Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 06-15-2015, 08:31 PM
Boost Engineer

Default A little EFI Intake I put together from some parts I had laying around

Can you tell me what parts I used? (Click on Picture to see larger version)

This intake is designed for boost as well as NA use. (note the "O-Ring" groove machined between the bathtub and the top lid).

Tom Vaught
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EFI Intake -1.jpg
Views:	658
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	400555   Click image for larger version

Name:	EFI Intake -2.jpg
Views:	562
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	400556   Click image for larger version

Name:	EFI Intake -3.jpg
Views:	480
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	400557   Click image for larger version

Name:	EFI Intake -4.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	400558  

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 06-15-2015 at 08:36 PM.
Old 06-15-2015, 08:39 PM

Doug Nash tunnel ram for the base.

Old 06-15-2015, 09:39 PM

Plenum looks like Holley Ls

Old 06-15-2015, 11:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
Doug Nash tunnel ram for the base.
I was thinking Warrior or Doug Nash base as well.

Interesting piece there Tom.

Old 06-16-2015, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree on the base(have one sitting around also). Bungs welded in look liek they were cast in!Looks neat Tom!

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 06-16-2015, 12:57 PM
Senior Chief

That is probably the best version of that combo (LS top half with dual quad bottom) I have seen so far. I really wish there was a dual quad intake that you could start with that would support a wide port head setup.

Did you use the bath tub base with the adapter plate because Warrior base wouldn't line up with the 300-321?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Holley 300_231.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	400588  

71 Firebird, best 1/8th mile time of 5.02 at 142 at altitude in Vegas
Old 06-16-2015, 01:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Someone did a nice job on the radius inlets inside the plenum.

Looks like a valve seat...

Tom you been playing at work???

Damn fine workmanship!!

Old 06-16-2015, 01:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is that my wife's cake pan??

The Silver Buick- '77 Skylark coupe w/455, SPX, MegaSquirt 3 & TKO-600 (Drag Week 2011, 2012 & 2015!)

1969 Firebird with a turbo'd Pontiac L6 controlled by a MegaSquirt 3 and backed with a microsquirt controlled 4L60e and 4.56 gears! (Drag Week 2018!)
Old 06-16-2015, 04:48 PM
Boost Engineer

The Lower Intake was a unfinished Doug Nash Aluminum Intake (intake did not have Warrior on it anywhere) for a Traditional Pontiac Engine (think 64 GTO).

A few years ago I added EFI Bosses to the runners but could not decide what to do with the upper intake part.

The Lower NASH intake was designed to mount 2 Holley 1150 Dominator Carbs on it (sideways) as a Individual Runner intake (like a Hilborn injection set-up).

The Upper NASH/Warrior Intake was made to mount a pair of 660 cfm carbs or 750 cfm carbs from the manufacturer (but I never had that part).

The "bathtub" us the upper lid to mount a pair of Dominator carbs on a LS Lower Intake. I machined out the as cast discharge machining from the carb throttles going to the plenum and welded in a 1/2" thick rectangle of aluminum then drilled the mounting holes for the flipped bathtub to mount on the Nash intake.

Then I did the calculations to determine the additional runner length I needed inside the plenum for the rpm my 380 cubic inch (3.5" stroke) Pontiac engine needed at 7500 rpm.

The radius air horn was supposed to be individual for each runner but after discussing with the CNC guys we did the "grouped cluster design as it was actually easier to make.
The cluster is held in place by a center fastener but the fastener could be removed to lengthen the tubes, but I would also have to make a spacer ring for the intake if a big change in length was required.

The bathtub (as was said) is a Holley LS engine part. The upper lid is also a Holley LS part and uses a 105mm Throttle Body.

The Injectors will probably be 96# injectors but I do have 160# injectors (new) same size as ones that were run successfully on a World Champion "Super Street" Mustang (347 cid engine) years ago with a Vortech XX Supercharger.

I believe everything will fit under the hood of my 64 GTO.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 06-16-2015 at 04:54 PM.
Old 06-17-2015, 07:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice job Tom, that manifold makes my modified Offy intake look like it was made up in a shed by an amateur.....hang on, mine was made in a shed by an amateur!

Old 06-17-2015, 09:16 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by taff2 View Post
Nice job Tom, that manifold makes my modified Offy intake look like it was made up in a shed by an amateur.....hang on, mine was made in a shed by an amateur!

Tom V.

Old 06-18-2015, 01:20 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Looks good. I can agree to starting with the Doug Nash design. Is the 7,500 RPM the peak-power goal, or is it the maximum you plan to spin the engine?

This isn't a "loaded" question; I'm merely curious: when you say "... I added bungs...", "... I machined...", etc.,- do you "make chips" yourself, either in a home shop or in employer's shops?

Old 06-18-2015, 04:06 PM
Boost Engineer

I did the calculations for runner length vs RPM of the intake at peak power (3rd harmonic) and that is what the length is. From valve head to entry radius on the intake.

At Ford (in our Research Building, we have 9 "Fadal 6030" CNC Machining Centers (60x30), two HAAS "VF 12/40 CNC Machining Centers, and two TL-2 HAAS CNC Lathes.
We also have a "FLOW" CNC Water Jet (Mach 4C) in another wing of the building. So we have lots of capability to machine parts.

