Old 05-03-2010, 09:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just curious as to where those GTOAA 'GOLD' awards are from a National show or maybe a GTOAA regional meet where the judging may be a little more lax. With what is obvious on that car, there has got to be a ton of stuff that a good judge would find wrong at a National meet. Just wondering. Can anyone blow that picture up enough to tell?

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 05-03-2010, 09:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Oh, and not that it makes any difference, but I'd bet a dime against a doughnut that the trim tag is a reproduction.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:46 PM
Suspended

how do you tell?

Old 05-03-2010, 11:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

BIGPOP ...........it Must be happy hour! The boys are cranked up

Old 05-04-2010, 09:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontirag View Post

Zazarine and Roberts book states that only PS cars had the notched fan

Based on my car, they would be incorrect.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 05-04-2010, 12:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dld View Post
Can't be sure if someone didn't take the good stuff off after car got the GOLD
Good point

Old 05-04-2010, 02:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I guess I got called a FLY for being attracted to the car at first. Jeez,I never have been called that before!

Jerry,explain the trim tag statement,I missed that in the pics.maybe I wasn't clear on one thing,in regard to the GOLD Award for Concours,I asked if it were GTOAA and he said,without looking that he believed at least one was a GTOAA Meet Gold Concours.
Larry B.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:16 PM
Suspended

I thinlgit has more to do with the parasites that are attracted to the hobby. and among those there are those who harm it. cant speake for any body who thinks they are a fly because they are attracted to that car. My refrence is to the industry.

Mr Seymore, with utmost respect I'm not sure your car could be considered the norm. parts books, service manuals also suggest that the notched fans are for PS cars.

Old 05-04-2010, 06:22 PM

All P/S cars got the notched fan. I've seen more than one OE cars that had it also with HD cooling.

MIke

moderator is a glorified word for an unappreciated prick..................

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the
former." --Albert Einstein

"There is no such thing as a good tax."

"We contend that for a nation to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle."

- Winston Churchill
Old 05-04-2010, 08:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontirag View Post
Mr Seymore, with utmost respect I'm not sure your car could be considered the norm. parts books, service manuals also suggest that the notched fans are for PS cars.
Thank you; I know a lot of powertrain related things (heads, intake, headers) have been changed on my car but I'm pretty sure not the fan and fan clutch.

I think Mr Nixon nailed it: tripower, manual trans and rear axle ratio drives the heavy duty cooling system, which would include the 19.5" (notched) fan.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 05-04-2010, 10:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Keith, I noticed the fan on your car also. My 65 is a documented tripower, non ps car and has the non notched fan. My understanding is that all tri power cars came through with HD cooling, at least the ones I've owned in the past have. I've never noticed a notched fan on a non ps tripower car before.

My take on your car would be a familiar one. It was simply a deal where a non notched fan was out of stock or not handy when your car was being built. I don't know when the fans went on the engines, but maybe they thought that engine was going into a ps car? Just a guess. If I was going to build a concours restored car, a non ps car would have a non notched fan. JMHO

Old 05-04-2010, 11:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The car is extremely nice. I'm not that hardcore into these cars so I don't know what is correct or not, but it is obviously over-restored. I wonder if this car would beat out a car that simply rolled off the showroom floor and was stored until the day it was entered to compete against this one. I bet the scenario would be kinda like "Charlie Chaplin once entered a Charlie Chaplin lookalike contest and placed third".

Old 05-05-2010, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Thank you; I know a lot of powertrain related things (heads, intake, headers) have been changed on my car but I'm pretty sure not the fan and fan clutch.

I think Mr Nixon nailed it: tripower, manual trans and rear axle ratio drives the heavy duty cooling system, which would include the 19.5" (notched) fan.

K
Keith,

Is the spacer on the fan factory also. The subject 65 gto is nice, but not perfect and is over priced in todays market. Just my 2 cents THANKS!

