Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 10-18-2007, 05:07 PM
Senior Chief

Default Any A&P mechanics here???

Any Airframe and powerplant mechanics here that can give me some advice?
I graduated in Dec 06 and got my A&P in Jan 07. I'm having a horrible time trying to find a decent job. I have 14 yrs experience with a major airline as a customer service agent but, that doesn't seem to help. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thx Eric

1965 GTO, 408 tri-power, 4 speed, Currie 12 bolt w/3:42's, Hurst wheels
Old 10-18-2007, 06:13 PM
Senior Chief

Eric,
I have been in the aviation industry for 18 years, I am also an A&P. It is tuff to get a job if you are green, you will have to start at the botton. I really don't have any secrets to offer beside getting to know people in the industy in your area. Go to the airports and get to know the shops and the people. If you want to to move to SanMarcos Texas I know a paint shop that needs and A & P. Sorry I am not more help.

Walter Lansing

Old 10-18-2007, 07:26 PM
Senior Chief

That whole deal with the Northwest mechanics going on strike a while back seems to be really hurting me. There is alot of guys out there with experience looking for jobs too. I've had 3 interviews but, how can I compete with those guys? It would seem to me that they would want a mix of experience levels. At some point they have to train us new guys. Right??

Old 10-19-2007, 12:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Are you interested in relocating, or are you trying to stay in your area? I see a lot of ads in the Phoenix careerbuilder.com for A&P mechanics.

Old 10-19-2007, 09:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Check out www.forums.amtonline.com/

Old 10-20-2007, 01:22 PM
Senior Chief

Cool thanks!

Old 10-20-2007, 09:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry, should be http://forums.amtonline.com/

Also see http://www.pama.org/

Old 10-24-2007, 08:27 PM

Eric, I'm also an A&P. I work for FEDEX now, but it was a long road to get here. I got hired right out of school for Northwest Airlink commuter airline. I stayed there 6 years..... Wasn't making very much, but working on any aircraft is time you need. I also had to move across the country to get on with FEDEX, out of my pocket. It's all good now to be working, but yes it's not a good time to be looking for a job. Try the airports around you for an F.B.O. needing someone. If you can move, get applications for commuter airlines first, repair stations, and companies like Mobile areospace, Timco, Pemco (contracted C-checks) also. I'm sorry but your not going to start out with a great job, you'll have to work your way up to one. The road may not be easy, but it's worth it . David

1977 Pontiac Can Am, firethorn interior- buckets/console,tilt,tach and a/c, posi and rally II's. I'm the 4th owner, and happy it's mine! I tried to buy my first one in 1986, 20 years later I finally got one! Then Only after a few fun years, needed to sell it.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:16 PM

Send your resume' to Cessna. They are on target for a record year, again.

Old 10-25-2007, 04:28 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by dblsprt68
Eric, I'm also an A&P. I work for FEDEX now, but it was a long road to get here. I got hired right out of school for Northwest Airlink commuter airline. I stayed there 6 years..... Wasn't making very much, but working on any aircraft is time you need. I also had to move across the country to get on with FEDEX, out of my pocket. It's all good now to be working, but yes it's not a good time to be looking for a job. Try the airports around you for an F.B.O. needing someone. If you can move, get applications for commuter airlines first, repair stations, and companies like Mobile areospace, Timco, Pemco (contracted C-checks) also. I'm sorry but your not going to start out with a great job, you'll have to work your way up to one. The road may not be easy, but it's worth it . David

What's the latest with the new hub in GSO? Are they planning to do any MX there? I used to live there and have a sister that still lives there.

Old 10-25-2007, 06:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In the 70's there became an abundance of A+P guys when the Military cut back after Vietnam. Any good paying jobs were in miserable places and still hard to get. I worked at a small semi private feild part time and cross trained. Began fixing office equipment instead. Easy work lots of ladies to meet and reasonable pay. Auto shops wouldnt hire claiming you were over qualified and other BS. Computer techs were high pay for awhile but their pay scales havent grown much in past 10 years or so. Medical equip repair pays good and seems to still be in demand. After aircraft everything else seems easy. So dont get to hung up on what youve schooled for. I know a girl who majored in biology (bachelors degree) ended up head of an IT dept of a large utility. makin 6 figures, never went to "computer school". Go figure! Good luck!

