Old 02-27-2020, 07:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default HEI with resistance wire

so it appears along with my power wire to my hei distributor, there is also a resistance wire with it. do I need to remove the resistance wire?

the dui distributor needs 14.5 volts for full capacity use, the car is a 73 firebird I'm seeing HEI didn't begin on these cars till 1974, thus a resistance wire? for not burning up points with key on?

Old 02-27-2020, 07:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You need to bypass the resistance wire; the HEI needs full system voltage. You can connect a 12 or 14 GA wire in parallel from the wire terminal at the bulkhead connector to the HEI or replace the resistance wire with a 12 or 14 ga wire.

George

Old 02-27-2020, 07:59 PM
Senior Chief

Some similar info and options here:

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=837131

Old 02-27-2020, 08:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On my 72 Lemans, there was a terminal on fuse box for ignition. I tapped into that with a separate wire, because it has to have full voltage at start and run for HEI to function properly. I left my original resistance wire in case I, or someone else down the ownership road, wants to convert back to points.

Old 02-28-2020, 07:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

thanks for the assist. appears an old topic but I was not aware.

I get the simplicity of points thing and all, but I don't see the big deal of having a spare module in the glove box either? simple enough to change on the side of the road. but then also I know folks with HEI and have had no failures also. just sayin'.

Old 02-28-2020, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

you can get the correct wire with correct ends on both ends from M&H. is a pink wire as factory . call them they will understand what you are doing

http://www.wiringharness.com/