THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-28-2015, 04:21 PM
formerly Steved400

Send a message via Yahoo to Steve Hoog
Default AR15 Muzzle Brake

A good thing?

While picking up my Mossberg 930 today I started looking at this muzzle brake; they gun smith said it has a noticeable positive effect, will advise if this is correct

Old 04-29-2015, 01:23 AM
Senior Chief

Default brake??

the one in the pic is a "side blaster" style brake modeled after the ak-74, its REALLY loud, and kicks out tremedous muzzle blast to the sides, it does work but on a .223 rifle you only need it in full-auto.in some states that have banned flash hiders, people put these on because they can,it also keeps dirt and other foreign objects out of muzzle too.in a 30 cal rifle it can help in a light rifle,and also help speed up getting back on target for rapid fire, if needed.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:48 AM
formerly Steved400

Sounds like something I just have to try for myself.

Old 04-29-2015, 10:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The muzzle brake industry for AR's is one that has taken off with a million different designs and so called "features". I haven't tried them all since that would be impossible and unnecessary but I have instead read about them all.

The good ones will all reduce recoil and they all are loud if they are doing the job they're intended to do. The amount of pressure guided back to the shooter or towards shooters at either side of the brake can be annoying at a crowded range so beware. JPRifles makes a brake that is the premium in recoil reduction but blows back into everyone behind it.

http://www.jprifles.com/1.4.2_re.php

At thi same website I bought and have use a Bennie Cooley brake on my ARmalite AR-10 20" rifle with great success and not too many complaints at the range. For my AR15's I use ARmalite two port brake when they sell them for $15. Super cheap, super loud, super effective.

http://i263.photobucket.com/albums/i...s/DSCN0445.jpg

Many of these brakes are prices around their cost of advertizing and the cool factor of their look.

69 OHC ZH Sprint Hurst 3 Speed 3:55 (1 of 213)
99 Valkyrie 1520cc Flat 6 108hp/110tq - For Sale
http://sohcsix.yuku.com/forums/1/OHC-lounge
Wanted: 1969 OHC "H" Camshaft
Old 04-29-2015, 11:45 AM
formerly Steved400

I must admit the cool factor tends to grab me more so.....

Thank you for your knowledge.

Old 04-29-2015, 12:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Any brake is going to be LOUD. While reducing recoil the trade off is a side directed blast that really intensifies the muzzle blast.

Hearing damage can occur with one shot in some calibers or loading, so hearing protection is mandatory.

If it's a range use only rifle, brakes are effective. If it will be a defensive or hunting rifle, I would recommend the standard A2 flash hider only.

www.rcarms.com

Email jbr69gto@gmail.com

My Website www.minnesota-muscle.com

Old 04-29-2015, 01:22 PM
formerly Steved400

We shoot at my property; it would be more of a range type environment.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Certainly looks cool. Which I am all for, but from a practical standpoint I dont see the need. Theres just not much recoil to be had in all the 5.56 ARs I have shot. Its not like its a .375 H&H. But like I said I would totally do it for cool factor.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 04-29-2015, 02:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocktimusPryme View Post
Certainly looks cool. Which I am all for, but from a practical standpoint I dont see the need. Theres just not much recoil to be had in all the 5.56 ARs I have shot. Its not like its a .375 H&H. But like I said I would totally do it for cool factor.
Almost none whatsoever. In the Army, they taught us to place our noses on the charging handle while aiming and firing. Also, our drill sgt demonstrated the lack of recoil by placing the butt of the weapon against his nether region, and then ripped off a full mag in auto mode (M16A1).

Old 04-29-2015, 02:43 PM
formerly Steved400

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69goatboy View Post
Also, our drill sgt demonstrated the lack of recoil by placing the butt of the weapon against his nether region, and then ripped off a full mag in auto mode (M16A1).
No thank you.

Going to install mine now

Old 04-29-2015, 03:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The only way to go is a suppressor, I have several and for 5.56 this one is really good.. The SureFire SOCOM 556 RC Fast-Attach® suppressor is the world’s most advanced 5.56 mm rifle suppressor. Selected for the M4 and Mk18 carbines by US Special Operations Command after placing first in the most extensive and rigorous suppressor testing ever conducted, it also received the USSOCOM official safety verification in support of fielding. Compact and lightweight, the SOCOM556-RC suppressor adds only 4 inches (approximately) to the overall length of your rifle. Like all SureFire Fast-Attach models, the SOCOM556-RC produces minimal, consistent point-of-impact shift compared with the unsuppressed weapon regardless of the number of attach-detach cycles. The SOCOM556-RC features advanced internal venting to reduce back pressure, reducing the suppressed cyclic rate and gas blowback on the operator. The new design also includes an integrated blast shield in the back section that increases durability. SureFire's patent-pending front-plate design, along with proprietary improvements in gas-flow dynamics, nearly eliminates first-round flash, a technological breakthrough in this area. It also attenuates noise and dust signatures to an unprecedented degree. A new indexing system means this suppressor mounts to a current-model SureFire muzzle brake or flash hider even more solidly than our previous versions, and is easier to remove after extended firing since the index tab is in a low carbon-buildup area.
The recoil and muzzle blast is almost zero and you have the added benefit of being able to shoot without hearing protection if you so choose. The problem is they are addictive, you can't have just one, and they can get expensive depending on your caliber choices. Hope the brake works out well for you and if it doesn't go with a suppressor. Check out the silencershop.com for some good prices and a really easy buying process.

Old 04-29-2015, 05:12 PM
formerly Steved400

Done deal, now to shoot it.... I blew through both with my mouth and there is a distinct sound difference.