Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Bring on the boost!!!!! Time for a change

I have had nitrous on my Pontiac since I was 18 years old. As of tomorrow morning my tiger headed nitrous huffing engine will have a new home. And I will start my twin turbo build.

Somewhere along the way, I lost what I loved most about my car. The ability to drive it anywhere. While I drove my car a bit this year, it was not near enough and I was worried about valve springs and fuel the whole time. Plus with a passenger, the bottles have no place to sit. Its just not as fun anymore. I want to go faster, but I want to drive it as well. And with all this engine bay room, my car is just SCREAMING turbo.

So this is my thread that I will document my build from start to finish.

MISSION OBJECTIVE:

Drive my Pontiac WITH A PASSENGER to my local race track, run a 7 second pass and drive it home.

Any input, ideas, suggestions, parts, sponsors, and trash talking is all 100% welcome in this thread. As of right now this is all I know.....

It will be pontiac, it will be turbo, it will be injected. Other than that, I am all ears.

Don Dial Race Cars
Old 11-10-2011, 11:11 PM
Senior Chief

BrandX Your best bet is to talk to Tom Vaught. He is a guru, when it comes to boost. Thanks Rusty

Old 11-11-2011, 01:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Great idea. Can't go wrong with turbos and street manners. Good luck on your build and I'll be watching your progress. I'm looking foward to this. Mark L

Old 11-11-2011, 06:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Awesome!

What I can tell you is that traction and boost management are definitely important.

Making enough power with a pair of 88's will definitely not be a problem to get the job done.

The turbo route once complete is really the better choice as far as I am concerned.

Looking forward to the build info.

Turbo 535, CV 1 heads.

Built by Cerralli Competition Engines

Tenth Anniversary (Van Nuys) restored.
Tenth Anniversary Barn Find (Norwood)
Both 4 speeds!
Old 11-11-2011, 09:13 AM
Boost Engineer

Just for grins, BrandX, post up your weight and the assumed cid & heads of the new engine.

Your car's photo looks like a nicely built "door car" vs a full chassis car. Say it can get down to a 3000# weight (with driver):

Wallace's calculators says "Your HP is 1,162.44 computed from your vehicle weight of 3000 pounds and ET of 7.99 seconds."

To run a legit 7.49, "Your HP is 1,411.12 computed from your vehicle weight of 3000 pounds and ET of 7.49 seconds."

So IF we assumed 1500 hp as a target, you get: "Your ET / MPH computed from your vehicle weight of 3000 pounds and HP of 1500 is 7.34 seconds and MPH of 182.56 MPH." A solid 7 second performance.

So say we assume a 1500 Horsepower target.

A typical engine will make between 9.5 hp and 10.5 hp for EACH "pound of air mass" flowing thru the engine in ONE MINUTE. Not cfm, AIR MASS.

so:

1500 hp divided by 9.5 = 157.9 lbs per minute of air required.
1500 hp divided by 10 = 150 lbs per minute of air required.
1500 hp divided by 10.5 = 142.9 lbs per minute of air required.

Worse case (with a cushion) would say we design for 160 pounds of air mass per minute turbo system. If you want a CFM number: The conversion formula from cfm to lbs./min. is to multiply or divide by 0.0691 depending upon the conversion direction. So we divide 160 pounds of air mass per minute by .0691 and get 2315.5 cfm.

We then go to the Turbonetics site:

http://www.turboneticsinc.com/content/compressor-maps

And we look at the "HP76 Turbocharger Map" as an example: (it is the first large map after you use the link).

It shows that under best conditions we could move 80 lbs of air per minute from one HP76 turbocharger at a little over 20 psi of boost (2.4 pressure ratio on the left side of the map and "80" at the bottom of the map. The compressor efficiency would be about 74%. If you wanted a bit more efficiency you could step up the Pressure Ratio to 2.8
and be in the 76% efficiency island. In reality the maps are typically not perfect as far as efficiency numbers go vs mass flow numbers which are more accurate. mass flow makes power, lower efficiency numbers raises the air temp going into the engine slightly. So you would need TWO HP76 turbos to make about 160 lbs of air mass per minute. You would have a lot of cushion if you only needed 143 lbs of air mass per minute.

A pair of Y2K Turbos (T-88s) would make well over 2000 hp at a 2.4 pressure ratio:
http://www.turboneticsinc.com/sites/...T-88%20Map.jpg

Looking at the Turbonetics catalog:

http://turboneticsinc.com/forum/turb...11_CAT_LOW.pdf

If you look at page 17 of the catalog under the TN series Turbos you will see that the HP76 Turbo is rated at 1000 hp per turbo. lots of room to make power.

TN1000-BB 1000 (Horsepower) HP76 Super-T 4.5"/3.0" F1-68 T4 .96A/R 4-bolt/V-band n/a 11530-BB

That would be my first estimate on how to make your goal.

A Single Turbo Installation using a HP-106 TNX turbo (same basic size as John Welters deal) as we know will make excellent HP and run 6.80s (which John W has done several times).

HP-106 30649 5.50" 20737 (11175 TNX0106 1.32 A/R 1750 HP+)

Tom Vaught

ps the Turbo is just a small part of the whole deal though.

