Old 06-13-2013, 07:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

GREAT find! Couple of things...It looks like Blue Charcoal, which is a non-pinstripe color, although I've seen BC cars with a stripe like yours. White stripe or red stripe. Also, it looks to have a '64 shifter in it, which goes with the early build date. It has the same custom wheel covers and whitewalls mine came with, but mine are long gone. Very happy that you are merely preserving it and not restoring it. What a piece of history,a nd thanks so much for sharing it with us.

Old 06-13-2013, 07:36 PM
Senior Chief

it is Blue charcoal.
It always had the white pinstripe.

the shifter is a 1964 style with no hurst logo on it.

it also has the early dash with no redline on the tach.

the wheel covers are the original ones.

the car came with red line tires and the original owner had them removed prior to delivery as he told them he wanted white wall tires not the red lines.

Old 06-13-2013, 08:01 PM
Senior Chief

It appears you have rally guages and then I read you have a clock. You can't have both. By adding a clock to the rally guage cluster would devalue that option in my opinion. By adding a tach to a non rally guage car would add some value. Not sure what is up with both of those options.

Last edited by Option 382; 06-13-2013 at 08:06 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Arrow Better Pic

This angle shows the complete rally gauge cluster including tach. There is no clock in this dash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01944.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	326432  

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
GREAT find! Couple of things...It looks like Blue Charcoal, which is a non-pinstripe color, although I've seen BC cars with a stripe like yours. White stripe or red stripe. Also, it looks to have a '64 shifter in it, which goes with the early build date. It has the same custom wheel covers and whitewalls mine came with, but mine are long gone. Very happy that you are merely preserving it and not restoring it. What a piece of history,a nd thanks so much for sharing it with us.
Blue Charcoal a non-pinstripe color? First I've ever heard that any particular color was a 'non pinstripe' color. I understand that any color could have been ordered without the pinstripe. I've owned an original paint Blue Charcoal 65 and it had a white pinstripe.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 06-13-2013, 11:52 PM

A VERY nice find. Congratulations! It looks like it has been living a very pampered life. Time to change all the fluids, belts ,hoses and take a long cruise. Oh, how old are those tires?

Old 06-14-2013, 02:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

That is a great looking 65, Now go have some fun in it.

Old 06-14-2013, 07:50 AM

Great Find! I have a Blue Charcoal 65 GTO, 36,000 miles it has a white pinstripe on it too. Leave the car the way it is!

Old 06-14-2013, 08:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What a great find.

And a very cool GTO.

Is that you in the 3rd pic with the sh!t eating grin?

Definitely need some pics of the paperwork, maybe the cowl tag?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 06-14-2013, 08:44 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eiseman View Post
A VERY nice find. Congratulations! It looks like it has been living a very pampered life. Time to change all the fluids, belts ,hoses and take a long cruise. Oh, how old are those tires?

I will have to go thru the paperwork to see when the original owner installed the tires.
They are ..GoodYear Custom Power Cushion Polyglas F78-14

Last edited by RAII 4-speed; 06-14-2013 at 08:45 AM. Reason: added quote
Old 06-14-2013, 08:47 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
What a great find.

And a very cool GTO.

Is that you in the 3rd pic with the sh!t eating grin?

Definitely need some pics of the paperwork, maybe the cowl tag?

The younger guy in the pics is my Son, The older guy is the original owner of the car.

Old 06-14-2013, 09:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAII 4-speed View Post
I will have to go thru the paperwork to see when the original owner installed the tires.
They are ..GoodYear Custom Power Cushion Polyglas F78-14
Based on the low mileage of the car, I would guess that those are original Polyglas tires from the 70's or earlier.

After that, he most likely would have put on radials.

They need to be replaced with new tires regardless - if you plan to drive the car.

Old 06-14-2013, 10:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
The younger guy in the pics is my Son, The older guy is the original owner of the car.
Hmmmm.......

I think I know who thinks they are going to drive this mostly.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 06-14-2013, 01:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
And it is a California car ordered new in 1964 by 1964 GM specs when the original owner ordered it there were no 1965 spec to go by...

