Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 02-24-2020, 01:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Organizing a car show fundraiser

I’ve been tasked with organizing a fundraising event to benefit a kids camp here in Kentucky. (Kentucky State Police Trooper Island) The great part is I get to pick what kind of event, which was easy enough - a car show!

Where it gets tricky is the fundraising part. I’ve debated an entry/registration fee, maybe $10, but don’t want to rely solely on that to generate funds. Furthermore, I feel that I’ll likely experience a higher car-count with NO entry fee.

If we do no entry fee, we’d be relying mostly on donations collected the day of the show. I’m working on attracting some “exhibition” type participants, such as high-end race cars, to attend, and am also working on obtaining sponsors; Depending on how that goes, we may give out prizes.

One consideration to supplement the event was a “split the pot” 50/50 raffle.

Another idea was some type of photo shoot, maybe with a uniformed Trooper and/or a Police Cruiser with a participants car?

My goal for this event is to have 250+ cars attend (assuming good weather) and to raise $5,000 for the kids camp. A long term hope is that this can become an annual event.

Anyone have any ideas or suggestions that might help me make this event a success?

"Turbos make no noise and leave the line like Baby Diarrhea!" - GTOGeorge
Old 02-24-2020, 02:52 AM
Senior Chief

Get flyers made, don't have to be anything fancy. You will need flyers to solicit sponsors.
First of all sponsors, you need sponsors from local businesses. Wether it be items for raffle or checks for trophy's and other costs.
2nd charge admission. At 10 bucks a car it's cheap. You'll be surprised how many people would donate to a charity.
3rd is the raffle people love raffles and a 50/50

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

V.P. Pioneer Valley GTO Association
www.pvgto.com
67 Lemans 455 best et. 12.023@ 111 mph LVD 9/2008
68 GTO H.O. in progress?
Old 02-25-2020, 03:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If you advertise it widely...that's key... I don't think you'd have much problem getting $20 per entry. Make it clear that it's for charity. I've paid that and more. When it's for a worthy cause, it takes the sting out of the cost.

Old 02-25-2020, 07:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Get out to thw first couple big car shows of the year and get flyers in every car. $10-20 a car is reasonable and if people are aware its all for charity then even $2-3 per spectator will likely not be an issue. Raffles, prizes and good food will also bring money in

1967 GTO, 432 (428+.030), 4-bolt mains, factory Nodular crank, scat rods, icon dished pistons, Lunati HR 243/251@.050, .618/.622 lift, Edelbrock 72cc round port heads, 10.5:1, offy 2-4 intake, Edelbrock 650cfm carbs, Super T10 trans (2.64 first), BOP 10 bolt w/ Eaton posi and 3.36 gears
Old 02-25-2020, 10:17 AM

All good ideas so far. If you could get food definitely and possibly a live band you would be full of attendance. And everybody wants to play so a dyno and a burnout contest would definitely do it. I'll tell everybody up here in Florence. When and where were you thinking?

Old 02-25-2020, 10:20 AM

Possibly adding a swap meet would be awesome too

Old 02-25-2020, 11:01 AM
Suspended

I don't know of any car show where the proceeds don't go to some kind of charity. So basing the entrance fee on that is utterly foolish and a high price will keep people away. Set a $15.00 max. If people want to give more, put out a donation bucket. I know this subject oh too well as I have ran shows in the past including an all Pontiac show where I took it from 30-40 cars a year to well over 100 my first year running it.

There are a ton of thing to consider just to determine your direction......

Do you want a judged show?

Do you want participant judging?

Do you not want any judging?

Personally, I never liked participant judging because that always comes down to who has the most friends to vote on their buddy's car. Not cool! One of the largest and most successful show here had no classes, no voting and awards, they gave every entrant a very large "trophy-like" plaque as well as all the hot dogs, burgers and beer they could handle. That was the first car show in the northeast (perhaps the country) to draw 1000 - 1500 cars every year.

If you're going to have classes, have plenty of them. Best Ford, Best Chevy, yada yada, never works. And groupings like 60's to 80's muscle cars is absolutely rediculous. Same token, you can't put a Viper with a Trans Am.

