Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 07-14-2013, 12:59 PM
Suspended

Default EFI intake.

Is there an intake made for Pontiac that isn't an adapted carburetor intake?
IOWs, something expressly designed for EFI?

Old 07-14-2013, 01:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not to my knowledge.
You were thinking some thing like a LS intake?

Old 07-14-2013, 01:07 PM
Suspended

Yes. Something purpose designed for a throttle body that has a cleaner profile with better hood clearance.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:35 PM
Pontiac performance Author

Find a 1957 or 1958 (they're different) mechanical Fuel Injection intake and cut off the water crossover and redrill the mounting holes. Oh, by the way, then some numbers-matching restoration guy will kill you! LOL

Old 07-14-2013, 02:05 PM
Suspended

I might have to kill me too.

Old 07-14-2013, 02:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you are crafty enough... we are blessed that we have a valley pan and can seperate our water crossover... it would not be terribly difficult to make your own efi intake.

A warrior type tunnel ram would be a decent piece to start from... I have seen the gutsram with 2 afb's and custom top fit under a 64 tempest hood with no scoop... wouldnt take much to make an upper plenum section with a "sidedraft" throttle body arrangement. A chev tpi plenum could probably work if you make a Pontiac flange(cut off from an old t1 or somethin cheap) and runners that resemble the chev piece.

Old M/T crossram redrilled to modern head pattern and injector bungs added might be another option.

Old 07-14-2013, 03:12 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PonchoV8 View Post
Is there an intake made for Pontiac that isn't an adapted carburetor intake?
IOWs, something expressly designed for EFI?
To specifically answer your question, Yes, there is one made specifically for a traditional Pontiac (RA_III-IV) made by Kinsler Engineering in Michigan. http://www.kinsler.com/page--Home-Page--13.html

Send the check to tvaught@..................

Tom Vaught

(Now part 2 of your question, ability to use a single throttle body, nope, not without using a carbed/efi intake like a Victor EFI.)

(Assume you will be selling your first child as they do not give those Kinsler EFI intake systems away).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Kinsler EFI manifold Pontiac.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	329732  

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 07-14-2013 at 03:18 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:50 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

The flat "underhood" types of intakes have higher RPM limits.
With the LSx engines we've found that a victor style intake with an elbow and throttle body will make more HP and make a LOT more from 6000 and up, over the factory flat style.

Use a torker II with an elbow, it will be the same or less than a carb on top.

Old 07-14-2013, 11:10 PM
Suspended

A Formie hood is what I'm contemplating. Something could be made, but heck if I know if it would flow properly. Looking at what Pontiac did for the 301T, heck how did that thing flow at all?

Side draft is what I was looking for with the multi-throttle plate setup. Ford's V10 has one, but I've heard it doesn't flow like I might think. The RX-7 or maybe RX-8 has three throttle plates that tip in at different intervals. I don't expect it flows to desired cfm, but it is equivalent to a 12 cylinder engine. Two large throttle plates arta do it.

If the Torqer II will makes some boosted power I can live with it until "the one" comes along, or is built. I really think there's a little market for the dedicated platform for side draft bodies. I don't want to reinvent the wheel, but deleting another 90 degree bend has got to be good for us.

Tom that looks pretty trick. I'd have to see about having one made if I wanted down-draft. Looks cool, though. $1600?

I came from Zcars. You used a big engined 80s model Mercedes throttle body on your turbo ZXT engine (or get one for a Ford Cobra) and a Conquest TSi intercooler. Small displacement, but junkyard parts will make them scoot.

Old 07-15-2013, 12:09 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just build one like the one below. It has a big 440 cu in plenum and twin 60mm throttle body.

Old 07-15-2013, 07:08 AM
Suspended

Sweet looking. That's getting there.

Old 07-16-2013, 10:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hgerhardt View Post
Just build one like the one below. It has a big 440 cu in plenum and twin 60mm throttle body.

Thats a sweet piece! looks like it was molded off a modified Tunnel ram...
If you built it nice work! If someone else pass the compliment along.

Kind of what I was thinkin using a modified Gutsram. Two twin throttle bodies from say a 90 Ford truck 5.0 could work or two big singles....or 8 small singles. Lots of options really.

Old 07-17-2013, 12:42 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceWilkie View Post
Thats a sweet piece! looks like it was molded off a modified Tunnel ram...
If you built it nice work! If someone else pass the compliment along.