Travis Quillen would also be an excellent resource for this project.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 11-11-2011, 10:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default calculations

Hey Tom, These same figures can be used when figuring on blower size too Correct?? for CFM requirment?

Old 11-11-2011, 11:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Just for grins, BrandX, post up your weight and the assumed cid & heads of the new engine.

Your car's photo looks like a nicely built "door car" vs a full chassis car. Say it can get down to a 3000# weight (with driver):

Wallace's calculators says "Your HP is 1,162.44 computed from your vehicle weight of 3000 pounds and ET of 7.99 seconds."

To run a legit 7.49, "Your HP is 1,411.12 computed from your vehicle weight of 3000 pounds and ET of 7.49 seconds."

So IF we assumed 1500 hp as a target, you get: "Your ET / MPH computed from your vehicle weight of 3000 pounds and HP of 1500 is 7.34 seconds and MPH of 182.56 MPH." A solid 7 second performance.

So say we assume a 1500 Horsepower target.

A typical engine will make between 9.5 hp and 10.5 hp for EACH "pound of air mass" flowing thru the engine in ONE MINUTE. Not cfm, AIR MASS.

so:

1500 hp divided by 9.5 = 157.9 lbs per minute of air required.
1500 hp divided by 10 = 150 lbs per minute of air required.
1500 hp divided by 10.5 = 142.9 lbs per minute of air required.

Worse case (with a cushion) would say we design for 160 pounds of air mass per minute turbo system. If you want a CFM number: The conversion formula from cfm to lbs./min. is to multiply or divide by 0.0691 depending upon the conversion direction. So we divide 160 pounds of air mass per minute by .0691 and get 2315.5 cfm.

We then go to the Turbonetics site:

http://www.turboneticsinc.com/content/compressor-maps

And we look at the "HP76 Turbocharger Map" as an example: (it is the first large map after you use the link).

It shows that under best conditions we could move 80 lbs of air per minute from one HP76 turbocharger at a little over 20 psi of boost (2.4 pressure ratio on the left side of the map and "80" at the bottom of the map. The compressor efficiency would be about 74%. If you wanted a bit more efficiency you could step up the Pressure Ratio to 2.8
and be in the 76% efficiency island. In reality the maps are typically not perfect as far as efficiency numbers go vs mass flow numbers which are more accurate. mass flow makes power, lower efficiency numbers raises the air temp going into the engine slightly. So you would need TWO HP76 turbos to make about 160 lbs of air mass per minute. You would have a lot of cushion if you only needed 143 lbs of air mass per minute.

A pair of Y2K Turbos (T-88s) would make well over 2000 hp at a 2.4 pressure ratio:
http://www.turboneticsinc.com/sites/...T-88%20Map.jpg

Looking at the Turbonetics catalog:

http://turboneticsinc.com/forum/turb...11_CAT_LOW.pdf

If you look at page 17 of the catalog under the TN series Turbos you will see that the HP76 Turbo is rated at 1000 hp per turbo. lots of room to make power.

TN1000-BB 1000 (Horsepower) HP76 Super-T 4.5"/3.0" F1-68 T4 .96A/R 4-bolt/V-band n/a 11530-BB

That would be my first estimate on how to make your goal.

A Single Turbo Installation using a HP-106 TNX turbo (same basic size as John Welters deal) as we know will make excellent HP and run 6.80s (which John W has done several times).

HP-106 30649 5.50" 20737 (11175 TNX0106 1.32 A/R 1750 HP+)

Tom Vaught

ps the Turbo is just a small part of the whole deal though.

Travis Quillen would also be an excellent resource for this project.
Excellent reply Tom. Part of the planning should also include type fuel intended. Intercooling and water injection are part of the picture. If pump gas, the practical/probable pressure ratio has to be taken into consideration when choosing the turbo. If for example you set an arbitrary boost psi of say 15 , you need to choose a turbo that can meet the mass flow requirements of the HP desired at that psi level while staying out of surge zone or getting into choke.

I'll also add that you wont need maximum bore size or stroke to acheive/exceed your goal. (Or turn very high rpm for that matter).

I like your goal though. I'm not looking for your ET level with my build but I too like driving my car. Would love to drive all the way to Norwalk run some respectable numbers and drive home. Turbo gives the motor that flexability. The real challenge for me will be keeping the chassis combo flexible enough for a 1000 mile round trip and still be able to run quick numbers.

Good luck with your project I'll be following it closely.

Old 11-11-2011, 02:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It looks like the turbo conversion is spreading. I'd be watching your build as you always build a Bad Ass setup. Good luck.

Old 11-11-2011, 03:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Forgot to warn you turbos can be like crack... once exposed you are hooked forever. My first introduction was in 68 when I took a ride in a friends 65 Corvair Corsa turbo. (An animal compared to my $35.00 road rat standard Corvair I was drivin a year later) Left an impression for sure.

Old 11-11-2011, 04:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Woo Hoo, Go for it BrandX

Many of us have seen this video here, Larry Larson's 6 second Nova & Drag Week winner

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lwF-kr91uxU