You'll need classes like.....

60's cars "general"

60's cars "muscle"

Modified

Race

Special Interest

Sports Car

Truck

These are obviously just a few.

Now, if you have trophies, find a local company that will "recycle" them for you. That's right, I said RECYCLE. Whatever trophies are left over (and there's always left overs), that shop will revamp them for next year's show ultimately saving a ton of money.

A swap meet..... I've had them, don't expect a lot. Most I've ever had was about 8.

Goody bags.... I always think they're stupid but believe it or not people look forward to the garbage in those bags even if they throw 99% of it out.

Dash Plaques...... If you go with plaques for everyone like I previously mentioned you won't be needing dash plaques. But if you don't you will be needing dash plaques. People like that little memento. Daytona Trophy is a good place to deal with.

This is all I have time for at the moment. If I can post more, I will.

Old 02-25-2020, 11:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've always been a fan of shows at dragstrips. I also like the portable dynos. Poker runs or pre determined drives to tour shops or take in scenery in the area is also interesting to many.

We have so many shows year round to choose from around here they have to get pretty creative to get a big draw at any one show. I quit wanting to sit around in lawn chairs 20 years ago. Much rather prefer to do something with the car. Whether that be a poker run, drag racing, or a dyno session. I'm all for donating to a good cause but I won't sit there all day and do nothing either. I'd much rather take a nice drive through the mountains.

Old 02-25-2020, 01:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A lot of good ideas.
One I have not seen or I missed is have something to do for the kids whether a inflatable slide/house deal or simple games like matchbox races. You would not believe how many people will just come spectate or show if they can bring the kids and they can be occupied. Call one of these diecast companies like Johnny Lightning or Mattel and see if they will donate some cars to the cause and give them away. Years back I called and they sent me 100 cars for a charity event.
Silent auctions for things like car wash kits, detailing items etc. will also help generate some funds. Auto parts stores will usually donate a few items.

66 GTO 389 3x2, 4 speed, 4.33 gear, Montero Red 33K original Miles
67 GTO 2dr Post, 428, Tri Power, 3.55 Gears
80 Trans Am Black SE Y84 W72 WS6
Old 02-25-2020, 01:36 PM
Suspended

Its pretty difficult to make a car show an "event". Very labor intensive and very time consuming. It takes a lot of people to make an "event" when usually only the same 3 to 6 people of any given organization do all the work. Bounce houses? Eats up money that would go to the charity and is a huge liability.

Old 02-25-2020, 07:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Food trucks, maybe a pinewood derby type competion (team up with the scouts?)

Old 02-26-2020, 06:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Awesome ideas coming in! Attached is a copy of the flyer I have put together for now... hope to improve on it later.

I think I’m probably going to lean more towards a “cruise in” vs a “car show”, not sure I want to get into the prizes/awards and dealing with judging, as more times than not seems someone gets bent out of shape at the results. Going to also try to avoid entry/registration fees to hopefully encourage a large turnout.

We’re working on putting some raffles together, and I like the idea of maybe a dash plaque momento item.

So far I’ve done a good job of keeping my costs at a minimum, and have lined out a venue, a food provider (who also offered to kick in their profits from the day to the cause), and a sound/pa crew - all at no cost (Another reason I think I can avoid registration fees). Working on getting some sponsors, and depending on how that goes I considered possibly getting T-shirts made to sell at the event.

Also going to see if I can get a local radio station to broadcast live from the event.

I’ll check in on many of these suggestions, some may not be possible (venue is a school parking lot, so burnout competition probably won’t work) but I’ll certainly consider many of your suggestions!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DE9D6178-1470-4A0F-95A0-3A27FAA75F4E.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	533039  

"Turbos make no noise and leave the line like Baby Diarrhea!" - GTOGeorge
Old 02-26-2020, 08:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Cruise in my opinion is a better idea than a show. As I mentioned I got tired of shows a long time ago although I still do a few a year. I'm more of a cruise in guy and probably do 30-40+ of those every year. People can come and go as they please, park where they please, and there is no competition for anything. Much more relaxed atmosphere to hang with like minded people.

Best of luck