Old 02-01-2020, 09:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 72 GTO special paint code

Looking on the cars on line website I found this https://www.cars-on-line.com/gen3-ca.../posting/79122

Old 02-01-2020, 09:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like Carolina Blue.

Old 02-01-2020, 09:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I don't think it was originally a 455 car because of the rocker molding call out?

Old 02-02-2020, 01:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by post toastie View Post
I don't think it was originally a 455 car because of the rocker molding call out?
common carlot puppymill builder deal, just had to install an emblem in the rocker trim holes for the prev 350 emblems. prob has a 455 Burick aircleaner decal to boot.

want to confirm as non factory 455 car, the VIN in '72 spells it out. for '70 & 71 models, & no engine callout on the VIN, just ck the frame ID code on the LH rear frame leg.

Old 02-02-2020, 03:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"puppy mill car lot"

what's wrong with this pic?

Old 02-02-2020, 06:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

its not in my driveway??? lol gto emblem on the wrong side??? what else???

Old 02-03-2020, 01:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Paint Code on PHS would be 6 if it was originally Carolina Blue.

Hard to say what this particular car may or may not actually be.
Has a lot of fudge-smudge fingerprints about it.

The color looks good on that body.
Have seen a number of Lemans' and GT's that color, but this is the first GTO i have seen with it.

Was there a Y-Code 455 for GTO in 72 ?
Or only the X-Code 455-HO

Quote:
''Completely Restored all original in excellent condition from A to Z!''
A-Z in which language i wonder ?

Its about an hour away from me if anyone needs a hired set of eyeballs put on it.

Old 04-24-2020, 08:25 PM

Hey guys... this is my car! I bought it from the guy I NC in July of 2015 and it’s still up on for sale boards?? Do these things never expire? Makes you wonder how many others on the boards are not really for sale...(no, she’s not for sale now)

This is a PHS documented GTO. Previous owner had the truck lid repainted and they put the frigging decal on the wrong side. Dumbass. It was originally a 400 but does have a ‘74 YY code 455 in it now. This is the original color. I’ve pulled the carpet out (thanks to the heater core failing) and this same Carolina Blue is on the entire floor pan and was under the deteriorated tar paper sound deadening material. I can assure you the restored A to Z was a pile of bs... But it’s a fun car to drove and gets looks everywhere I go.

What do you want to know about it?

I’m also in search of a usable wiring diagram. There’s some crazy stuff going on under the hood and is like to sort it out!

Thanks for any help,
Chris

Originally 400, now a 455, 4:10 12 bolt posi. 2004R overdrive installed in Nov 2015. Viking Performance coilovers finished up in April 2016.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Blue 72 View Post
Hey guys... this is my car!

What do you want to know about it?
Congrats on the ownership of the Carolina Blue GTO.
Pretty wild that ad was still up after all that time.

What is the paint code on the trim tag -
and what paint code does the PHS Invoice list for it ?

Oh yeh, what dealership and city/state did it sell new from ?

Thanks !

Old 04-24-2020, 09:40 PM

Hi Baron,

The trim tag has 2 dashes, no codes. The PHS paint code is ‘1’. I saw a cover sheet that came with the PHS package that said it was a special order paint color and they didn’t know what color it was! Unfortunately I don’t have that cover sheet. Never made it in the docs from the previous owner.

The original dealership was Plaza Pontiac in Burlington, NC

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Originally 400, now a 455, 4:10 12 bolt posi. 2004R overdrive installed in Nov 2015. Viking Performance coilovers finished up in April 2016.
Old 04-24-2020, 11:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It really does look good in that color

Old 04-24-2020, 11:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

what are those numbers beside the 12B date code? my 71 orbit orange gto has the paint formula stamped into the cowl tag like the 71 orbit judge.

Old 04-26-2020, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muscle_collector View Post
what are those numbers beside the 12B date code? my 71 orbit orange gto has the paint formula stamped into the cowl tag like the 71 orbit judge.

I have no idea what the stamped codes are after the build date. I’ve never found any decoding info about them. If those are pint codes I’d be very interested in knowing more about them!

