Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrt View Post
I guess the heater hoses were orange.

http://ultimategto.com/cgi-bin/showc...lk07/64beige02
I trust you were being sarcastic.

Heater hoses were black.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 06-17-2012, 08:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
I trust you were being sarcastic.

Heater hoses were black.

K
Goes to show how much I know about these cars! Thanks for correcting me Keith.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

2167 means 21 Series Tempest Custom, 67 Convertible Body Style.

A49, means your car got the Custom Front Seat Belts. The custom seat belts included the winder type retractors in '64.

B70 means Instrument Panel Pad (dash pad).

As expected, your trim code is 209, the Dark Aqua and Medium Aqua trim we've been talking about.

Your Body No. is 189, according to my interpretation means yours was the 189th Tempest Custom convertible order initiated at the Fremont Plant for '64.

Pretty rare, my own Lemans (with GTO option) convertible was Body No. 450 and built in late Nov. '63 at Fremont. So there were a LOT more Lemans convertibles being built than Tempest Custom convertibles.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
2167 means 21 Series Tempest Custom, 67 Convertible Body Style.

A49, means your car got the Custom Front Seat Belts. The custom seat belts included the winder type retractors in '64.

B70 means Instrument Panel Pad (dash pad).

As expected, your trim code is 209, the Dark Aqua and Medium Aqua trim we've been talking about.

Your Body No. is 189, according to my interpretation means yours was the 189th Tempest Custom convertible order initiated at the Fremont Plant for '64.

Pretty rare, my own Lemans (with GTO option) convertible was Body No. 450 and built in late Nov. '63 at Fremont. So there were a LOT more Lemans convertibles being built than Tempest Custom convertibles.
Those seat retractors arn't reproduced are they? I don't recall seeing them.

Old 06-17-2012, 10:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't know if they are repro'd but I know I've seen a ton of them for sale on ebay and elsewhere.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

catalina 64, welcome to the PY Forums.

You'll want to go to the 62-66 Big Pontiac Tech Forum and start a thread in there.

Be sure to state if you have 8 lugs or standard wheels.

Either way, new drums are available. I'm sure the big car guys know where to get 'em and who has the best prices.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I guess the heater hoses were orange.

http://ultimategto.com/cgi-bin/showc...lk07/64beige02

here is the body tag

2C = 3rd week in february?
BF = Fremont, CA
64-2167 = 64 Pontiac ???
Is the color of the top reflected in the Body Tag?

Old 06-19-2012, 11:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, for the '64 Fremont Data Plates, the Paint code tells you the top color.

All Paint Codes were coded as Lower Body Color/Upper Body Color. Alpha characters identified paint colors.

PP would mean Aquamarine Lower Body Color/Aquamarine Upper Body Color.

If the Two Tone Paint option was ordered, you would see 2 different alpha characters, perhaps PC for Aquamarine Lower Body Color/Cameo Ivory Upper Body Color.

For the Cordova (vinyl) top cars, instead of a letter, the Upper Color would be represented by a number.

Same thing for the Convertibles, a number identifies the top color.

At Fremont, they also added the Wheel Color to the Paint code.

For your 2167 Tempest Custom Convertible, P1A is decoded as Aquamarine Lower Body Color/Ivory (white) Convertible Top/Black Wheels.

Aquamarine was one of the available '64 wheel colors, so Black Wheels tells me your car was originally equipped with one of the Wheel Disc options otherwise it would have had Aquamarine Wheels with the standard hubcaps.

Black Wheels were always used when the Wheel Disc options were ordered since the wheel did not show with the full wheel covers.

The Cordova Top was only offered in Ivory & Black. Convertible tops were offered in 6 colors. A Black top would have been coded as 2.

This '64 decode only applies to Fremont, in case somebody with a Kansas City car is wondering.

Old 06-20-2012, 02:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Please explain the two timing marks on the balancer. I would assume one is 0 and the other I read is 6 deg BTDC.

I have read in the archives that 6 is what is speced but is that what others are running?

Old 06-22-2012, 12:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
Yes, for the '64 Fremont Data Plates, the Paint code tells you the top color.

All Paint Codes were coded as Lower Body Color/Upper Body Color. Alpha characters identified paint colors.

PP would mean Aquamarine Lower Body Color/Aquamarine Upper Body Color.

If the Two Tone Paint option was ordered, you would see 2 different alpha characters, perhaps PC for Aquamarine Lower Body Color/Cameo Ivory Upper Body Color.

For the Cordova (vinyl) top cars, instead of a letter, the Upper Color would be represented by a number.

Same thing for the Convertibles, a number identifies the top color.

At Fremont, they also added the Wheel Color to the Paint code.

For your 2167 Tempest Custom Convertible, P1A is decoded as Aquamarine Lower Body Color/Ivory (white) Convertible Top/Black Wheels.

Aquamarine was one of the available '64 wheel colors, so Black Wheels tells me your car was originally equipped with one of the Wheel Disc options otherwise it would have had Aquamarine Wheels with the standard hubcaps.

Black Wheels were always used when the Wheel Disc options were ordered since the wheel did not show with the full wheel covers.

The Cordova Top was only offered in Ivory & Black. Convertible tops were offered in 6 colors. A Black top would have been coded as 2.

This '64 decode only applies to Fremont, in case somebody with a Kansas City car is wondering.
I'm not sure i understand what you mean by "Wheel Disc option".

I don't know if my wheels are correct to the car. The front appears to have the aqua marina color to them and the rears don't.

Old 06-22-2012, 03:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The 'Wheel Disc Option' would have a hubcap that is large, fills the whole rim.
(covering any paint basically on the wheel)

The standard hubcap is smaller only covering the lugnuts basically.
(can see most of the wheel, therefore painted car color basically)

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 06-23-2012, 08:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So what holds the bottom part of the back seat in place? I see some U shaped brackets on the floor but they don't do much to hold the seat down.

Old 10-30-2012, 09:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

New Question

What is the story with the tail lights. My 64 tempest has the tail lights in the 1/4 exstension. I notice that the 64 GTOs I have seen look like the 1/4 exstensions are solid and the lights are in the tail panel. Was this a difference between the tempest and Le Mans or simply a GTO option?

Old 06-22-2013, 10:47 AM
Boost Engineer

I was told that 65 GTO rear panel assemblies had a different number of ribs for GTO (vs the other stuff). So you are saying that the actual structure was different Bob?

Agree, explain.

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-22-2013, 10:55 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
New Question

What is the story with the tail lights. My 64 tempest has the tail lights in the 1/4 exstension. I notice that the 64 GTOs I have seen look like the 1/4 exstensions are solid and the lights are in the tail panel. Was this a difference between the tempest and Le Mans or simply a GTO option?
Lemans and GTO are the same. Tempests are all by themselves.

Old 06-22-2013, 10:57 AM

Quote:
New Question

LeMans and GTO had the same rear panel to accommodate the tail lights, only the Tempest had the solid rear panel.

Old 06-22-2013, 11:35 AM
Senior Chief

Split back bench seats.

64 and 65 4 door bench seats are different than a 2 bench seat as noted by others by the split back to allow it to fold on 2 doors for rear passenger entry.

However for 66 there was what I call a "split back Bench seat". Its was different from the standard bench seat in that it had a arm rest in the middle that folded down. This seat is the same for 2 doors and 4 doors in appearance. However on the 4 door models a bracket and fastener was added to prevent it from folding. So a 4 door one can be converted to a 2 door one by removing the bolt and bracket.