Old 04-03-2018, 01:24 PM

Default '65 Convertible top wind noise??

My 65 convertible has what SOUNDS like a wind-noise "leak" coming inside above the windshield over the passenger side sun visor.
I've tried spraying water to find any leaks but no luck.
I then put duct tape on the outside of the car to cover different sections of the convertible top front edge, the windshield moldings, down both side of windshield, all around the passenger door, everywhere and the air still sounds like it's leaking in some where in that one area. I don't think it's wind blowing over the windshield and across the convertible top. It's not making any wind noises anyplace else in the car, just that one area. You can't feel a draft, you just hear that air "whistling" noise. The car is solid and has absolutely no squeaks, rattles or any other noise when driving.
Anyone had this problem and was able to fix it? Thanks for any help. Todd

Old 04-03-2018, 03:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My own '67 GTO ragtop has much less wind noise with the top down. These cars aren't aerodynamic and tend to have a lot of wind noise, even if all the glass fits right and the seals are sealing. You might try latching the top with some typing paper between the header and the windshield frame, and see if you can pull the paper out. If you can, you may need to tighten up the header latches (they are adjustable).

Old 04-03-2018, 06:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My money is on these cars leaked air and water when new. I don't think you'll ever get a perfect seal or eliminate wind noise.

1964 Pontiac GTO, Tri-Power, 4 Speed, Grenadier Red/Black Interior
1965 Chrysler 300 Convertible, 383/727TF, Factory Air, Spanish Red/Red Interior/White Top
Old 04-03-2018, 06:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via ICQ to Hammertime Mike

Wind noise is part of the ambiance.

Old 04-03-2018, 06:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default X 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexus31 View Post
My money is on these cars leaked air and water when new. I don't think you'll ever get a perfect seal or eliminate wind noise.
Different top.

The Cordova tops utilized the aluminum trim at the bottom of the vinyl and water would seep under that trim and pass through the fastener holes and into the trunk area from day one.

Poor design.

Chris.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	7C0574C1-724C-4737-A7D4-B686348DCFA5.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	479871  

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 04-03-2018, 06:56 PM
Suspended

It is a convertible. Wind noise is standard equipment. It does get worse if there is a repop front header installed.

Old 04-03-2018, 06:58 PM

This noise definitely sounds like a draft/air leak and it's somewhere right up by the passenger side sun visor. All adjustments have been made, seals checked and rechecked tight and the noise still exists. It starts at about 30mph and then gets louder as speed increases. Any guys with convertibles have the same problem?

Old 04-10-2018, 08:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There is a bead along the front edge of the top....a rolled trim piece, part of the top. If it gets tucked under and seals against the header, you get more noise. That bead needs to be pulled forward, so it lays flat on the windshield frame with the top latched. Sometimes they want to curl up and get between the windshield frame and top header, and seal unevenly. Happens on my '67. Much quieter if I take the time to pull the trim bead out and forward as I latch the top...sometimes takes a helper pulling on the pass side while I pull on the driver's side.

Old 04-11-2018, 12:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have you looked in the Shop Manual?

Most of it has been covered here already but here is what the '64 Shop Manual advises for "Wind whistle or air leak between top material and side roof rail stay pads."

"Adjust top material hold-down cables as required."

I've noted this as an alternate area where a whistle can develop.

Yours may be covered by:

"Wind whistle or waterleak along front roof rail."

If caused by the top not locking tight enough to windshield header:

"Adjust lock hook clockwise,"

If caused by misaligned front roof rail front weatherstrip:

"Retack front weatherstrip to front roof rail."

If caused by the front roof rail not conforming to the windshield header:

"Contour of front roof rail may be changed slightly by reforming rail."

Unless your lock hooks require significant effort to latch, I would give that a try. Obviously taking care not to make them so tight as to cause breakage.

What I recall from when the cars were much newer, I would have to pull down on the front middle of the top frame and then get the hook engaged, and with a fair bit of effort using the palm of my and, lock the handle.

A convertible was noisy especially on the highway (drumming made conversation very difficult) and that is a big reason why they fell out of favor. But I don't ever recall dealing with whistling and until somebody cut my top, I didn't have leaks either. But I have always loved convertibles so I probably would not have been very critical of problems.