Old 08-10-2014, 10:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Judging 2.0

I've been following the thread 'Judging' started by fellow member 'dld'.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=758679

Has the associations that we take to get our cars judged (GTOAA & POCI) AND ourselves gotten completely anal? Just like the Corvette guys are we now discussing the correct plating on the nuts that hold down our carburetors and date coded hose clamps.

Don't get me wrong, as much as anyone, I want and like a correctly restored car if you are going for a concours restoration. Way back in 1987 back in the infancy of points judging in GTOAA they used a 500 point system for restored cars. I scored 482 points with a red with black vinyl top 65. Other than the 400 point system, the actual judging manual has remained virtually the same. That car would do good to score 400 points today, due to the 'knowledge' of the judges.

When I judged back in the late 80's and early 90's we realized that these cars were built at several different plants, some using different vendors for the same part. We also realized that sometimes a plant would run out of a small part and it would be substituted with a part from a different vendor. We didn't ding a guy for having a bolt with a 'p' marking instead of the more accepted 'l'.

Until the time the organization has a detailed manual that tells us exactly what is correct on each and every part, then I'll continue to accept both the 2 and 3 bellow clutch rod gasket as correct!

Let the flaming begin.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 08-11-2014, 06:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H. View Post
I've been following the thread 'Judging' started by fellow member 'dld'.

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=758679

Has the associations that we take to get our cars judged (GTOAA & POCI) AND ourselves gotten completely anal? Just like the Corvette guys are we now discussing the correct plating on the nuts that hold down our carburetors and date coded hose clamps.
Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H.

When I judged back in the late 80's and early 90's we realized that these cars were built at several different plants, some using different vendors for the same part. We also realized that sometimes a plant would run out of a small part and it would be substituted with a part from a different vendor. We didn't ding a guy for having a bolt with a 'p' marking instead of the more accepted 'l'.

Until the time the organization has a detailed manual that tells us exactly what is correct on each and every part, then I'll continue to accept both the 2 and 3 bellow clutch rod gasket as correct!
And the above comments are exactly why.

We used to grab "silver" bolts from the other line and run them on second shift because they wouldn't cross thread (because the "black" bolts would). The Corvette guys would have a cow to find out some of the stuff we used to do.

The goal was to build and ship as much product as quickly as possible, not to build authentic pieces of art for future historians.

And - because of that - even having a detailed assembly manual will not be the end all of the discussion.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 08-11-2014, 07:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

BRAVO to both above!

You should be required to drive them more than 10 miles in order to be judged too - some cars never even get fired!

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978