Old 07-08-2012, 07:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just saw the fire wall loom clips on E bay, said NOS. About 3/4 of the metal had the rubber protector on it (dipped I'm sure) and the rest was BARE metal. So when GM put the dress up coat of black on the fire wall the bare got covered with black, on the top, at least.. AND NOW, I can't find them!!!!
I was speaking of the spring clamps in my last post, except the pinch clamp on the vac hose bracket. bill

Old 07-08-2012, 09:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

the rubber coating was later. 64 65 era. no paint on these

Old 07-09-2012, 11:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Jake,

I guess I have been away for awhile! Mentally and physically.Sorry, got the correct names wrong, which is a common practice for me, always has been. At least I didn't call them widgits.
The fan clutch I am talking about, is Keith Seymore's on his great low mileage 65.
I will look for the thread(s) that show it. I thought the early 64-65 and possibly later clutches with the flat-face were for A/C equipped cars only. The one you kindly show above in your response. I have an unused one, like you show, but, someone put a
material like, putty around the shaft in the back?? Maybe for storage, but, it over the years has really hardened!!
Any indication that the U stands for a manufacturer? Like I stated, I thoought it was a 'C' that had an unusual design! thanks Larry B.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:17 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpop View Post
Jake,

Any indication that the U stands for a manufacturer? Like I stated, I thoought it was a 'C' that had an unusual design! thanks Larry B.

I would presume that the "U" does stand for a specific manufacture (either by name or code). Several years ago I attempted to obtain the names of the manufacturers of the various hardware (bolts, clips, etc.) that we find on our cars, but failed miserably.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default JAKE64

GM cap
The old man I'm referring to is ME!!!
It would be for a NON driver car. bill
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RAD CAP.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	290552  

Old 07-09-2012, 01:18 PM
Senior Chief

Should the alternator utilize a 2nd strap?
One that bolts to the threaded stud on the thermostat housing?
Our '66 has both, unsure regarding 64's ?

Old 07-09-2012, 01:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Leave it to the Corvette guys to have good info on the fan clutches.

The manufacturer of the style of fan clutch Pontiac used in '64 was Eaton.

The U ink stamp is most likely some sort of Manifest code or in some other way, identified the specific Eaton fan clutch that matched a particular Pontiac application. I expect the clutch used with AC had a different code stamp.

I assume you guys are also finding a date code stamp on the Eaton fans as indicated in this article.

http://www.cc-ncrs-kc.org/newsletter...april_news.pdf

Chevy clutches were ink stamped CJ or CK depending on small block or big block Corvette application in the same way the clutches must have been marked U and whatever else for the alternate applications for Pontiacs.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

John V, thanks for the thread, I was talking about the ''U''within the elongated diamond on the clamps, sorry for the confusion. I still wonder why Keith's clutch a mid year, has the fins that are on the face, and are about 3/4"+(guess) from the outer edges inward? Not an Eaton? Now I am confused lol Larry B.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonsie View Post
Should the alternator utilize a 2nd strap?
One that bolts to the threaded stud on the thermostat housing?
Our '66 has both, unsure regarding 64's ?
To the best of my knowledge:

The '64 Tempest V8 did NOT use a rear strap with Manual Steering & 37A alt.

With all other applications, there was supposed to be a rear strap.

There were 2 different ones used, one with the 4 bbl, the other with the Tripower.

If you have PS and/or A/C, you would have a rear strap.

AFAIK, the PS application continued to use a rear strap even after the mid year change to the pulley & v-belt set-up. At mid year, they stopped using the 2 groove pulley 37A alt with the twin belts on the PS applications and began to use the same single groove pulley 37A alt as used on the Manual Steer cars with separate belts for the alt & PS pump.

That might have enabled them to stop using the rear strap for this application, perhaps somebody else knows for sure.

A/C used the 55A alt.

My '64 is an early build with PS and the 2 groove 37A alt so what I know generally applies to it.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigpop View Post
John V, thanks for the thread, I was talking about the ''U''within the elongated diamond on the clamps, sorry for the confusion. I still wonder why Keith's clutch a mid year, has the fins that are on the face, and are about 3/4"+(guess) from the outer edges inward? Not an Eaton? Now I am confused lol Larry B.
Larry, that's what I get for jumping in at the middle!

So what has been found for the ink stamp on a Pontiac fan clutch?

I went back and looked at the pix of Keith's.

It definitely looks like an Eaton from the front.

Keith's is NOT a mid year. His '65 was built VERY early, in Sept.

The fan clutch is ink dated I12E, according to the Corvette decode would be Sept 12, '64 which is just about when his car was built, a tight but believable fit.

Not that it should matter, because the clutch p/ns stayed the same at least thru '66 according to the '66 MPC, so I assume the appearance probably stayed the same as well.

I don't know what to make of the fins both front and as curved on the rear of Keith's.

His is the Heavy Duty, 19.5" fan so has the 9775579 clutch, it could very well be different appearing than the more common 9775578 clutch used with the 18" fan.

If anybody with an A/C car has an original clutch, should be able to compare.

