Old 02-25-2017, 12:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow!
Thanks for sharing!

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 02-25-2017, 08:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Beautiful car and sounds great! Lucy blue is one of Pontiac's best ever colors.

Old 02-26-2017, 01:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Don't know what there is to disagree about, it looks great Jim, sounds good, and will be a fun car with that power on tap. That's gettin' it done pretty good with manifolds in place, and the repop intake looks like it works well enough. Enjoy it!!
Larry,

My mechanic was trying to get me to use Doug's headers with an 1.75 inch primary and 3 inch collector. He said it would add 30hp to the number posted above. I'm guessing 10-15 lbs. of TQ would have been added.

I had a brand new pair of round port exhaust manifolds with the 2.5 inch outlet for another build and decided to use headers instead. I couldn't see leaving them in the box when they would be perfect for this car.

Old 02-26-2017, 01:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by napster View Post
Larry,

My mechanic was trying to get me to use Doug's headers with an 1.75 inch primary and 3 inch collector. He said it would add 30hp to the number posted above. I'm guessing 10-15 lbs. of TQ would have been added.

I had a brand new pair of round port exhaust manifolds with the 2.5 inch outlet for another build and decided to use headers instead. I couldn't see leaving them in the box when they would be perfect for this car.
I agree if you have them may as well use them. On a car like that it makes good sense. Nothing wrong with the power it made.

Old 02-26-2017, 01:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Love em or hate em, headers add substantial power on a built big engine. I agree on 30hp there. Bolts get loose, they are loud, they dent, but they work. You need good big tube ones. Super Comp etc...

Old 02-28-2017, 02:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Beautiful car and garage! Very nice collection of birds!

How do you like the 4 post lifts? I'm looking at purchasing one probably this month.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 03-02-2017, 11:06 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCMDGTO View Post
Beautiful car and sounds great! Lucy blue is one of Pontiac's best ever colors.
Thanks for the compliment.

Old 03-02-2017, 11:09 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72projectbird View Post
Beautiful car and garage! Very nice collection of birds!

How do you like the 4 post lifts? I'm looking at purchasing one probably this month.
Thanks for the response.

The lifts in the garage are ok. They are provided by the owners of the complex. If I were to purchase a lift it would be from Bendpak.

Jim

Old 03-05-2017, 06:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Any reason why Bendpak over the Atlas? I too am about 2-3 weeks out from purchasing a 4 post lift, have been considering the Direct Lift. Just currious why Bendpak. Very nice collection of birds by the way...also very nest for them

2006 GTO Phantom Black 6spd.
1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air.
1976 LE Trans Am 50th Anniversary Edition with T top.
1976 Formula 350.
1977 Grand Prix Model J 350.
1978 Trans am 400 Pontiac.
1979 Trans am 403 Olds.
1968 Olds 442.
1971 TR6.
Old 03-05-2017, 09:45 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by charles bledsoe View Post
Any reason why Bendpak over the Atlas? I too am about 2-3 weeks out from purchasing a 4 post lift, have been considering the Direct Lift. Just currious why Bendpak. Very nice collection of birds by the way...also very nest for them
I was going to put a lift into my garage at home and did research along with seeing lifts friends have put into their garages. There experiences with the bendpak lift was very good. The Atlas lifts are very slow and sometimes get hung up. Have to have two people watch the car when it is brought down.

Thanks for the compliment on the bird house. The 1999 dark blue car is not mine. Belongs to a friend who ran out of room. It will be there until my 1969 & 1970 GTOs come back. Interesting storing on the blue bird. Was raced at the track and got a 10.83 in the 1/4 mile. Put down 560HP to the rear wheels.

Jim

Old 03-06-2017, 05:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks Jim for the information on the Atlas Lift! I really don't want to have someone else watch when lowering a car. I will be using mine for storage also when not working on something as space is getting tight in the shop/garage. Right now I have the 77 Grand Prix outside on a dirt floor barn which the horses occupy part of and need to get it moved. I really like your posters you have on the wall. Where did you find them? Finally saw the video of your 70 T/A, What a Beautiful Bird!! Hope to get a 70-72 T/A one day, they have always been my favorite. Thanks for the pics and video!

