Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 02-05-2013, 07:35 PM
Pontiac Performance Author

Isky made a black , degreed, small BLOWERDRIVE hub. what'sthe dia. of the hub you have. if it's about 4-1/2" it's a Pont. '77 hub. If it's about 5-1/4" it's a '64-'67 hub.

Old 02-05-2013, 10:41 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN CROCIE View Post
TV & CH : you old guys are sure forgetful! Remember Pontiac used solid,no damper, hubs in '76-'77.Those engines used a bolt on timing tab as well. Maybe this is what joe has. I wouldn't use it either. The '67 and earlier engines used a solid hub with a bolt on dampener. maybe one of those found it's way to joes engine.
Not Forgetful, Young Crocie, LOL, I have owned a 64 GTO from day 1 and therefore know all about the early solid Hub with the 6 bolt bolt on balancer. I also know about the 76-77 solid hub, which was the one I was looking for, to use for my little project.

Got any laying around?

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 02-05-2013, 10:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The 64-68 hub also makes a nice degree wheel mount.
PPR sells an SFI approved balancer for the 64-68 applications.

Old 02-07-2013, 12:07 AM

This one is about 8" diameter, and outer ring is about 3/4" to 7/8" thick, just like a stock one. It only has one TDC mark, no name or numbers. I cleaned it up looking for any identification.

Block is at shop being bored out, water damage was deeper then .040", we are hoping .060" will clean it up.

Joe

Old 02-08-2013, 08:36 PM
Boost Engineer

Your balancer might be a version of the old Pioneer Balancer, which was a elastomer balancer like a factory part. Pretty basic to look at but worked well.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 04-11-2013, 01:07 AM
Senior Chief

I wanted to provide an update to the thread. My name is Jeff and I have acquired Mike's setup as his path has taken a turn. I will also be learning as much as possible about what will be required to get this system operational on my vehicle. It will be installed on my 76 Fire Am. The car is a 49k original miles survivor that is mostly stage 2 with some stage 3 parts. Unfortunately, I do not know what type of cam was installed, but the car is already running MSD ignition with a performer intake, holley carb and headers. I am intrigued with the possibility of F.I. But currently I will be in the parts search stage. Here is a pic of the car.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:34 AM

Default another update

I might as well update Jim's car for you. We are still working on the basic engine. As you may know, the block turned out to be water damaged in three of the bores. Jim located a second block, it also needed a little work due to rust. The block is finished ( .060" over) and ready to build, correct code and all. The shop went to install the new pistons and found the rods to be bad. In a previous build, oversize wrist pins were installed. No problem you say, well it is when the small rod end is honed out! The stock wrist pins fall out of the rod ends, and the oversized ones don't hold tight enough to suit us. We have purchased new rods.

I hoping to get going on this soon.

Joe

Old 04-11-2013, 08:00 PM
Pontiac performance Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamn69 View Post
I wanted to provide an update to the thread. My name is Jeff and I have acquired Mike's setup as his path has taken a turn. I will also be learning as much as possible about what will be required to get this system operational on my vehicle. It will be installed on my 76 Fire Am. (snip)
PM me if you have any Qs about the TurboForce.

Old 04-11-2013, 08:28 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks Craig. I will probably have many once I prepare to dive in but it will probably not happen until fall at the earliest. I am trying to finish my 79 w72 Formula "freshen up" first.

Old 05-08-2013, 07:30 PM
Pontiac performance Author

Default TurboForce decal

For those of you who've never seen it, here's a scan of the 3.5IN version of the H-O "TurboForce" stylized decal. We had a graphics artist design it. There are 3 sizes 3.5IN, 4.875IN and 5.0IN. They were usually applied to the top of the pressure bonnet upon kit shipment, but some customers wanted more to apply elsewhere, hence the 3 sizes. No, these are no longer available, but I do have scans of same. PM me if you want a JPG of the decal.

Old 05-20-2013, 02:31 AM
Senior Chief

Even had it trade marked.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:10 PM

Default H-O Turbo Force update...

Thanks to a ton of work, Joe Hand has the engine for #202 up and running better than ever. He has restored it to period correct for what DKM would have installed in '78. It will be shown at the Kansas City POCI event on June 1st in Kansas City.

The next step will be installation back into the car!

A huge thanks to Joe Hand, Keith Rhoads and Craig Hendrickson for their dedication, time and interest!

Old 05-27-2013, 11:24 PM
Senior Chief

I wish I could see it. Any chance you will be coming to the Trans Am Nationals in August?

Old 05-28-2013, 09:32 AM

Default TA Nationals

Jeff-

Man, I would love to come to the Nationals in August, however, for this year the car won't be done. There is still some minor work after the engine is installed and then more time in the paint shop before the interior is completed.

I anticipate #202 being ready by this time next year!

Jim

Old 09-18-2013, 10:13 PM

Default Macho #202 update

I had #202 taken over to Joe Hands house a week ago Monday. He has started on plumbing the exhaust under the engine, out the turbo and into a pair of NOS converters. We'll get a local muffler shop to finish running the exhaust back to the tail pipes next. Joe is working on the rest of the installation as well. #202 should be breathing and alive soon!

Last edited by 78Macho; 09-18-2013 at 10:14 PM. Reason: misspelled word
The Following User Says Thank You to 78Macho For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2013, 09:16 PM
Senior Chief

Great to hear! Mine is still in the research and purchase phase, plus I have a new garage going in so that delaying things as well.

Old 10-18-2013, 04:35 PM

Default Alive again after 20 years....

It is official, Turbo Macho Trans Am #202 is alive again after sitting dormant and dead for over 20 years!

Joe Hand started the car this afternoon, one click of the key and it fired right up! Joe has worked tirelessly on getting the car back in its original form: trunk mounted battery with safety switch, rear mounted Red electric Holley fuel pump, H-O tuned, numbers matching quadrajet carb, and Rajay turbocharger.

Will keep you posted on more progress and pictures!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 78Macho For This Useful Post:
Old 10-18-2013, 05:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Congrats! look forward to the pictures.

Mike.

Old 10-18-2013, 07:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Awesome!

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 12-24-2013, 12:41 AM

Any more info?