Old 02-09-2011, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Chad, did you ever get in touch with Steve Lucas regarding his extensive interview with a guy who made these factory wood wheels. Larry B.

Old 02-09-2011, 12:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yes, I tried but the number was disconnected.

Old 02-10-2011, 11:19 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Step 6 and 7 Apply finish, install stainless band

Here are some pictures of the prototype next to my original. This is after I apply the final finish and install the band.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2029.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	105.7 KB
ID:	234180   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2050.jpg
Views:	383
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	234181   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2053.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	234182  

Old 02-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Magnificent!!

Old 02-10-2011, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks great!

1962 Grand Prix - Cameo Ivory|389 4sp|One-Owner Survivor
1964 GTO HT - Silvermist Grey|389 3x2s 4spd|A/C|Hurst Wheels|Frame-off|SOLD
1965 GTO Post - Mayfair Maize|421 3x2s TKO600|Pro-Touring|
1966 GTO HT - Barrier Blue|389 3x2s 4spd|Red Fenderliners
2005 GTO Coupe - Yellow Jacket|Magnacharged LS2 6sp|543hp/561tq|SOLD
2006 GTO Coupe - Spice Red|LS2 6sp|20k orig miles
Old 02-10-2011, 12:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Do you have to go through some kind of a certification process to assure a buyer that the wheel is safe to drive a vehicle using it? Seems to me I read an article or thread somewhere it had to be done, don't remember what government agency would oversee that, probably 100's of them.

Old 02-10-2011, 12:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB VIDAN View Post
Do you have to go through some kind of a certification process to assure a buyer that the wheel is safe to drive a vehicle using it? Seems to me I read an article or thread somewhere it had to be done, don't remember what government agency would oversee that, probably 100's of them.
Good question. Not that I know of. But I can make this statement about the construction of my wheel. It is stronger than the original. I use stainless steel rivets which have about double the sheer and tensile strength as the original steel rivets. My hub is solid 4130 chromoly steel, unlike the two pieces of mild steel that were originally spot welded together. And originally the internal rod/ring was flash welded to the spokes. Mine is a full penetrating weld into both base metals. So all critical areas are better than the original ever was.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree with Bob it truley is magnificent. As far as Certification, you can always ask if Grant Wheels are Certified, and find out the process from there. Larry B..

p.s. I'll send Steve's cell phone #, I just found it yesterday.

Old 02-10-2011, 02:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Destructive Testing

I while back someone asked me through my website if the plastic would ever crack. I told him time will tell. So that got me to thinking.... The prototype, which I just took the comparison pictures of this morning, has not been treated very nicely lately. I leave it outside overnight and bring it in during the day. It's been getting down to around zero here and the other night I put it in the oven for an hour @ 175. after being outside at 5 deg. (to simulate a hot summer day with your windows rolled up) There has been no degradation thus far. And I will keep abusing it to see what happens.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I am confident in the quality of this wheel, and should probably put my name on the waiting list.
I'm fairly sure that it has to be SEMA approved via testing etc. You can well imagine a cheaply made chinese wheel twisting or buckling under duress, or stripping the splines leaving the driver with an out of control car.
If it was me, I wouldn't worry about certification, because that would just add an inordinate amount of time to the release of the end product.
In comparison to a Grant wheel, I would say this is a very limited market.
Maybe you can sell it as an Art object with strong note indicating that it is for display purposes only, and let the end user decide how they want to use it.
It is really a pity that we live in a country that is so lawsuit happy, but you have to protect yourself from the unforseen.

Old 02-10-2011, 05:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
Maybe you can sell it as an Art object with strong note indicating that it is for display purposes only, and let the end user decide how they want to use it.

That occurred to me as well....