Chuck

2006 GTO Phantom Black 6spd.
1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air.
1976 LE Trans Am 50th Anniversary Edition with T top.
1976 Formula 350.
1977 Grand Prix Model J 350.
1978 Trans am 400 Pontiac.
1979 Trans am 403 Olds.
1968 Olds 442.
1971 TR6.
Old 03-06-2017, 10:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by napster View Post

The Atlas lifts sometimes get hung up. Have to have two people watch the car when it is brought down.

Jim
No offense, but this is a bogus claim without foundation. Are the Bendpak's a better lift - yes. At a 40% to 50% price premium they better be. But the claims made above are simply not correct.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwheelbob View Post
No offense, but this is a bogus claim without foundation. Are the Bendpak's a better lift - yes. At a 40% to 50% price premium they better be. But the claims made above are simply not correct.
I bought a couple of bendpaks and they are not that great. I have a 15 year old K&W four post that is much sturdier and have never had a problem with that I use for most of my projects.. Most of the lift today are made in China and have the same design.

Old 03-07-2017, 11:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's a pic of the Superlift that I use the crap out of. It literally goes up and down nearly everyday for the last 10 years without a single complaint. Excellent lift however I'm not sure they are around anymore.

Before this one I had an Atlas that Greg Smith sells and I didn't like it. It was a smaller 7,000 lbs. unit but it would struggle with a 4,000 lbs. car on it. With no weight at all on it, the darn thing would never come down. Just wouldn't bleed off any pressure, similar to I guess what Napster is saying as they get hung up. I had to get the family out there and climb up onto it for weight, kind of comical to see. But for sure it would not lift the weight capacity it was advertised for. I won't own another Atlas lift.

I'm getting ready to buy a couple of 4 post lifts for storage reasons like the OP is doing as I need to clear up some floor space. I'm leaning towards a couple of brands that have been at Barrett Jackson on display. The one I really like and will probably go with are from a place called Advantage Lifts.

Last edited by Formulajones; 05-15-2017 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-07-2017, 12:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jones, thanks for the the input on the 2 post SuperLift. Am in the market for a quality 2 post. Have to worry about earthquakes around here, & would like to find a well built 2 post. All I've run into in used 2 posts in my area were well worn Rotary 2 posts (Ford Rotunda's). Not knowing what to look at with them disassembled on several pallets I was very hesitant to bid on them as to what repairs would be needed.

Sorry for hijack Jim. Love the Lucerne blue '70, looks like a strong runner!

Old 03-07-2017, 02:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Rotary's are great lifts. Like you though, I'd be hesitant to buy used when it's in pieces.

That Superlift is extremely robust. It's almost 14 feet tall and is their 12,000 lbs. capacity. I'd certainly buy the 4 posts I need from them, but haven't found another supplier.

Old 03-10-2017, 02:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwheelbob View Post
My imaged foundation……

Lift number 1 – Slow as molasses to come down when no weight on the lift. When a car is on the lift only three of the corners will disengage the locks and one will stay engaged no matter how many times it is adjusted. Could lead to a big problem when the lock on one corner will not disengage. I almost had a big problem with this. This is why I will not take a car down without someone else watching the other end of the car to make sure all corners disengage. Lift was replaced.

Lift number 2 – Same problems as lift number one with one addition. Hydraulic fluid dripped on to the car on the bottom. Lucky to catch it as the fluid was on the driver’s window and didn’t get to the paint. Lift was replaced.

Bentwheelbob, I see from another post you have the same lifts. I hope you continue to have good luck with the lifts. If you encounter any of my imaged experience don’t come crying to me!

No offense……

Last edited by napster; 03-10-2017 at 02:21 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 03:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My imagined foundation……

Lift number 1 – Slow as molasses to come down when no weight on the lift. When a car is on the lift only three of the corners will disengage the locks and one will stay engaged no matter how many times it is adjusted. Could lead to a big problem when the lock on one corner will not disengage. I almost had a big problem with this. This is why I will not take a car down without someone else watching the other end of the car to make sure all corners disengage. Lift was replaced.

Lift number 2 – Same problems as lift number one with one addition. Hydraulic fluid dripped on to the car on the bottom. Lucky to catch it as the fluid was on the driver’s window and didn’t get to the paint. Lift was replaced.

Bentwheelbob, I see from another post you have the same lifts. I hope you continue to have good luck with the lifts. If you encounter any of my imagined experience don’t come crying to me!

No offense……