger setup installed? I was interested in seeing where the power steering, alternator, etc. are positioned.

Thanks,

Derek

Old 08-17-2010, 10:48 PM
Senior Chief

We have discussed incorporating a vacuum pump into the system. We believe there are a number of places to incorporate one into the system. We currently have it on our design "to do" board.

If you have a specific combination of components it would be best to give us a call to discuss.

www.luhnperformance.com
Old 09-11-2010, 02:17 PM
Suspended

real nice design and craftsmanship.....beauty..

Old 09-11-2010, 04:34 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponjohn View Post
Tom-

I am amazed at the size of the brackets for the centrifugal superchargers.
How much pressure or tension in exerted on the belt?

Nice work.
Basically the "rule" says:

1) It takes 1 lb of air mass to make 10 engine horsepower.

2) It take 1 horsepower to move 1 lb of air mass through a belt driven supercharger (this is before adding in the mechanical losses of the supercharger like the gears/ bearings, seals.)

Say you want to make 1000 hp:

To do that you need to move at least 100 lbs of air mass so we have 100 hp on the belt
drive/ brackets. Then if we add in the mechanical losses (using a centrifugal supercharger)
we add another 12 to 15% for that deal so that is 112 hp on the belt.

A Roots Supercharger due to the weight of the parts, the heavier bearings required, the
seal drag from the rotors, etc will have much higher belt loads to move the same lb mass
of air because the roots style supercharger makes a lot more heat moving that lb mass of air through the unit.

If you were to compare the temperatures (which affects the final air mass per revolution)
the Vortech unit might increase the air charge temperature by 120 degrees. The Roots unit might increase the temperature by 100 degrees more for the same pressure ratio:
(Boost). This example is for a Vortech unit running 15 psi and a Roots unit running 15 psi.

Hope this helps.

Tom Vaught

ps Turbos use excess exhaust energy to drive the air compression of air mass into the engine therefore it actually draws nothing off the crankshaft.

Old 09-12-2010, 02:22 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponjohn View Post
... How much pressure or tension in exerted on the belt?...
Well, Tom got you to a number for the power required. I guess he's leaving it up to you to apply the definition of power (one HP = 550 ft.lb/sec.), to crunch the numbers and get your answer...

Old 09-12-2010, 11:23 AM
Boost Engineer

I gave you the HP number: "112 hp on the belt"

Explain the pressure side of your question to me again. Bending Force? Belt Elongation, ???

Tom Vaught

Old 10-15-2010, 01:11 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You guys are 45 minutes north of me, looks promising. I'll call you to get more info but nice job.

11.7:1, KRE H Ports, Lunati HR 282/290 w Johnson Lifters & 1.65 Scorp, E30, EFI, Holley HP + Dual Sync, 12-1 Crank Trig, 120lb Inj & 1000cfm TB, Torker II EFI Int & Rails, PTC 10" 0 Stat, Ricks SS Gas Tank, Magna 4303, Aerom EFI Reg, Aero Front & Wilwood Rear Disc Brakes, Dougs 1 7/8" Headers & Borla Pro XS 3" Muffs, Alum Rad & Dual Fans, 12:1 Box, UMI Control Arms & Viking Berz Fr + Rear CO Shocks, Hella UP28 Vac Pump
Old 10-15-2010, 07:17 AM
Senior Chief

Say.......that looks like it would fit under the hood.

First question- Can this come as a kit (supercharger, brackets, tubing, etc....)

Second question- Would this work with KRE heads?

This might change my build

'68 hard blocked forged 463 (thanks Luhn Performance), SD prepped HO aluminum intake, SD Perf 290cfm KRE'S,'Ol Faithful cam, 2004r with a "Jim Hand special" converter to a 3.42 Trutrac 12 bolt hung from a 4 link. With a 120 shot of N2O for fun.
Old 10-15-2010, 08:36 AM
Senior Chief

Goat8u2,

Yes you are very close to us. We are down that way when we go to Paul's shop Ram Air Restorations or when we stop over at Paul & Marie's shop Muscle Motors.

Give us a call or drop us an email and we will answer any of your questions.

Arrowem,

Yes our kits are designed to fit under a stock hood of the A, B and F & G body cars.

We are currently working on a kit for the 73-77 A-body cars.

We offer turn key bolt on kits, rotating assemblies, complete motors or any of the individual components to fit your needs. The kits can be as simple as a supercharger and brackets to a complete kit including intercooler, tubing, fuel delivery and intake manifold selection.

Yes we work with KRE and they have excellent products. They have a good selection of cylinder heads that work in a boosted application.

Give us a call and we can discuss your thoughts and needs.

www.luhnperformance.com
Old 10-23-2010, 06:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Called but you're not in town.
Curious how the inlet piping looks for those not running an intercooler?
E85 and Meth injection like boost.

11.7:1, KRE H Ports, Lunati HR 282/290 w Johnson Lifters & 1.65 Scorp, E30, EFI, Holley HP + Dual Sync, 12-1 Crank Trig, 120lb Inj & 1000cfm TB, Torker II EFI Int & Rails, PTC 10" 0 Stat, Ricks SS Gas Tank, Magna 4303, Aerom EFI Reg, Aero Front & Wilwood Rear Disc Brakes, Dougs 1 7/8" Headers & Borla Pro XS 3" Muffs, Alum Rad & Dual Fans, 12:1 Box, UMI Control Arms & Viking Berz Fr + Rear CO Shocks, Hella UP28 Vac Pump
Old 10-23-2010, 07:03 PM
Boost Engineer

They were at a Buick Show today exhibiting their Buick Kit for the "B" boys. (B-O-P) get it? Try again on Monday.

Tom Vaught