Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 09-30-2022, 07:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Legendary Door Panel Fit 69 GTO

Hi all,

The body shop is trying to fit the new door panels and they don't fit well. They sit too high, and are too long. Thus, the holes for window crank/etc do not line up as needed (too high), and the body shop is worried with the amount of extra material hanging over the edge, that the new panels would get boogered up if we close the door with the panel on.

Anyone have experience with this? Body man is thinking he might be able to modify the new panels to fit, but it would be two hours per panel (~$400).

Thanks!

Old 09-30-2022, 08:29 PM
Senior Chief

Had a similar problem couple months ago with Al Knoch door panels. Repop parts are horrible the past dew years.
I just did Legendary seat trims in front of our Firebird, and there were a few errors in the listings and panel size consistency. Due to availability, had to use PUI for the rear seat. Fit and quality was very good. Extremely happy. Legendary was the benchmark 20 years ago, not the same amymore. PUI has greatly improved.

Old 10-03-2022, 08:40 AM
Ames Tech Staff member

Quote:
Originally Posted by getmygoat View Post
Hi all,

The body shop is trying to fit the new door panels and they don't fit well. They sit too high, and are too long. Thus, the holes for window crank/etc do not line up as needed (too high), and the body shop is worried with the amount of extra material hanging over the edge, that the new panels would get boogered up if we close the door with the panel on.

Anyone have experience with this? Body man is thinking he might be able to modify the new panels to fit, but it would be two hours per panel (~$400).

Thanks!
getmygoat, I apologize for any issues you guys might be having! Legendary has always made a top notch product. If possible, please email some images to myself so we can assess any issues they might be having. If you might be able to get some dimensions of the panel compared to the shell, this will help as well. Please forward all information to kyler@amesperf.com.

Thank you!
Kyler @ Ames

Old 10-03-2022, 08:49 AM
Senior Chief

I bought the legendary set covers front and back for my 69 GTO match perfect and fit perfect. Not a problem. Took 6 months to get thought.

Old 10-03-2022, 09:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I recently noticed that the driver side OEM panel for my 68 GTO door, which came from a 68 Lemans ... the window crank hole is misaligned enough that the hole shows with the crank on (holes too high) ... The right side door panel which is original to the car fits perfectly.

The 68 Lemans OEM panel even has plain as day witness marks where it fit on the original Lemans the same way.

This Lemans panel installed on my GTO would also try to hang up when the door was closed because it seemed a tad too long.

The Lemans and GTO came from different plants. Exact problems you are describing but with OEM panels. Makes a person wonder if there are two sets of blue prints out there, or some whacky minor change during production.

Old 10-05-2022, 06:40 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoovDaddy View Post
Had a similar problem couple months ago with Al Knoch door panels. Repop parts are horrible the past dew years.
I just did Legendary seat trims in front of our Firebird, and there were a few errors in the listings and panel size consistency. Due to availability, had to use PUI for the rear seat. Fit and quality was very good. Extremely happy. Legendary was the benchmark 20 years ago, not the same amymore. PUI has greatly improved.
nice little motor in your bio

Old 03-18-2023, 07:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi all,

Just an update on this issue. Legendary was nice enough to make me a new set of panels. Hard to believe but the new set still doesn't fit. Open to the idea I'm doing something wrong here but not sure how I could be messing it up. Some pics attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	panel3.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	609083   Click image for larger version

Name:	panel2.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	609084   Click image for larger version

Name:	panel1.jpg
Views:	162
Size:	31.1 KB
ID:	609085  

Old 03-18-2023, 07:55 PM

Did you try flipping the clip around and putting it toward the bottom of the hole in the door panel instead of the top? It may give you the alignment you need.

Old 03-18-2023, 09:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default more pics

more pics
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	original panel.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	609090   Click image for larger version

Name:	new panel.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	609091   Click image for larger version

Name:	panel standing 2.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	609092   Click image for larger version

Name:	panels standing.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	609093  

Old 03-18-2023, 09:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinindian68 View Post
Did you try flipping the clip around and putting it toward the bottom of the hole in the door panel instead of the top? It may give you the alignment you need.

Thanks but it is slid toward the bottom already

Old 03-21-2023, 09:17 AM
Ames Tech Staff member

Quote:
more pics
Getmygoat, can you please email me once more with your info? I'd like to get this over to Legendary and see what's up. We recently had another issue very similar to yours but the replacement set did actually fix the issue. They've got to get it right! I hope to talk soon.

Kyler @ Ames
kyler.beal@yahoo.com
(800)421-2637

Old 06-09-2023, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Hi all,

Just an update on this issue. Legendary was nice enough to make me a new set of panels. Hard to believe but the new set still doesn't fit. Open to the idea I'm doing something wrong here but not sure how I could be messing it up. Some pics attached.
I had the exact same issue with my panels, which I just put on yesterday. Mine were from PUI, purchased through AMES. I had to test fit the panels at least 3 times on each. I put the panels on, some pins lined up, 2 on the drivers side and 3 on the passenger side. Then I had to remove the panels, twist the push pins and test fir the panel back on the door. In the end , it took a while to get everything lined up correctly, but then the drivers door panel, at the bottom, was so warped, I needed to use 3M VHB double sided stick tape to keep it flat against the door frame.

Old 06-10-2023, 03:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So, it doesn't look like the '69 uses the stamped metal former at the top door like the '68 models? In my case, I reused the metal from the originals and attached the Legendary panels in the same way the originals attached. Fit was good.
Your side by side end view photo clearly shows a problem with the panels.