Old 05-10-2010, 09:54 PM
Boost Engineer

Belt configuration looks different than I have normally seen. Independent belts for
Alt vs P/S being normal. Is this correct or a belt swap that worked?

Tom Vaught

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 05-10-2010, 10:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default This is correct for 65 AC with PS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
Belt configuration looks different than I have normally seen. Independent belts for
Alt vs P/S being normal. Is this correct or a belt swap that worked?

Tom Vaught
Two nice illustrations of 65 belt info on pages 440 and 441 in Resto Guide. Also in a 65 Motor Trend magazine which shows one belt for alternator and power steering pump.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

60sstuff, good job .

This is a good example of a/c, belt, the fan ,and radiator. Correct!

Note this car one owner Unrestored tri carb with 3.90 gear

The gear ratio is key in this example . This made you buy the FAN........ SEE PICS

Code 534
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8456.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	80.1 KB
ID:	206099   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8852.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	206100  

Old 05-11-2010, 04:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

dld,you are correct,the TT is for HD independent of the car set up.I was talking about 3x2,and never thought of the 4 b. HD that was to be had in 65.Thanks for the reminder.I appreciate the "refresher". I may have misunderstood your post about the radiator inlet on top being on the right side,but I know the 3x2 radiators had it on the left,passenger side. I do have only one good eye as some know here!! LOL

Chris,great pictures.keep them coming. Larry B.

Old 05-11-2010, 04:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Chris,I noticed the alternator pully and fan are gold cad,if my eyes don't deceive me.

I thought those items were silver cad plated from the factory? Anyone know the answer? I have seen later GTOs with the gold. thanks Larry B..

Old 05-11-2010, 04:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks! thats nice..... were all still learning

Old 05-11-2010, 07:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Numerous wrong under hood

Larry - There are many items under this guys 65 hood that are not correct as it's just his commute car and that alternator probably came from the local auto house. I just wanted the pics for research on the (Caution decal placement, Large A/C metal fan shroud, Notched fan, Belt installation with P/S, Hood pad, Etc.) THX, Chris.

Old 05-13-2010, 02:33 PM

Default Notched Fan

Here's some pictures of my 4,300 mile 389 Tri-Power, M21, 3.90:1 GTO's fan and radiator. I think that Keith is correct. Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9800.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	206295   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9801.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	206296  

Old 05-13-2010, 03:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think the spacer was added to Keith's car.
Look at his picture posted , of his car. Also look at pic that I posted , 1969z280 matches your car.

Old 05-14-2010, 10:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dld View Post
I think the spacer was added to Keith's car.
Look at his picture posted , of his car. Also look at pic that I posted , 1969z280 matches your car.
Hmm. Interesting -

I have this picture of the M/T Crossram installed from 1968, but can't really tell if there is a spacer on it or not:

Based on the relationship between the notch and the finger guard, I'd say....no spacer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1969z280 View Post
Here's some pictures of my 4,300 mile 389 Tri-Power, M21, 3.90:1 GTO's fan and radiator.
Up to 4300 miles now? Be careful, Ed, or you're gonna pass me...

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 05-14-2010 at 10:41 AM.
Old 05-14-2010, 12:22 PM

Keith:

4,265.9 miles, I guess that I shouldn't round up. I took it out with the original tires on it for a magazine shoot. I don't know which was scarier, driving on the original tires or waiting for some kid in a pick-up to come flying over the hill at 6:30 AM on his way to work. Ed

Old 05-14-2010, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

LOL - I'm at 4833.2 I think;

I hear what you're saying about other drivers on the road....

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 05-15-2010, 12:02 AM
Suspended

Mr Seymore

I dont know the answer to your quandry anout the spacer but if you compare the lower rear corner of your fan to the pully in your picture and look at other cars from aprox same angle you may likely determine if (that) the spacer is installed.

Curious about the MT cross ram, they only fit the 64 and earlier heads unless you cut off the water cross over and install one ...cut off from a 65/66 tri power intake...and installed it. Yikes! I could never get mine to run worth a chit. Iether too rich for the street or to lean for the track, as if I ever got it that far.

