Old 02-15-2016, 01:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That is one beautiful car! WOW!

1967 2+2 convertible 428 w/4 speed

1967 2+2 convertible 428 w/auto

1967 Bonneville Brougham Coupe 428 w/auto

1967 Grand Prix convertible 428 w/auto

https://www.plainfieldpontiac.com/

*BE SURE TO LIKE MY FACEBOOK PAGE* https://www.facebook.com/PlainfieldPontiacRescue/
Old 02-15-2016, 05:25 PM

Default Story time

So, I thought I would share a little story about the GP's name (Argo).

My grandparents, Myrle May and Bill Argo Williams bought a 67 Bonnie Coupe new in late 66 (see pic below). Both me and my brother learned to drive in the Bonnie at age 14 and 15 and I eventually ended up with it when our dad passed away. In app. 2004 I began a frame on complete resto on her and subsequently named her Myrtle. She has been on this site and has made the POCI show 3-4 years. My brother Rick now owns her and moved her with him to South FL last year.

Our granddad was quite a character, finished only 3 years in school, worked for Dupont as a pump mechanic for 40 years and for the most part didn't socialize with anyone. For some reason, he liked me and Rick and we would take him fishing in Myrtle (car). He would drive about 10 houses to the end of their street, get out and tell us to drive, which we did to a state lake 50 miles away. He made us promise to never tell anyone, less we all be in big trouble. He called us both "Boy," as in drive Boy and I don't think he even knew our name.

So, after I sold Myrtle to Rick, I looked for a GP convert and found this one in PA. Nearly 5 years later and still working on it, after a few to many drinks we night, we decided it only proper to name the GP after Argo.

Once it's done and all the bugs are worked out, it will be moved next door to Myrtle in FL at our new place there.

It only makes sense that they both enjoy their retirement years in sunny FL.

BTW, Myrtle made it to Daytona beach once back about 1968.

Old 02-15-2016, 05:28 PM

Default Myrtle

Pic of Myrtle
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Myrtle Picture January 2012 004.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	90.0 KB
ID:	420927   Click image for larger version

Name:	Myrtle Picture January 2012 006.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	420928  

Old 02-28-2016, 04:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice build! Can't wait to hear what your thoughts are on the suspension upgrades on it. Love the redlines!

65 Cat Ventura, 66 Cat Vert, 63 GP
Old 03-03-2016, 11:01 AM
Senior Chief

Love this back story on Myrtle. Thanks for sharing.

I rarely name cars or motorcycles, but if/when I do, it's because there is a back story and a bond there that deserves it. Naming a car, like naming a cow or horse in herd, differentiates it from the rest of the herd and adds significance to its place in your life.

Cool stuff. Keep the pictures coming. You are re-lighting a fire under my butt to get my '67 GP convert project back on the front burner. Sorry for the philosophical babble.

Cheers.

Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by incommunicado View Post
So, I thought I would share a little story about the GP's name (Argo).

My grandparents, Myrle May and Bill Argo Williams bought a 67 Bonnie Coupe new in late 66 (see pic below). Both me and my brother learned to drive in the Bonnie at age 14 and 15 and I eventually ended up with it when our dad passed away. In app. 2004 I began a frame on complete resto on her and subsequently named her Myrtle. She has been on this site and has made the POCI show 3-4 years. My brother Rick now owns her and moved her with him to South FL last year.

Our granddad was quite a character, finished only 3 years in school, worked for Dupont as a pump mechanic for 40 years and for the most part didn't socialize with anyone. For some reason, he liked me and Rick and we would take him fishing in Myrtle (car). He would drive about 10 houses to the end of their street, get out and tell us to drive, which we did to a state lake 50 miles away. He made us promise to never tell anyone, less we all be in big trouble. He called us both "Boy," as in drive Boy and I don't think he even knew our name.

So, after I sold Myrtle to Rick, I looked for a GP convert and found this one in PA. Nearly 5 years later and still working on it, after a few to many drinks we night, we decided it only proper to name the GP after Argo.

Once it's done and all the bugs are worked out, it will be moved next door to Myrtle in FL at our new place there.

It only makes sense that they both enjoy their retirement years in sunny FL.

BTW, Myrtle made it to Daytona beach once back about 1968.

1957 Chieftain 4D HT
Old 03-05-2016, 05:32 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the good story
I love a convertible darksider

John L

Old 08-01-2016, 01:50 PM

Default 67 GP 428 4 speed

Well, after 3-4 years at the body shop, "Argo" is headed home for final assembly and engine run.

Lots yet to do but I think we are finally over the hump. Still have boxes and boxes of parts to pick through and maybe this time next year it will be done.

FYI, I will be at Norwalk with a few extra parts for sale and I have a bunch more that I will not need including a rolling chassis with a good frame and a spare GP boxed convert frame.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160730_144221_resized.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	433977   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160730_144313_resized.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	433978   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160730_144258_resized.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	433979  

Old 08-01-2016, 10:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

beautiful is it an HO by chance?

