Old 03-02-2010, 02:43 PM
Senior Chief

Default oldest GTO

John, Jim

thank you for the information, I wish I had more documentation but I am the last of many owners for this GTO, most of whom treated the car very badly judging from the work I've had to do to restore it. The one fact I can be sure of is the manual quick-ratio steering is a PITA with modern tires.

Ron
year 4 of 2-year restoration
64 GTO convert

Old 03-02-2010, 03:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jim, not quite true. You might want to check out what I posted here:

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=626266

There were still two separate options in '65. The main difference is that the 15/16" dia. bar was switched from the Code 612 in '64 to the Code 621 in '65. The 20:1 Quick Ratio Manual Steering Box was included with Code 612 both years.

The '64 Tempest Inspector's Guide outlines the Springs & Shocks for each Tempest combination. GTO with Y96 (Code 612) shows the same Shocks as GTO with F40 (Code 621).

Since there were no HD Springs for the GTO, ordering the 621 with the 612 would add nothing.

For the non-GTO, it is less certain. The '64 Inspector's Guide does not indicate any Springs associated with the Y96 (612) option. That suggests that the Springs were not affected by this option. If you wanted HD Springs for a non-GTO, you might have had to also order the F40 (621). However, even for a non-GTO, the HD Shocks (same HD Shocks as for a GTO) were included with both the Y96 and the F40. So unless there was a Price adjustment made, you were effectively charged twice for the HD Shocks if you did order both options Y96 & F40 for a non-GTO.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I do believe this "glitch" was corrected in '65 by making the Code 612 the 20:1 Quick Ratio Manual Steering Box only. Notably, the UPC for Code 612 was changed to N38 to reflect that it was no longer a "handling" kit option, while Code 621 was changed to Y96 since the addition of the thicker stabilizer bar transformed it from a HD suspension option (F40) to the handling option. I also believe that the '65 Code 612 no longer got you the HD Shocks as it did in '64 (GTOs and non-GTOs alike).

So in '65, ordering both options was meaningful.

You might want to check the Manifest record for VIN 824P204779. You will see that it is coded for BOTH 612 & 621.

However, the ORIGINAL Window Sticker only listed Code 612 at $16.14. Code 621 was omitted.

I am convinced that this is evidence that when Code 612 was ordered in '64, at least with the GTO option, the Manifest would be coded for 621 to pick up the HD Shocks, but 621 was NOT listed on the Window Sticker since the $3.82 price for the HD Shocks was already built into the Code 612 $16.14 price. I wouldn't be surprised if the same was true for a '64 non-GTO also, order Code 612 and consequently the factory added Code 621 to the Manifest (to pick up the HD Springs & Shocks in the build) but omitted it from the Window Sticker since the Code 612 price was figured with these items already included.

I also have the copy of the original Fremont Window Sticker that I mentioned for another '64 GTO. It too only lists the Y96/612 code. I do not have the Fremont Shipping Manifest to match to it, but would not be surprised if it also shows F40 and Y96 on it, even while the F40 was "no charge". If so, the F40 may have been coded with the asterisk in front of it to indicate it is included at "no additional cost" (and consequently omitted from the Window Sticker) as was Fremont's practice.

In '65, even on a GTO, because of the revised option content for 612 & 621, no doubt both Options could be shown separately on the Window Sticker. But not on a '64 GTO.

Old 03-02-2010, 04:16 PM

We have the original templates that printed the vehicle window stickers back in the day, as do we have the corresponding Pontiac Pricing Schedules. All the options and pricing from these schedules are loaded into the system, just like they were when Pontiac Division did them. Unfortunately, the price schedules don't list the component content of each option, just the main description and price information.

When we print a window sticker the options from the Manifest or Billing History are loaded into the system the same way that Pontiac did it. The window sticker that the system generates should look the same as the original. However, the window stickers would have several minor changes made to them over the course of the model year. Some years had as many as four upgrades.

We have only one template for each model year, so it is possible that minor differences may show, if compared to a true original, especially on the West Coast plants. We're not here to debate the content of some of these option packages. However, based on the information that is on the Manifest or Billing History for a given vehicle, the end product is how the original window should have looked.

Jim Mattison
PHS - Automotive Services

Old 03-02-2010, 08:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jim, my main interest is the '64 GTO.

In a nutshell, I do not think it is correct to show 612 & 621 on the same Sticker for a '64 GTO. 621 should only be listed if 612 is not ordered. Only 612 should be listed when both are indicated on the Manifest.