THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 10-03-2009, 09:13 AM
Senior Chief

Default I am officially changing my signature....

in honor of the guys you run into that don't even have a vintage car but like to ask questions about why it's not as good as the latest one they saw on the cover of a magazine.

"Yes, it's a real GTO. I know the scoops, spoiler, exhaust tips, and rear wheels are wrong. Umm, sure it's the 'big block' 400, you are quite the expert. I am driving in the rain, at night, running errands, with the kids who are eating and having ice cream in the back, after going to the drag strip, burning rubber, and blowing donuts. Do you really think it's numbers matching all original?"
Old 10-03-2009, 09:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramairthreegto View Post
in honor of the guys you run into that don't even have a vintage car but like to ask questions about why it's not as good as the latest one they saw on the cover of a magazine.

LOL, or the one they almost had back in the day that they didn't get because they didn't have the money after they ordered it, yada yada yada the 67 Goat with a 421 "six pack" special order ramit aired.... I know that guy

"Its never too late to have a happy childhood"!

I told my dad I was going to stop raising hell, and he called me a quitter!
Old 10-03-2009, 09:48 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

We drive an Omega....

Or hear "Hey, is that a Nova?"

DONE 11.738 @ 114 mph

See my thread in Best Pontiac Stories
http://forums.performanceyears.com/f...d.php?t=598985

Mrs. Rob B as of 9/25/2010

THE BEAR KILLER
Old 10-03-2009, 09:52 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You forgot to add.. and where is your muscle car? or even one without front wheel drive? I hate those guys. They see my Sprint and the first thing they say. where's the 400 big block?
I tell them it's on the engine stand getting ready for bigger things than you.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i guess i'm not sick of the ignorant people yet. i still find them rather amusing.

Old 10-03-2009, 10:29 AM

Or how about "if you really want to go fast you should put a Chebby in it"

A government is a body of people, usually, notably ungoverned-shepherd brook in firefly

join the PY group on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...8742503&ref=ts

become a fan of PY on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...9458653?ref=ts
Old 10-03-2009, 11:05 AM

I took almost all badging off mine. Only have the Firebird emblem on header, and Pontiac in grill. I do have the T/A fenders though. I get "Nice Camaro" all the time. Thats the only one that get nutty about

#16 heads
3.73 rear
th-400
Old 10-03-2009, 12:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierced mikey View Post

Like #1 Mikey, do you copy all my work?..............LMAO..................

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 10-03-2009, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post

Like #1 Mikey, do you copy all my work?..............LMAO..................
Nah, demented minds just think alike Maybe I should come up with slogans for you lol

A government is a body of people, usually, notably ungoverned-shepherd brook in firefly

join the PY group on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...8742503&ref=ts

become a fan of PY on facebook: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gi...9458653?ref=ts
Old 10-03-2009, 06:11 PM
Senior Chief

Another great day with the goat. I drove past a car show where I saw about thirty guys baking in the sun. Only pontiac I saw was a 1st Gen firebird. I stopped and got a dirty look for just parking and looking and not registering. There was also a nice 68 Impala convertible- would be equivalent Pontiac be a Catalina?

The only snide comment I got today was "Were those hood pins a factory option?" from someone who for sure knew they were not. I said "Sure were, on a 70 Chevelle SS."

Anyways-
I went to and from the kid's soccer game, ran an errand, had to go to work for a couple of hours, got gas on way home, ran another errand. All in all 100 miles on the goat today, and loved every minute of it.

"Yes, it's a real GTO. I know the scoops, spoiler, exhaust tips, and rear wheels are wrong. Umm, sure it's the 'big block' 400, you are quite the expert. I am driving in the rain, at night, running errands, with the kids who are eating and having ice cream in the back, after going to the drag strip, burning rubber, and blowing donuts. Do you really think it's numbers matching all original?"

Last edited by ramairthreegto; 10-03-2009 at 06:19 PM.
Old 10-04-2009, 01:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

I think that you have a very nice GTO.

Old 10-04-2009, 01:12 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks cuz68. Admittedly though, it looks far minter in pictures than up close.
The funny thing is, I had no plans to judge clone it when I got it.
Like many have said, in the 80s, the judge markings and 8 tracks were just plain dated and cheesy. Now, they have gotten old enough to be retro cool again. The spoilers and hood tachs were totally cool by then, although I guess when they first came out people would order the ram air option on a gto and get the performance but forgo the extra graphics, which were a little out there when they first came out. Kind of like 69 dodge Daytonas sitting on lots and in showrooms forever.