Old 08-01-2016, 11:30 PM
Suspended

dont suppose you have a trunk floor for sale, or nice vent window assemblies? lol

Old 08-22-2016, 11:38 AM

not an original HO but now built to HO specs

i have a decent trunk pan in a coupe parts car. I used a 2 piece replacement pan in mine and it took quite a bit of cutting and welding to make it work.

Old 02-01-2017, 10:56 AM
Senior Chief

Updates? Fired the 428 yet?

1957 Chieftain 4D HT
Old 02-01-2017, 11:31 AM

I have not fired the motor yet as I spent most of the summer cleaning and redoing my garage. We are fortunate to spend winters in FL and I simply ran out of time. The car is home and I have begun the final assembly but still need to install all of the wiring and the complete dash assy. I am half way through converting the dash to rally gauges and sorting through all of that. I will get back on it this summer and will hopefully have it on the street by late summer.

Old 02-01-2017, 07:45 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
I have not fired the motor yet as I spent most of the summer cleaning and redoing my garage. We are fortunate to spend winters in FL and I simply ran out of time. The car is home and I have begun the final assembly but still need to install all of the wiring and the complete dash assy. I am half way through converting the dash to rally gauges and sorting through all of that. I will get back on it this summer and will hopefully have it on the street by late summer.
Understood. Thanks for the update. I will be doing much the same with my GP 'vert. I have several rally clusters, one with the complete dash harness, so hopefully my wiring will be a bit less challenging. I also have the sending units for O/P and W/T.

Safe travels back to Indiana when you decide to head north.

1957 Chieftain 4D HT
Old 02-02-2017, 12:23 PM

Thanks Jim and let me know if I can help with your build in any way. I found out the hard way that you don't do these cars for the money as many of the parts you need are hard to find and expensive. I acquired a boatload of NOS and used parts plus a coupe parts car and a GP convert frame if you need anything. I still have quite of bit of stuff left that I will not need and would let go very reasonably.

Old 02-02-2017, 06:17 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Thanks Jim and let me know if I can help with your build in any way. I found out the hard way that you don't do these cars for the money as many of the parts you need are hard to find and expensive. I acquired a boatload of NOS and used parts plus a coupe parts car and a GP convert frame if you need anything. I still have quite of bit of stuff left that I will not need and would let go very reasonably.
Will do! I'll send you a PM.

And I certainly understand about the process being a labor of love, rather than an investment strategy. I've had my convertible since 1983. It is the only car I have held on to through all of life's twists and turns. It has waited patiently, and now it's time to get it done.

1957 Chieftain 4D HT
Old 02-02-2017, 09:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wink Nominated...

I added some options to my 69 GTO that were correct for 69.

Changing color will affect value but as Steve said, its your car, do what makes you happy.[/QUOTE]

for the understatement of the year! As for the GP...sounds like you are building the ultimate factory custom!

"Gas is STILL your cheapest thrill!"

Your opinion of me is none of my business.
Old 02-03-2017, 08:55 AM

As for the color change, the car was originally red, and I really can't stand a red car, for me it's "if it ain't black, take it back."

It was hard enough to find a 428/ 4 speed with air and I doubt there is a black one out there, so I had to decide whether to change the color or not.

For me it was a no-brainer, other than I debated for a while between black and plum mist as I really like that color to. In the end, my bride brought me back to earth when she said, "all you have ever talked about is a triple black car!" I guess she listens to me after all?

Old 02-03-2017, 10:55 AM
Senior Chief

LOL - my wife is the reason I still have my GP convertible. I was tempted to give up and sell it numerous times, and she stopped me every time. She's a keeper, and so is the GP.

I plan on a color change too. Mine is/was white with blue top/black interior. I am looking for the right shade of dark silver. Something a bit richer than the '67 "silverglaze". Top and interior will be black. Wheels will be aftermarket, perhaps 17" cast RIIs if I decide to adapt the hubs to 4.75" b.c.

1957 Chieftain 4D HT
Old 06-25-2017, 09:40 AM

I am finally making some progress on "Argo" and have been able to work on the car the past couple of weeks. It is like a big jigsaw puzzle, trying to sort out parts I haven't seen in 5 years. I will post some pictures later this week.

A couple of questions someone here might be able to answer:

1. The body shop assembled the front end, including the bumper. They did not install the forward wiring harness to the lights and turn signals. Is there any way to get the bulb/ assy into the back of the turn signal housing without taking something else apart? Am I missing something as it doesn't appear that the bulb and socket will clear the opening between the bumper and the turn signal housing ? Any secrets on how to best do this?

2. Also related, does anyone make a replacement harness that runs from the turn signal to the forward harness? This is the part that has the turn signal socket on one end and a 2 connector plug on the other, app. 14 inches in length. Or does any one have used ones?

Old 06-26-2017, 08:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

With the valence off you should be able to pass all the front harness correctly.

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)