Old 10-25-2007, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hurst65
What's the latest with the new hub in GSO? Are they planning to do any MX there? I used to live there and have a sister that still lives there.
Eric, I sent an e-mail to my old buddy that works there. I'll give you an answer when I get it from him. What I've heard, is they aren't going to be hiring for a while, and they are happy with the people already working there. I'm not sure about how big the MX part is going to be eventually either. Those jobs when they do come up will more the likely be an internal bid(people already working here). There is hope for you in Memphis, we are now building a new hangar for our Brand New 777 cargo planes . We also are getting 757's converted to cargo. If you don't mind moving to Memphis, Indy or LA, Ca. send me a PM and we'll talk offline. David

1977 Pontiac Can Am, firethorn interior- buckets/console,tilt,tach and a/c, posi and rally II's. I'm the 4th owner, and happy it's mine! I tried to buy my first one in 1986, 20 years later I finally got one! Then Only after a few fun years, needed to sell it.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:33 PM
Senior Chief

Bruce- I hear what your saying. I originally went to school to be a machinist. I decided I didn't want to do that. It just seemed too boring at the time. I'm kind of glad I did because it seems like most of the good machinist and tool and die jobs have gone to China.
I really enjoy working around planes. Working for an airline I have been able to travel to some really cool places. I love the flight benefits. One part of me wants to continue working for a major airline. However, given the current state of the industry, one part of me really questions it.

I really want to work on heavies

Last edited by Hurst65; 10-25-2007 at 08:21 PM.
Old 10-26-2007, 05:55 PM
Senior Chief

For what it is worth I was speaking with my friend who runs the FBO at SanMarcos and he mentioned that the Border Partol has recieved some large sum of money and is greatly increasing the size of it's aircraft fleet. More aircraft means more maintenance??????

Old 10-26-2007, 06:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow interesting topic.

I got my A/P in 98 but gave up on the industry after a few years. Looked like I was never going to get decent compensation. Ran into dishonest shops and had a hard time finding options. I even did avionics repairs for BFGoodrich and bench work. I moved to IT too. Ended up being safer, cleaner, more rewarding, better paying and more diverse. It's been a long road for sure. I always kinda wondered if it were just suppressed here in Texas or the whole industry.

I still get email and mail from Aviation recruiters oddly enough.

Depressing to see it is widespread.

Old 10-27-2007, 12:44 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donovan
Wow interesting topic.

I got my A/P in 98 but gave up on the industry after a few years. Looked like I was never going to get decent compensation. Ran into dishonest shops and had a hard time finding options. I even did avionics repairs for BFGoodrich and bench work. I moved to IT too. Ended up being safer, cleaner, more rewarding, better paying and more diverse. It's been a long road for sure. I always kinda wondered if it were just suppressed here in Texas or the whole industry.

I still get email and mail from Aviation recruiters oddly enough.

Depressing to see it is widespread.

During the late 90's the airlines were doing great and working for one was a good job.
However, since 9/11 with all the cutbacks things got pretty bad. If you were in a hub or a big outstation you were safe but, if you were'nt most employees got the shaft.

Some people blame the unions for not doing enough to protect their jobs and pay. The truth of the matter is that the government and the bankruptcy judges are the ones that really screwed them. I think those poor people at Northwest, USair and, United got it the worst. The bankruptcy judges should have never been allowed to void those peoples pension plans and their contracts! Especially while their CEO's were getting multi-million $$ bonuses.

The industry is so competitive that once one airline starts to cut it's costs through paycuts, ellimination of jobs through subcontracting, etc, etc,... the others usually have to do the samething.

If you ask me, I think the industry needs some mild government regulation.

Old 10-28-2007, 02:19 PM
Senior Chief

Default A&P job

Hello I live and work here in Tucson Az. Currently Bombardier aircraft services is looking for several mechanics. I believe they are starting out around 18 per hour working up to 24 per hour depending on years of experiance. let me know if interested at all and I can give you some more information John