Old 04-23-2000, 10:26 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to PMD428

I want to know if the 67 (round) hurst shifter will fit a M22 tranny. This is a 70-72 year vintage I think. Fine spline shaft. I got in my 67 gto, but I have the wrong shifter on it.

Old 04-23-2000, 10:26 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to PMD428

I want to know if the 67 (round) hurst shifter will fit a M22 tranny. This is a 70-72 year vintage I think. Fine spline shaft. I got in my 67 gto, but I have the wrong shifter on it.

Old 04-24-2000, 06:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Almost any Hurst 4 speed shifter can be made to work on a MUNCIE trans, the key is the mounting plate there is a place on the tailshaft where you bolt up the plate and there is one for the M-22 trans where there are only 3 tapped threaded places cast into the tailshaft, the other Muncie 4-s from the 60s have more holes to accept many different types of those plates because GM used that trans in so many different kinds of cars during that time.

------------------
Peter Serio
Owner, Precision Pontiac

Old 04-24-2000, 10:39 PM
Bonker's-T-Cat Moderator

The shifter will be a direct bolt in for your
GTO. Use the same bolt holes as the previous shifter as a starting point. Mount it and then check it in your console for proper clearence. M22's can have 5 bolt holes. Most likely you have a late 70 up Munci with the large countershaft. These transmissions have fine spline input and output shafts. If you have the side cover off the angle of the gears are almost strait across. M22's also make more noise than normal Munci transmissions. Is the trans a close ratio?

------------------
Mr. Z