Anyone have a ‘72 engine wiring diagram?

Old 04-26-2020, 10:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

for years I had no idea what the numbers were until someone posted on the 71 orbit orange judge. they said those numbers were actually the paint formula/code for orbit orange. so I looked at mine and they were the same. sorry about the bad picture but you can see them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71 gto 455ho orbit orange cowl tag mine.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	538480  

Old 04-26-2020, 10:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Gary, the numbers on the Pontiac plant lower trim tag of your orbit orange '71 HO 3spd GTO are different & are def special paint related.
The lower line imprinted on the cowl tags on '71 & 72 Lakewood & Fremont built cars both have two 6 digit strings of numbers. Will ck tomorrow & see if that was happening on '71 & 72 Framingham cowl tags as well.

Old 04-27-2020, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
Gary, the numbers on the Pontiac plant lower trim tag of your orbit orange '71 HO 3spd GTO are different & are def special paint related.
The lower line imprinted on the cowl tags on '71 & 72 Lakewood & Fremont built cars both have two 6 digit strings of numbers. Will ck tomorrow & see if that was happening on '71 & 72 Framingham cowl tags as well.

My trim tag has the 2 sets of 6 digits on the lower line. Mine is from The Atlanta plant. Are you confirming those numbers are related to the special paint option?

Old 04-28-2020, 10:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Light Blue 72 View Post
My trim tag has the 2 sets of 6 digits on the lower line. Mine is from The Atlanta plant. Are you confirming those numbers are related to the special paint option?
No , not in your case.
OPH was confirming those groups of numbers are common to those cars from those Plants in those years.
Regardless of pedigree or paint.

You might find a Buildsheet in your car.
It will usually list out the color name and formula for special paint.
A lot have been found easily - taped to the backside of driver door panel.
Just depends how much the car has been messed with.

The two Carolina Blue 72's i had Invoices on both were built in Atlanta and sold new in NC.
But they were Lemans GT's and used paint code #6 on Invoice.
Where yours has paint code 1.
Can only find this one right now, was owned by PY member Jeff Harper in Raleigh NC.

It has been proposed the GT's in Carolina Blue were special promo for NC dealers.
There were at least 2 or 3 in my town , in my youth.
One of my good friends mother had one.
Was a cream puff virgin until he wrecked it one morning in high school on a wet road showing off and spun out, sliding into a tree.
Those Carolina Blue GT's were the only GT's i can recall ever seeing on the roads or in driveways around here.
All the same color with darker blue GT striping.

The difference in paint codes used for the color might have been that 6 was a fleet/batch code for those special promo GT's.
I am guessing on that, seeing how yours is not Code 6 like the GT's.
Its the only instance i have ran across the paint code 6 being used.
Code 1 and 2 are the most commonly used for special paints.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	72 Lemans GT Spcl Paint Harper 2.jpg
Views:	784
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	538602  

Old 05-05-2020, 03:10 PM

Thanks for the info Baron. I’ve heard the Caroline Blue color being a regional special item for the NC dealerships. Glad to hear that same story a second time for validation.

I have not come across my build sheet. I’ve had the rear bench out and the driver door panel off at various times. I have not seen above the gas tank yet, but so far, no joy.

Old 05-06-2020, 11:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Going by the Invoice Paint Codes (1 and 6)
and the Invoice Prices ($113 and $72)
for the Same Color

Lends more credibility that the Code 6 was a batch/fleet deal ... as in multiple units.

That dealer probably had one of the Carolina Blue GT's on his lot, and a GTO customer liked it and requested it - for your car.
It does look really good on your GTO.

I had a 70 SS Chevelle that had been color changed from Gold to Carolina Blue.
It didn't look as good on that car, but it had a Black Vinyl Top.
There was a cream puff 72 SS Chevelle special ordered Carolina Blue in my town and it looked really good, no vinyl top on it.

Hope you get lucky and find a B.sheet somewhere one day.

Share us some more pics sometime if you can.

Old 05-06-2020, 04:26 PM

I agree with your line of thinking that the buyer had seen the color and wanted it on their (now my) GTO. I do really like this color on my car.