It, in my opinion, needed "something." That something was going to be putting its black vinyl roof on again like it left the factory with. Let's just say that both in price and in effort, a few decals were a lot easier.

Old 10-05-2009, 01:38 PM

The ones I get a kick out of are:
"What year is it?"
followed by
"Did you Buy it new?"
Now I admit, I could be aging a little quicker than I would like, but most of my old cars would like require me to have been born a good 15 to 20 years earlier for me to have bought the cars new. Maybe I need a new mirror, but only being 47 yrs old, I like to think that I look closer to 50 than to 65 or 70 yrs old.

Then there are the folks that don't bother with the math.
"What year is it?" ......... 1961
"How long have you had it?" 25 yrs
"Did you buy it new?" ............Well let's do the math..........
Doug

Old 10-05-2009, 03:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I wish my car was in road worthy condition enough to take the insults from the chebby magazine racers, and not strewn about my garage in pieces.

At my current pace, it might be road worthy by the time my 6 year old needs it for his senior prom.

Old 10-05-2009, 05:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66Mutt View Post
The ones I get a kick out of are:
"What year is it?"
followed by
"Did you Buy it new?"
Now I admit, I could be aging a little quicker than I would like, but most of my old cars would like require me to have been born a good 15 to 20 years earlier for me to have bought the cars new. Maybe I need a new mirror, but only being 47 yrs old, I like to think that I look closer to 50 than to 65 or 70 yrs old.

Then there are the folks that don't bother with the math.
"What year is it?" ......... 1961
"How long have you had it?" 25 yrs
"Did you buy it new?" ............Well let's do the math..........
Doug

LOL, I had a PU truck pull up next to me on my drivers side...window rolls down ,the guy leaning over GF or wife yelling out: "nice car, what year?"
I say : "69"
he goes :" oh , nice, my parents had one just like it , but it was a 65"

I : "uhu" (thinking, must have been that rare 2 yr early model)
+++++++++++++++++
two guys (one smart ,one not so...) come in to a burger joint where I`ve just sat down outside , next to the Firebird...they come out with their order sit one table away
1st guy , to his friend "nice car , is that a GTO"?
2nd guy , 'no, its a Firebird"
1st : "How do you know?"
2nd , the smart guy: "It says so right there on the fender"...

http://FirstGenFirebird.org/show/closeup.mv?CarID=221

breathe and enjoy it , life is temporary

69 Firebird convertible
71 Triumph TR6
Old 10-05-2009, 08:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks very nice Ramair. Nothing there to be ashamed off. I'd only kick it out of the garage so I could drive it..... more room on the road. I know, a poor translation but you get what I mean. LOL

Mutt, I love the "What year is it?" questions. Especially when they're lookin at the license plate frames that say 1966 on em....... front and rear. Tho with the 67 wire mesh in the grills it does confuse em a bit. LOL

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am also still amused by these people, quite a few people have mentioned my rear end. Yes its a 10 bolt, and they say oh man those are weak blah, blah. One time I heartd it too much, at a cruise night a fellow was looking at my car and muttered to his buddy" who the heck builds a car like this and puts a 10 bolt in it" So I said because it came that way!!

Old 10-05-2009, 11:10 PM
Suspended

Location: The Palomino Ranch in Tucson-where the real horsepower lives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierced mikey View Post
I have a standard reply that shuts the "Chevy arguement"down:Putting Chevies in Pontiacs is for people too ****ing stupid to make a Pontiac run.

It's also good for exposing those who have done that in the past.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:07 AM

I think your car looks great. I used to drive my Lemans almost daily. Couldn't afford to make it pretty so I just enjoyed driving it and tried to improve it when I could. As soon as I can get my electrical gremlins worked out I hope to do that again. Everything I own is a work in progress - Usually when I get into the inevitable conversation at the gas station, grocery store, etc I say " It needs some work, but it sure is fun to drive". Kind of hard for people to criticize when you are obviously having more fun then they are.

Ford4play: I took all the badges off mine too. Is a lemans w/the endura nose option. Had so many people ask what it was or if it was GTO, the last time I had it painted I just removed everything. It is fun to watch people walk around it trying to decide what it is.

Right now until the Lemans is back up the thing I drive the most is ( forgive me!) a 1973 Dodge Charger.

Old 10-06-2009, 09:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Love the pic but thanks for shrinking it - the wide picture was getting annoying.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978