Old 08-04-2014, 07:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Fill, That sure throws me a monkey wrench!!!!!!!!!!!!"Bill"! For sure orig.??
How is bigpop??? No contact for months!!

Old 08-04-2014, 07:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Talking REALLY?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Option 382 View Post
Does anyone have a blank or marked upon judging sheets they can post pics of ? I would like to see what they look at in their judging. Maybe dld can post the rest of his.
Roger,

Hate to break the news to you but your 65 will probably fail in all categories.

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 08-04-2014, 08:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill ryder View Post
Thanks Fill, That sure throws me a monkey wrench!!!!!!!!!!!!"Bill"! For sure orig.??
How is bigpop??? No contact for months!!
Bill, that pic that Fill Zerbe posted (03C KAN) of the 65 with the three bellows boot is the supposedly 4265 mile Black 65 that the late Mr. Ed Lis owned which has some questionable parts on it?

I just rolled through my files of six Original M/T 65's and they all have the two bellows boot.

12A BF
12E BAL
02B PON
3A BF
06D PON
06E PON

Note, no KAS cars on my list so possibly a supplier to that plant had a different style boot?

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 08-04-2014, 10:29 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60sstuff View Post
Roger,

Hate to break the news to you but your 65 will probably fail in all categories.
The judges will tell me "that is not the correct current reproduction part".

Old 08-05-2014, 04:14 PM

Smile slotted nuts

where can I get the slotted nuts on the linkage? does anybody have some for sale thanks.bob. not salted nuts.

Old 08-05-2014, 04:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

they are called Marsden nuts Google it

Old 08-06-2014, 08:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How many do you want? I have 1/4-20 and/or 1/4-28.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 08-06-2014, 09:12 PM
Senior Chief

In the judging score sheets, I see this comment used alot: "should show signs of age and use", but most concours cars look to be better than new. That comment seems to contradict what you see in the field of show cars.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That would be for original class not restored class . if found you have new or repro stuff I'm thinking it's a point or so. on a non restored or survivor car.

Old 08-06-2014, 09:26 PM
Senior Chief

dld, did you see any 64-66 original survivors being judged in your recent car show?

Old 08-06-2014, 09:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

there was a 66 i noticed . a black car . then there also was a 65 original owner car unrestored in the lobby ( very nice to look at for me ). both where they fielded the featured cars. may have been other years but did not pay to much attention un less they were on the way to the beer or mens room

Old 08-06-2014, 09:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

http://greaterpghgto.com/html/pictures.html

Old 08-06-2014, 10:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Another question on the carb base hex nuts; MPC shows 3722860 and (310-M). Do these numbers mean something to someone, or just generic?? "Bill"!

Old 08-07-2014, 12:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

As long as the carb base hex nuts are standard SAE length, 1/2" hex, and colored black, there should not be a problem.

I had no points deducted on my Tripower by GTOAA at Dayton last year. I do have the correct plug wire holder now, however. Here's how mine looked then--studs and nuts, etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	'64 GTO Linkage Kit 006.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	372561  

'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 08-07-2014, 11:02 AM

Default judging

dick I will send you an email. thanks bob.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don`t wish to get into an argument over "nuts" but Marsden nuts, although similar to the factory look of the throttle attaching hardware, is not the nut that was used. the Marsden nuts are a NON LOCKING nut and perhaps not a good choice for safety here. The correct factory nuts are called split beam, split hex, or slotted beam. They of course are self locking and originally developed for the military. The design is also reusable holding their tension several removal cycles. The slotted or split end is slightly squeezed and provides a "bind" to the threads thus locking the nut to the threaded bolt. Several external designs are available, with some looking very close to a slotted crown nut and others similar to a standard slotted nut.(AGAIN many styles) The visual giveaway is the PAPER thin slots and bind of the thread about halfway into the nut. In NO way can a cotter key or pin be used. Marsden nuts typically have wider slots and NO bind to the threads. Without a lock washer, the Marsden is not a safe fastener and very prone to backing off when exposed to vibration.
Hard to find, the split beam nuts are out there. I had a price of 67.84 quoted on 100. (I just don`t want 100)

Old 08-07-2014, 05:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default judging

Quote:
Originally Posted by War eagle View Post
I don`t wish to get into an argument over "nuts" but Marsden nuts, although similar to the factory look of the throttle attaching hardware, is not the nut that was used. the Marsden nuts are a NON LOCKING nut and perhaps not a good choice for safety here. The correct factory nuts are called split beam, split hex, or slotted beam. They of course are self locking and originally developed for the military. The design is also reusable holding their tension several removal cycles. The slotted or split end is slightly squeezed and provides a "bind" to the threads thus locking the nut to the threaded bolt. Several external designs are available, with some looking very close to a slotted crown nut and others similar to a standard slotted nut.(AGAIN many styles) The visual giveaway is the PAPER thin slots and bind of the thread about halfway into the nut. In NO way can a cotter key or pin be used. Marsden nuts typically have wider slots and NO bind to the threads. Without a lock washer, the Marsden is not a safe fastener and very prone to backing off when exposed to vibration.
Hard to find, the split beam nuts are out there. I had a price of 67.84 quoted on 100. (I just don`t want 100)
http://www.amkproducts.com/Catalog_PDF/39-55.pdf PAGE 47

Old 08-07-2014, 05:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

http://www.lok-mor.com/mar-loc.html

http://www.amkproducts.com/bulk2.asp...e=Marsden+Nuts

http://www.dalecompany.com/GREER_STOP_NUT_Locknut.html

http://titanfasteners.com/items.aspx...D+-+UNF&id=113

very posable the oe were different cad plating im sure , may be of different style also. think I found mine used at Carlisle in a box of bolts a vendor had . when I got my carbs back from M. Wesson he had the wrong bolts in.

Last edited by dld; 08-07-2014 at 06:02 PM.
Old 08-07-2014, 06:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

War Eagle is right in saying that the original slotted nuts used on the linkage and various other parts of our old Pontiacs had very thin slots. Most of those you see today have wider slots, but all of them are designed to be self-locking. Both types are available, but in the 1/4-28 size, the narrow-slotted type is very not easy to find and sometimes quite expensive since most vendors sell only lots of 100 pc. or $50 min.

Only one of the vendors in the post above has 1/4-28 nuts. The other vendors list only 3/8" and larger thread size.

If you examine either the wide slot or narrow slot type, you'll see on the bottom side (that contacts the surface to be secured), there is a chamfer or relief next to the threads. When the nut is tightened, this relief causes the nut to distort and squeeze the slotted area tight against the male threads. So, functionally, the Marsden nuts are fine. If you need complete originality, the thin slotted version is available. Some of us regularly criticize the Corvette guys for being very exacting, but we're becoming more like that group every year!

When my '64 GTO was judged by GTOAA, no points were deducted for the wider-slot Marsden nuts.

'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 08-07-2014, 07:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dick B

Speaking of details you did not answer my question on the date coding of hose clamps . Did they look to see if you had dates on yours. They did mine and i did not