Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 10-27-2007, 08:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Any experience with online shopping carts...

or Emerchant services.

Looking for feedback on the process of how an order is handled, paid for and fees associated with the process.

YES, I will google this. I am looking for first hand experience as well.

john

Old 10-29-2007, 12:58 PM
Administrator

There are lots of different ways you can go. Here's one I've personally used.

If you are planning on doing the billing yourself (with your own CC machine), I've used this site for collecting orders and customer info securely (and it's free)

http://www.mals-e.com/

They also have a service you can pay for where they will bill the CC's for you but I've never used it.

I've also seen lots of companies use Amazon Marketplace. It might be worth looking into.

Steve

Old 10-29-2007, 04:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not sure what type your looking for, but on my old website I used the free cart that paypal provides. It worked perfectly and the funds went directly into my paypal account. They write all the codes through paypal. They even add the drop downs for options (size and color). Its very easy.

Alll of my items in the old site (the same in my ebay store) were drop shipped. I got the paypal debit card and each order that came in was paid for right away with the Paypal debit card (Visa logo) directly to the vendor. I never saw any of the money unitl I was ready to spend it. It still works great.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Essentially you use an online Credit card processor service to accept, and authorize the charge. They accept that aspect of the the risk. (These services are always different services then Card Present accounts you might have through your bank that are allowing you to accept Credit Cards at a retail counter into your Merchant Checking Account. Fees are different, Minimums are different due to fraud issues. In reality some banks would like to charge you more simply for taking orders over the phone.)

The orders that are made on your site through that processor are posted to a secure accoun/site for you to review/fullfill and to have a record of.

Then you as the merchant must "fullfill" that purchase. You usually do that on a secure website you visit, by checking off that the purchase was "fullfilled" Even if it doesn't actually get Shipped but simply fullfilled.

Then that Credit Card processor deposits the money it authorized into your business checking account (minus Fees)
Paypal is thought of as the "Checking Account" in those PayPal scenarios.

Thats basically the process..

Work
'67 GTO Convertible "Koerner Built 413 500 hp with a Victor!.. I'll run a stock intake."
'75 Formula 400 - Daily Driver -
Running with my Home Built 455 and TH400

Details here:
http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=588372

Last edited by vidguy; 10-30-2007 at 12:11 AM.
Old 10-29-2007, 09:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidguy
Essentially you use an online Credit card processor service to accept, and authorize the charge. These services are always different services then Card Present accounts you might have through your bank that are allowing you to accept Credit Cards at a retail counter into your Merchant Checking Account. Fees are different, Minimums are different due to fraud issues. In reality some banks would like to charge you more simply for taking orders over the phone..

These orders are posted to a secure account for you to review and to have a record of.

Then you as the merchant must "fullfill" that purchase. You usually do that on that secure website you visit, by checking off that the purchase was "shipped" Even if it doesnt really get Shipped.

Then the processor deposits the money into the associated business checking account (minus Fees)
Paypal is thougth of as the "Checking Account" in those PayPal scenarios.

Thats basically the process..
Maybe this is over my head......whats the point of your post??

Old 10-29-2007, 11:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

He asked how online processing worked..What don't you understand? I'd be glad to help you out.

Work
'67 GTO Convertible "Koerner Built 413 500 hp with a Victor!.. I'll run a stock intake."

Details here:
Old 10-30-2007, 03:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the info.

Is it safe to assume that I will get a summary from each business day? Each summary might include; amount paid, address and product ordered?

I prefer not to get an email for each and every transaction.

I am developing a few electrical products. No other info now that I care to make public.

John

Old 10-30-2007, 03:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Its been a while, but you can log into Payapl and see your transactions. Im not sure if there was any other way other than an online statement.

I htink they send notifacation on all transactions made. If you dont want to receive an email for everything, just make an email address that woud accept those messages only. Very simple. The only downfall ot that is that it would have to be your account email address. So make sure its one that will be around for a while.

Old 10-30-2007, 03:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by vidguy
He asked how online processing worked..What don't you understand? I'd be glad to help you out.
My mistake. I read it wrong. Good explanation.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Is it safe to assume that I will get a summary from each business day? Each summary might include; amount paid, address and product ordered?
Yes
You "get" a summary in near real time, but you generally go and GET it yourself by logging in. You probably shouldn't get that sent around as you have mentioned.

I have attached 2 viewsof the orders that are placed in a merchant account we use: LinkPoint

It will show you the status (declined, Accepted) and all other pertinent info. I removed any obvious info....

You are required to go in and "Fulfill" the orders by marking them "Shipped" in this case. Some Merchant Accounts will call this Fulfilled, etc..

That is a basic premise of online merchant processing; that the Card Processor won't deposit your funds until you complete your end of the transaction.. Or at least Say you did, by marking them as such.

You do not have to get an email, that can be handled in either the Code the website developer creates or in the Account Management Console (like the one pictured here) settings..

Like stated, If you have a PayPal account, go in and look at your PayPal account "history" of sales or purchases, it's very similar to what a merchant account looks like.

Without getting into a PayPal discussion, One basic difference is that PayPal also acts as a bank for CASH transactions..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	linkpoint-account.gif
Views:	22
Size:	101.2 KB
ID:	109726   Click image for larger version

Name:	linkpoint-account_detail.gif
Views:	19
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	109728  

Work

Details here:

Last edited by vidguy; 10-30-2007 at 06:57 PM.
Old 10-30-2007, 07:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Very good. Appreciate the help.

John