Old 05-15-2010, 12:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This crossram was modified to fit '65 and later heads ('67, in this case).

It never did run as good as the tripower, either; I had always thought because the tripower was with ramair and the crossram without (the ramair setup being worth about 2 tenths) - but - found out later those were Chevy 409 carbs so that may have had something to do with it as well.

K

Old 09-02-2010, 08:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Can a 65 be to nice ?

Just registered and was checking some previous threads on 65 GTOs and came across this thread. This is a car I recently purchased. I see there are some mixed feelings and opinions about this car. I do agree with some of the things that were pointed out and they are easily fixed. I would love to have this car 100% perfect and would encourage any and all critiquing. It is a special car in my opinion , mainly because of the factory original black/parchment color combo as well as a true tripower 4spd #s matching vehicle. This site seems to have a lot knowledgeable people that are very willing to offer any help and that's what will help me get this car perfect. There were some questions that were being asked in this thread and I would be more than happy to answer them. Thank you

Old 09-02-2010, 08:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Can a 65 be to nice ?

Just registered and was checking some previous threads on 65 GTOs and came across this thread. This is a car I recently purchased. I see there are some mixed feelings and opinions about this car. I do agree with some of the things that were pointed out and they are easily fixed. I would love to have this car 100% perfect and would encourage any and all critiquing. It is a special car in my opinion , mainly because of the factory original black/parchment color combo as well as a true tripower 4spd #s matching vehicle. This site seems to have a lot knowledgeable people that are very willing to offer any help and that's what will help me get this car perfect. There were some questions that were being asked in this thread and I would be more than happy to answer them. Thank you
From the thread back in April.
ey Paul.I saw this one yesterday and called the guy in Utah.It was restored by Thorton's,and as one can see,an original 3x2 4 speed but,I feel the Starlight Black,Parchment is the big selling point.I love black,w/parchment and so do many in the hobby.Of course we can't find out how many,but ,in 24 years in the hobby,I haven't seen many original A-coded cars.
It is over restored,to be sure.I noticed that there were some mistakes on originality.Two oil caps -one per valve cover,carbs way over dichromated,I asked him if they were painted with Eastwood's Carb Renew(it looks like it to me)but he insisted not.hum... oil filter not painted engine color.and that's a cursory glance.He says and confirms "Gold Awards" in Concours,but,that is sloppy research and needless point deductions in IMHO. But....it is purdy!! Larry B..

Old 09-02-2010, 10:07 PM
Senior Chief

Welcome 6t5gto. I agree with Larry that's a beautiful car! You came to the right place. Good luck and congrats on such a nice car. Saltman

Old 09-02-2010, 10:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6t5gto View Post
From the thread back in April.
ey Paul.I saw this one yesterday and called the guy in Utah.It was restored by Thorton's,and as one can see,an original 3x2 4 speed but,I feel the Starlight Black,Parchment is the big selling point.I love black,w/parchment and so do many in the hobby.Of course we can't find out how many,but ,in 24 years in the hobby,I haven't seen many original A-coded cars.
It is over restored,to be sure.I noticed that there were some mistakes on originality.Two oil caps -one per valve cover,carbs way over dichromated,I asked him if they were painted with Eastwood's Carb Renew(it looks like it to me)but he insisted not.hum... oil filter not painted engine color.and that's a cursory glance.He says and confirms "Gold Awards" in Concours,but,that is sloppy research and needless point deductions in IMHO. But....it is purdy!! Larry B..

Old 09-03-2010, 08:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Like I said,it sure is purdy. Unfortunately,the eBay a is long gone. I would like to see somemore pics,could you post some when you get a chance? There are alot of knowledgable guys here and most are willing to help with any questions which may arise.

That is except for.........Keith Seymore lol Larry B.

Old 09-03-2010, 09:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Welcome 6t5gto. I look forward to hearing more and seeing some more pics of the car.

Larry - don't make me stop this thread and come over there....

(lol)

K