We even have a "Do It Yourself" Machining Room for the employees with a full capability of tools including a Bridgeport mill and a lathe. So I could make the EFI "Bungs" quite easily on my own time, which I did. We have a UAW Master Welder in the building. State of the art TIG equipment.

Even though I did welding for a living 10 hrs a day for a few years during summer breaks from the university, that does not make me a Master Welder 30+ years later.
Someone else did the welding of the bungs I made on the intake. I positioned them and he welded them on.

No real use for me to TRY to do a task that a Master Fabricator, Master CNC Machinist, or Master Welder can do better. I did the Intake design and I paid for the Fabrication/welding to be done outside of Ford. When these individual people made suggestions on the process I listened vs falsely assuming that I could match their skills.

So did that answer your questions, Jack.

Building multiple Pontiac Engines over 40 years does not make you a Master Fabricator, Master CNC Machinist, or Master Welder. But I do have 40+ years of experience designing automotive inductions systems, Boosted and NA.

Tom Vaught

Old 06-19-2015, 02:45 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

... that's 58 years of building Pontiac V8 engines...

My curiosity was merely whether, like me, you enjoy the "simple pleasure" of making chips. Thanks for answering.

Old 06-19-2015, 06:44 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Gifford View Post
My curiosity was merely whether, like me, you enjoy the "simple pleasure" of making chips. Thanks for answering.
I do like making WOOD CHIPS and furniture for my friends.

Been watching Norm Abrams "The New Yankee Workshop" and planning for a similar shop for when I retire. So you got it partially right Jack.

I leave the metal chips to the contacts I have in the Detroit area.

Tom V.

It was nice getting some more "Wood" at the Awards Ceremony last week.

"Wood" as in wood plaque Patent Awards.

Old 06-25-2015, 10:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom,
That is an AWESOME intake!! I love the use of parts!!

Help me out: When I first got into Pontiacs in the latter 80's, Mid-America/Warrior Racing was a company I encountered while searching for parts when H~O Racing was out of stock on something I 'needed' right away.
Did Warrior Racing retool Doug Nash stuff as their own, did Doug Nash build/market under Mid-America or Warrior Racing, or was it something else like an out-right copy of Nash stuff???
I ask because I noticed the WARRIOR script on your lower, yet you said it was a Doug Nash piece, and I've seen a few people over the years who've said their stuff was Doug Nash too, but had WARRIOR on it.
Was WARRIOR the name of Doug Nash's intake?
Sorry to take it off subject, but I've always been curious about this.
Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	warriorefi.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	115.8 KB
ID:	401275  

Old 06-25-2015, 08:33 PM
Boost Engineer

Made a mistake on the Warrior name on the intake, I have two, one without the name.

You can buy a EFI intake manifold from Kinsler Fuel Injection for the RAM AIR III & IV engines but $$$$

Tom Vaught
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Pontiac efi manifold.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	401326  

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 06-25-2015 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-25-2015, 10:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I admire the construction/fabrication of your intake- was just curious about the Doug Nash/Warrior connection.
Hope you didn't take it as a slight.

Old 06-26-2015, 09:24 AM
Boost Engineer

Nope, not at all. I was going to post a bit of info on the "ALGON" Ram Air V mechanical injection system parts and the Doug Nash TR parts vs the Warrior parts but it was getting too messy and I can do that in a different thread. There was some reason why I chose the intake i did for the latest update but I forget why I picked the Warrior one vs the other one.

I had a discussion on the forum about an early 421 SD intake. The intake I pulled off the shelf was a MT intake that was very close in appearance but was missing the last number of the part number. So I probably sold the factory intake and kept the MT but thought I still had the factory unit in the shelf. Hard to keep track sometimes when you are not a collector or a parts mover.

Tom V.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 06-26-2015 at 09:35 AM.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
The Lower Intake was a unfinished Doug Nash Aluminum Intake (intake did not have Warrior on it anywhere) for a Traditional Pontiac Engine (think 64 GTO).

A few years ago I added EFI Bosses to the runners but could not decide what to do with the upper intake part.

The Lower NASH intake was designed to mount 2 Holley 1150 Dominator Carbs on it (sideways) as a Individual Runner intake (like a Hilborn injection set-up).

The Upper NASH/Warrior Intake was made to mount a pair of 660 cfm carbs or 750 cfm carbs from the manufacturer (but I never had that part).

The "bathtub" us the upper lid to mount a pair of Dominator carbs on a LS Lower Intake. I machined out the as cast discharge machining from the carb throttles ....

I believe everything will fit under the hood of my 64 GTO.

Tom Vaught
Really; that's darn good. Any idea if that would fit under a 68 GTO hood?

Sold 2003: 12.00/112MPH/1.61 60'/26"x3.31:1/10"/469 #48/245-255-110LSA/Q-Jet-Torker/3650Lbs//18MPG 94oct
Sold 1994: 11.00/123MPH/1.50 60'/29.5"x4.10:1/10"/469 #48/245-255-110LSA/Dual600s-Wenzler/3250Lbs//94oct