Old 07-09-2012, 02:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's a later model Chevelle Eaton fan clutch with the same fin style as on Keith's.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EARLY-70S-FA...sories&vxp=mtr

I think that pretty well confirms that Eaton did make clutches with this style fin arrangement.

I wonder if the '64 Pontiac 9775579 was marked PF same as Keith's.

And more importantly for me, wonder what the ink stamp was on the '64 9775578.

Looks to me that Eaton prefixed all the Chevy clutches with a "C" and probably prefixed all the Pontiac clutches with a "P".

Learning something new!

Last edited by John V.; 07-09-2012 at 02:51 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 07-09-2012, 04:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Does anybody know the dia. of the clutch and the no. of fins on the edge for the '64 fan clutch used with the 18" dia. fan? Length of the shaft (from some reference or any other dimensional info that I can compare to?

Is the ink code PE?

Old 07-10-2012, 02:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

John V. Please, no more exclamation points on your answers to me, I am still getting into the swing of things here after my Sabbatical. lol

Thanks as always for your input. I don't remember EATON being ink stamped on Pontiac clutches, but, certainly on Chevy ones.( early cars) I have a friends chutch here ,that he bought in '79 NOS, that needed to be restored cosmetically. He mistakenly painted it Black!! That was fun, getting the paint off, w/o disturbing the gold plating on the face. It took hours, and, stupid me, I did it gratis!!!
This clutch may be of value, to answer your above questions, in that Jim's car is an original 64 GTO HT 3x2 4 speed,and I would think he wanted a 64 clutch,I don't know what fan/ diameter was is in his car.or the ratio, but, I can call him if you want to pursue this further. Here are the measurments. 1) 7" diameter across the face
2)70 fins 3) fins are STRAIGHT and trapizoidal( slanting more pronounced in the front pointing to the center) 4) base of the fin 5/8": top 1/2" height approx. 3/8"
5) shaft, 1"+/-1/32 approx. (it is recessed into the body, but this is close.)6) Mounting Flange 1/4"+/- 1/64 thick 7)Flange 3-1/8" diameter.
There is what appears as a P/N stamped into the flange mounting side-22007635.
Maybe this will help you a bit. Larry B.

Old 07-10-2012, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

LIL BRO, By that part#, was there anything else, like 140. Mine has that also; figured it was the temp it engaged>>>>> bill
That is about the same part # I have. Figured the 2200 number was to big to be '64.

Old 07-10-2012, 05:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Big Bro, opposite the p/n, I think it reads 003 85 ?

By the way, on the raised area around the coil, DAYTON OH
USA
opposite side, same locale DELCO PROD
DIV GM
Hope this helps! LB

Old 07-11-2012, 02:53 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
Does anybody know the dia. of the clutch and the no. of fins on the edge for the '64 fan clutch used with the 18" dia. fan? Length of the shaft (from some reference or any other dimensional info that I can compare to?

Is the ink code PE?
John:

The Eaton fan clutch I show in post number 80 is identical to the fan clutch you show on the Chevy thread and the fan clutch on my April, Baltimore, 18 in. steel blade fan equipped car. All nuances appearing on the Chevy clutch are identical to the Baltimore car. The diameter of the fan clutch is 6 in. The shaft length, as measured from the flange to the body is exactly 1.5 in. Per my notes, the only thing I could find on the Baltimore clutch fan was a 4 and a diamond shape. While I found no ink stampings on the face of the clutch, I did find a blue ink dab the size of a nickel on the fins, as replicated in the third picture.
The clutch fan on the April, Fremont car is identical to the Baltimore car and the one shown in Post 80. However, I can't find my notes on this fan clutch, and can't comment on it until I find them.
The clutch fan shown in Post 80 was purchased at a swap meet, with no history. The only markings I could find on it was a 0 and the diamond shape. I can find no other numbers on the clutch or hub.

Bigpop:

The hardened putty you found around the shaft may have been provided to stop/slow leaking fluid escaping from the clutch. For $300.00 there is guy in R.I. that will repair, plate, and ink stamp to your specs.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Anyone have pictures of a 9775579 19.5 fan clutch??? bill

Old 07-11-2012, 03:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jake, that would be excellent, to find a restorer of these clutches. I know Fred Oliva used to do them, but, I was told he was out of the hobby now? Could you put the info in the thread about this person? Or, PM, either way. Thank you Larry B.

Old 07-11-2012, 03:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The clutch in post # 80 is exactly like the two NOS ones I have owned. I wish I had saved the tag w/ P/N but, IIRC,it ended in ...79. Probably the P/N Bill shows above, but, that was 15 years ago! Larry B.

Old 07-12-2012, 12:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

These are the NOS DIAMOND U clamps we've touched on in the thread..The olive green are 3/8. I don't understand why Chevy would use the 5/16 in cad while Pontiac uses them in rusty brown (primer color). Any thoughts???? bill
Sorry for the photo quality. I tried for 20 minutes and that is the best I could get.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DIAMOND U CLAMPS 001.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	290900