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 02-10-2011, 05:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andre View Post
I am confident in the quality of this wheel, and should probably put my name on the waiting list.
I'm fairly sure that it has to be SEMA approved via testing etc. You can well imagine a cheaply made chinese wheel twisting or buckling under duress, or stripping the splines leaving the driver with an out of control car.
If it was me, I wouldn't worry about certification, because that would just add an inordinate amount of time to the release of the end product.
In comparison to a Grant wheel, I would say this is a very limited market.
It is really a pity that we live in a country that is so lawsuit happy, but you have to protect yourself from the unforseen.
Right, you don't see Chinese wheels touting DOT or whoever's approval. Yet hundreds or thousands are sold each year for many makes and models. The Grant hubs look like they are made out of potmetal with pretty dull splines. But what really locks the wheel to the shaft is the taper. Thats why having a chromoly hub is important. It wont compress or deform like a potmetal piece could.

Last edited by 64woodwheel; 02-10-2011 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 06:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64woodwheel View Post
Right, you don't see Chinese wheels touting DOT or whoever's approval. Yet hundreds or thousands are sold each year for many makes and models. The Grant hubs look like they are made out of potmetal with pretty dull splines. But what really locks the wheel to the shaft is the taper. Thats why having a chromoly hub is important. It wont compress or deform like a potmetal piece could.
I agree with you 100% on this. As Americans we cannot sue a chinese or any other foreign manufacturer, especially the chinese, since their companies are all government owned. Unfortunately that doesn't appy to an American made product. I am not professing to know all there is to know about the liability in something like this, but maybe another member can chime in. I don't know where the grant wheels are made, as I never owned one, but they are cheaply made. (most likely overseas)
I know that on the taiwan '65-6 wood wheels, there was production run where the plastic would not survive cold weather. It shrunk and cracked in a very short time. At the time the Parts Place was the only retailer (not manufacturer), and they made good on them with a liberal return policy.

When Dennis Kirban orignally reproduced the rally 1 wheel, he had to go through quite a bit with SEMA, but wheel integrity is a lot more important than steering wheel integrity. He posts on here from time to time, and I'm sure he could offer some insight.

I also know that there was some problems with wheel integrity when Wheel Vintiques released the rally II wheel. Again, that is a wheel and not a steering wheel, so we might be talking apples vs oranges.
Its a damn shame that we live in a sue happy society, but it is what it is. There may be nothing to worry about, but even if there is, I am sure your attorney can help you set up a corporation and shield your personal assets.
Once an insurance company gets involved, they will do their best to minize their responsibility by casting the net and spreading the blame around.

Old 02-11-2011, 11:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOB VIDAN View Post
I was speaking with a guy today who makes custom wheels and other specialty parts. He has made quite a few custom steering wheels. He said there are no certification/approval issues in offering a new steering wheel - other than on a car that has air bags.

Old 02-12-2011, 12:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Taylor View Post
I was speaking with a guy today who makes custom wheels and other specialty parts. He has made quite a few custom steering wheels. He said there are no certification/approval issues in offering a new steering wheel - other than on a car that has air bags.
That's good to know. I was thinking about the GM Restorations Parts Program. Is that an influential factor when you (forum in general) are buying repro parts?

Old 02-12-2011, 12:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I think that GM Restoration Parts Program really only comes in to play to give the buyer some confidence that the part that is being sold is "like kind and quality" of the original part. I don't think that is necessary with your '64 wood wheel

Old 02-12-2011, 12:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks Andre,

I guess the best advertising is word of mouth and not a "stamp of approval" from some entity, be it GM or Uncle Sam...

Last edited by 64woodwheel; 02-12-2011 at 01:03 AM.
Old 02-12-2011, 03:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64woodwheel View Post
That's good to know. I was thinking about the GM Restorations Parts Program. Is that an influential factor when you (forum in general) are buying repro parts?
No.

Old 02-14-2011, 07:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default HUB

Next step will be to rivet the hub and collar to the spokes. Speaking of the hub, has anyone tried the horn contact hardware available from our host? What was your experience with "RPI581 - 64 HORN INSTALLATION KIT"?

Old 03-26-2011, 11:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Whatever happened to this project and the emblem?