Kind of what I was thinkin using a modified Gutsram. Two twin throttle bodies from say a 90 Ford truck 5.0 could work or two big singles....or 8 small singles. Lots of options really.
Thanks! Yeah, I built it about 15 years ago. I had no idea how big to make the plenum, so I called Ken Duttweiler and he recommended that a good place to start is to make it the same volume as the engine displacement. So, that's why it's 440 in^3. I made it sort of elliptical so that it would have some rigidity through the geometry (round is better than flat when you're resisting pressure, either positive or negative).

I made the plenum from a female fiberglass mold and the runners from male wax plugs, since Pontiacs have siamesed runners. They start out at the same size as the big Fel-Pro intake gaskets and taper larger toward the plenum by 15% or so.

Electronics are a Motec M48 with wide band lambda sensor. 50lb/hr injectors. FP regulator is a modified '79 Cad Seville unit with adjustable pressure, which I run at 50psi. Pump is Carter low-pressure pulling out of the tank in line with an old Porsche Turbo HP pump.

Throttle body is homemade as well, based on LT1/Tuned Port geometry, but much larger butterflies, 60mm. Butterflies are from (2) donor Isuzu Rodeos. Used the throttle shaft from the donor LT1 TB. Idle air motor is a Ford 2-wire.

Performance-wise, it's about 2 tenths better than the best carb/manifold I ever tried, which was a well-setup Holley 750 (from Ed Dufrene) and Street Dominator manifold (which was a few 10ths better than the RPM I had). This was WAY before Victors and such. There's also a 150-shot N2O dry nozzle in case that's not enough...

Heinrich

Last edited by hgerhardt; 07-17-2013 at 12:52 AM.
Old 07-17-2013, 06:43 AM
Suspended

That's the ingenuity we need in Pontiacs to keep the cars progressing in this direction!
Nice work.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Thanks! Yeah, I built it about 15 years ago. I had no idea how big to make the plenum, so I called Ken Duttweiler and he recommended that a good place to start is to make it the same volume as the engine displacement. So, that's why it's 440 in^3. I made it sort of elliptical so that it would have some rigidity through the geometry (round is better than flat when you're resisting pressure, either positive or negative).

I made the plenum from a female fiberglass mold and the runners from male wax plugs, since Pontiacs have siamesed runners. They start out at the same size as the big Fel-Pro intake gaskets and taper larger toward the plenum by 15% or so.

Electronics are a Motec M48 with wide band lambda sensor. 50lb/hr injectors. FP regulator is a modified '79 Cad Seville unit with adjustable pressure, which I run at 50psi. Pump is Carter low-pressure pulling out of the tank in line with an old Porsche Turbo HP pump.

Throttle body is homemade as well, based on LT1/Tuned Port geometry, but much larger butterflies, 60mm. Butterflies are from (2) donor Isuzu Rodeos. Used the throttle shaft from the donor LT1 TB. Idle air motor is a Ford 2-wire.

Performance-wise, it's about 2 tenths better than the best carb/manifold I ever tried, which was a well-setup Holley 750 (from Ed Dufrene) and Street Dominator manifold (which was a few 10ths better than the RPM I had). This was WAY before Victors and such. There's also a 150-shot N2O dry nozzle in case that's not enough...

Heinrich
I thought I recognized it from the article in "Hot Rod" many years ago........

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 07-17-2013, 01:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Wasn't your car in HPP a long time ago?

When I read the OP question. That intake was the first thing I thought of.

Old 07-17-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:

This makes me happy in my pants.

Beautiful work!

Old 07-17-2013, 08:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrt View Post
Wasn't your car in HPP a long time ago?

When I read the OP question. That intake was the first thing I thought of.
Hot Rod, June '99... Holy crap, that was a long time ago!

Also on Hot Rod TV a year or two later... where it ran low 12's on regular Comp T/A's with wheelspin just about all the way down the track. That was ridiculous.

Old 07-17-2013, 08:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Heinrich
Do you still have the molds for this manifold?

Old 07-19-2013, 04:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ollie View Post
Do you still have the molds for this manifold?
Yes, I do. Also have a fixture that simulates the installed cylinder heads to rig the aluminum plates (look like 1/2" thick intake gaskets) which I used to bolt the manifold to the heads with. The alum plates are bonded to the ends of the intake runners.

The male wax plugs are made from ~1.25" thick tooling wax (whatever the width of the port was) and then bandsawed out and the corner radii made with a router.

I have a stack of Polaroids that I took as I made the manifold (long before digital photography)... need to find and scan them.