Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 04-05-2017, 05:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
I may have missed it, but the only Firebird engines which came with the D-port RA manifolds were the 1970 RAIII cars.

Just an FYI.
True, but he is replacing headers and the R/A flow better than the stock manifolds, however the '70 455HO used non R/A manifolds as well..
this was what I was replying to:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERULD View Post
What style manifolds came on the D-port 455 - was it a log type manifold or the RamAir style?

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 04-17-2017, 08:30 PM
Suspended

so how is this one going?

Old 04-17-2017, 09:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Still waiting on the manifolds to arrive. They shipped last Thursday from Central Connecticut Coatings; should arrive tomorrow. Got it scheduled for install this Friday - local friend has nice shop behind his home with drive-on lift.

BJ

Old 04-25-2017, 11:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Everything finally came in and has been installed! Had an issue with the brackets for the muffler hangers, but Eric Gardner stepped up and got it handled ASAP. Fitment was perfect with the exception of the look of the chrome exhaust tips. I remember them being more tucked up to the body and turned inward slightly towards the center. Here are some before and after pictures with some different views of the tips. Also, a couple links to the before and after sound clips at idle. Give me some input on the tips - best way to adjust them or just leave them alone? Thanks for the input guys.

Here is the tip hanger and bracket - any ideas on best way to adjust it or tweak it to pull the tips up and in towards the center?

And here is a link to the BEFORE sound bite: https://youtu.be/BRu-1KxwNDg

And here is a link to the AFTER sound bite: https://youtu.be/4Rb5v6gOf2o

Thanks,
BJ

Old 04-26-2017, 12:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Same system here, I used the original frame bolt on brackets with the original rubbers. Im not sure why yours heads down that much. I am betting youll need to rotate the tail pipes "Up" some where it goes into the muffler. There are some close ups of mine on this vid, which I made for Gardner. Its been referenced, but not on their site as I recall. Good luck, and looks good so far!
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=Kx3hN1kTvZo

Old 04-26-2017, 07:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds fantastic. The tips should be an easy fix.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 04-26-2017, 07:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

hard to tell from the pics but if you lower the muffler just a hair will that allow you more room to rotate the exhaust tips up? When I had the cross flow muffler on mine, it seemed to sit lower closer to the sway bar.

Old 04-26-2017, 12:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by OVERULD View Post
Everything finally came in and has been installed! Had an issue with the brackets for the muffler hangers, but Eric Gardner stepped up and got it handled ASAP. Fitment was perfect with the exception of the look of the chrome exhaust tips. I remember them being more tucked up to the body and turned inward slightly towards the center. Here are some before and after pictures with some different views of the tips. Also, a couple links to the before and after sound clips at idle. Give me some input on the tips - best way to adjust them or just leave them alone? Thanks for the input guys.

And here is a link to the AFTER sound bite: https://youtu.be/4Rb5v6gOf2o

Thanks,
BJ
Sounds much deeper and even, I love it ! Love the color too

Old 04-26-2017, 01:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is a good video I found that shows an original 455 SD T/A with original exhaust. This is the way the tips should look I believe.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt9Zkdr39wo

And here is that same car, I believe, on the strip. Tips look just like I remember them on my Formula.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulyDOeKwh_s

BJ

Old 05-08-2017, 06:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Still trying to get the new chrome tips to look proper. I took this video explaining my dilemma. https://youtu.be/Se92FrbtQgY

You can see the way the tips currently hang by looking at the photos above. Would appreciate any input.

Thanks,
BJ

Old 05-08-2017, 09:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great Video explanation!
While Installing one on a local guys car, we found that the muffler was a bit high and bent the end tabs that go through the rubbers up top. At same time we bent the "tabs" on the exhaust pipe "up" . This allowed a slight rotation of the tail pipe and a slight drop of the muffler. I will try to get some pics of mine.. Good luck!

Old 05-08-2017, 10:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Bruce - after staring at it for a while on Saturday, I came to the conclusion that some metal will have to be bent to make them move where they need to go. Would love to see how your tabs and pipes are lined up if you get a chance to get some pics.

Thanks,
BJ

Old 05-09-2017, 12:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Happy to Report I found the problem. I noticed your muffler was near vertical, which is cannot be as its much to close to the Differential Cover, although I did not see that part in the video. I did screen capture your top install and posted it below with some other pics of mine. I believe your top "clamp/tab " is on backwards on both sides. Take a look at the pics and see what you think. I assume you have seen my video of the rear of my car. Yours can look just like that, which is exactly stock, tips tilt in some and up close to the tail panel slight upward clearance curves. Also I installed New GM replacement exhaust systems on these cars in the Late 70's at the GM dealership I worked at. I had some very picky Firebird customers, this is why I chose a Gardner system for myself. Good luck, hope this helps, "There are ONLY Solutions "
PS: You may have to move the "intermediate " pipes slightly ahead to allow the muffler to rock forward and get the tail pipes dialed in.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Gar1.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	454161   Click image for larger version

Name:	BJ1.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	454162   Click image for larger version

Name:	FB1.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	170.3 KB
ID:	454163   Click image for larger version

Name:	FB2.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	454164   Click image for larger version

Name:	FB5.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	454165  

Last edited by Formulabruce; 05-09-2017 at 12:45 AM.
Old 05-09-2017, 07:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think FB nailed it - the muffler hangers are installed backwards. The picture below is the Gardner system on my 1973. You also need to rotate your tips in to approximately line up with the indents in the rear valance.

Old 05-09-2017, 09:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
PS: You may have to move the "intermediate " pipes slightly ahead to allow the muffler to rock forward and get the tail pipes dialed in.
Thanks Bruce; excellent post! When you refer to the intermediate pipes, are you referring to the over-the-axle pipes that feed the muffler?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwheelbob View Post
I think FB nailed it - the muffler hangers are installed backwards. The picture below is the Gardner system on my 1973. You also need to rotate your tips in to approximately line up with the indents in the rear valance.
Bob, yep, that's the correct tip look I'm going for. Thanks.

BJ

Old 05-09-2017, 12:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yup, Over axle pipes may need to slide ahead a bit to keep the exhaust pipe from touching the intermediate pipes. This will allow a slight "rake" forward to your muffler, which in turn allows the tail pipe some more upward movement. Good luck !

Old 05-16-2017, 11:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm happy to report that the exhaust tips are now perfect! Bruce - you nailed it. We turned the hanger tabs around and were able to get the correct geometry to give us the right look. I didn't have time for decent photos today but I'll get some posted up in a day or two. We also used a couple of muffler stands with some wood blocks to help us support the tips in the correct position after we loosened everything up and reversed the tabs. Once we tightened everything up, it all stayed in-place.

Thanks PY!

BJ

Old 05-17-2017, 12:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Great News! Keep some wax on those tips if you drive it much and you'll be very happy with it. Mine is like 6 years old , haven't touched it. Nothing like a nice tight stock dual exhaust look !

Old 05-19-2017, 09:35 AM
Exhaust Guru

What a beautiful setup! I like how it all fits tightly and tucks correctly and all the hangers look stock. i know the sound will be awesome too.
Thanks for all the detailed pictures and the other information provided to fix it so everything is right.
Tom

Old 05-19-2017, 10:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Off topic but...what's the story on the miniature truck?....or is that a very large engine hoist?