The car was delivered in December of 1964 and it has many 1964 parts on it.
Things get a little fuzzy after almost 50 years.
In August 64 , the 65's would have been open for ordering and the 64's already closed down .
All supporting criteria "should" have been in dealers hands no later than September 64.
Maybe his dealer was perhaps behind the status quo - but if it was ordered in October/November 64 - they should have had everything in hand by then.
Who is to say for sure now tho about that particular dealer.

Myself , probably wouldn't sling that detail of story around unless i had a 64 order form that Orig Owner filled out .

Even then , things like Tach&Gauge cluster and the exterior color would have had to have had supporting 65 ordering literature criteria . Neither of those would have been 64 offerings . iirc that color was not used in 64 - T&G definitely was not .

Every original date coded part on the car should have 1964 dates.
But with post-65 model year break on the month coding .
With exception of some limited carry-over late 64 model year parts.
Anything dated later than late July 64 , is a 65 model year part.

Hope that all helps some.
Very rare to find any 65 with Orig Owner and that well preserved.
TriPower 4spd Vert ..... .... .... small needle in a big big cornfield .

The Following User Says Thank You to Baron Von Zeppelin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2013, 04:43 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
Things get a little fuzzy after almost 50 years.
In August 64 , the 65's would have been open for ordering and the 64's already closed down .
All supporting criteria "should" have been in dealers hands no later than September 64.
Maybe his dealer was perhaps behind the status quo - but if it was ordered in October/November 64 - they should have had everything in hand by then.
Who is to say for sure now tho about that particular dealer.

Myself , probably wouldn't sling that detail of story around unless i had a 64 order form that Orig Owner filled out .

Even then , things like Tach&Gauge cluster and the exterior color would have had to have had supporting 65 ordering literature criteria . Neither of those would have been 64 offerings . iirc that color was not used in 64 - T&G definitely was not .

Every original date coded part on the car should have 1964 dates.
But with post-65 model year break on the month coding .
With exception of some limited carry-over late 64 model year parts.
Anything dated later than late July 64 , is a 65 model year part.

Hope that all helps some.
Very rare to find any 65 with Orig Owner and that well preserved.
TriPower 4spd Vert ..... .... .... small needle in a big big cornfield .
I really did not want to explain how the car was ordered the way it was because there would be too many members here stating they know better then the guy himself that did order it...That said I will sum it up, I do have all the order forms when he ordered the car . He actually ordered it 2 times and had to cancel the first order whereas the bank would not lend him more then 4,000 dollars So he reordered the car with less options like no pwer steering and no power brakes ect ect....New total was (3825.00) plus tax and a 12.00 DMV fee..... He was in the army in California when he ordered the car a few years after getting the car, He moved back home here to the Boston area The bank called him and told him they were going to reposess the car if he did not pay for it in full! ... He told them he never missed a payment,... they did not care, They stated they would not finance a car that was across the country.... He then borrowed the remainder of money owed from his new Mother-in-law and paid her the 66.00 a month instead of the bank...He told me that 66.00 a month was a lot of money back then.

I just found this paperwork in the file. Here are some old notes the original owner wrote .This may help

Last edited by RAII 4-speed; 06-14-2013 at 05:01 PM. Reason: added paperwork
Old 06-14-2013, 09:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I really did not want to explain how the car was ordered the way it was because there would be too many members here stating they know better then the guy himself that did order it...
I understand unique original owner's stories; I also recognize the need to be discreet. You can read my car's story in the link below ("My Pontiac Story") - based on the owner's notes you might particularly be interested in post #6! - lol.

I appreciate the owner's notes, particularly the item about the GM 45 day strike. That's good data and probably helps to explain at least part of the delay. My car was ordered in late summer of 1964; built in Pontiac and delivered on September 18th, 1964. It was expedited to us so that it would be off GM property before the strike hit.

Make sure and look for build sheets in the car while you are cleaning and detailing; if you can find a build date that might help determine if the car was built early in the year and stuck on property (or in process) due to the strike; or if it was built closer to the December timeframe and shipped right away after completion.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 06-14-2013 at 09:26 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2013, 07:45 AM
Senior Chief

Congratulations on your purchase of a very special car in stunning condition.

Old 06-15-2013, 10:10 AM
Senior Chief

Thank you.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:45 PM
Senior Chief

As requested here is a scan of the original window sticker................

The Following User Says Thank You to RAII 4-speed For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2013, 09:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via AIM to RA6T7GTO

very very nice, enjoy it