Old 05-05-2010, 08:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H. View Post
Keith, I noticed the fan on your car also. My 65 is a documented tripower, non ps car and has the non notched fan. My understanding is that all tri power cars came through with HD cooling, at least the ones I've owned in the past have. I've never noticed a notched fan on a non ps tripower car before.
Jerry - what's the axle ratio on that car? In addition to tripower, I think HD cooling was also driven by 3.90 and above rear axle ratios. Also - is that non-notched fan 19.5" in diameter? Just looking for clues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry H. View Post
My take on your car would be a familiar one. It was simply a deal where a non notched fan was out of stock or not handy when your car was being built. I don't know when the fans went on the engines, but maybe they thought that engine was going into a ps car? Just a guess. If I was going to build a concours restored car, a non ps car would have a non notched fan. JMHO
Very likely a stock issue, since my car is an early early build. Fans went on during the motor line, but the option content of the specific vehicle would be well established at that point (and documented on the build sheet/build manifest) so not likely to be a mistake regarding power steering.

K

Old 05-05-2010, 08:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MH 1964 View Post
Keith,

Is the spacer on the fan factory also.
AFAIK, Mark. Not something Dad and I discussed specifically.

Quote:
Originally Posted by codyyy View Post
I wonder if this car would beat out a car that simply rolled off the showroom floor and was stored until the day it was entered to compete against this one. I bet the scenario would be kinda like "Charlie Chaplin once entered a Charlie Chaplin lookalike contest and placed third".
LOL!

K

Old 05-05-2010, 10:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Keith, my 65 3x2 4 speed has a non-notched 19-1/2" diamter fan.Of course.no P/S.I have always thought that the notched fans were to clear the P/S pulley hub.But,like Jerry says,it may have been available readily or done by mistake.I can't find your Broadcast Sheet I had saved.Is there a P/N for the fan? I do not know fan P/Ns,but if someone has a BS for their non-nothched 19-1/2" maybe it was put on your car for a specific reason? Although,there would be less surface area theoretically to "move the air" for cooling,I suppose.
Do you have a photo of the clutch,I am having a hard time finding a fan clutch that was original equipment on 3x2 HD cars.I have two I think are correct,same as the A/C clutch,but can't confirm. Larry B.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpop View Post
Keith, my 65 3x2 4 speed has a non-notched 19-1/2" diamter fan.Of course.no P/S.I have always thought that the notched fans were to clear the P/S pulley hub.But,like Jerry says,it may have been available readily or done by mistake.I can't find your Broadcast Sheet I had saved.Is there a P/N for the fan? I do not know fan P/Ns,but if someone has a BS for their non-nothched 19-1/2" maybe it was put on your car for a specific reason? Although,there would be less surface area theoretically to "move the air" for cooling,I suppose.
Do you have a photo of the clutch,I am having a hard time finding a fan clutch that was original equipment on 3x2 HD cars.I have two I think are correct,same as the A/C clutch,but can't confirm. Larry B.
LOL - yes, I have all that from when you asked me the last time!

I'll resend in a PM (later, though - gotta run right now).

K

Old 05-05-2010, 12:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OOOOOPPS,the fan cluth I do not recall at all. Where am I???

On the clutch,in all seriousness,I need you to retell me if the face had ribs going an inch? from the circumference,like the ribs on the back.,or is it basically flat with only one raised area circumferencially? CRS at work! thanks Larry B.

Old 05-05-2010, 02:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Jerry - what's the axle ratio on that car? In addition to tripower, I think HD cooling was also driven by 3.90 and above rear axle ratios. Also - is that non-notched fan 19.5" in diameter? Just looking for clues.
3.55 I'm not sure about the diameter of the fan, when I get a chance I'll measure it. But again, my guess would be that they were simply out of stock of the non notched fan when your car was built. But, then I've been wrong before!

Old 05-06-2010, 08:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The standard fan on a gto was the bent tip alum.clutch fan as stated on gto standard equipment list . this fan was 18.5".

The notched fan was 19.5". I'm not sure about h/d radiator option if it came with it. This would be the TT 4 row rad with upper hose on right side. Even on 4 barrel cars. The fan was probably used here too.

The tri power cars all had h/d TT rad. with 4 row. and was used here also.

The rear ratio had to do with the metallic brakes.

The 19.5 notched fan was on all a/c cars. This rad was taller and had the shroud.

This is the info. that i have put together from my research.