Old 05-06-2000, 11:46 PM

Couldn't find a forum this fit in, so I put it in the Lobby.

I am doing a frame off "restification" of a '66 GTO. The body is currently stripped down to bare metal (and rust) and is on a roterrsire. I noted that when stripping it down that Pontiac made some attempt to put sound and/or heat insulation in the car (tarred pads inside the quarter panels, jute pad under the carpet, a pad above the head liner, etc.)

I would assume that by now (some 35 or so years later) there are better material available (and looking at some of the street rod catalogs people seem to think there is).

Does anybody have any experience/recommendations for the newer insulation? Stuff like foil backed or not?, thickness to use?, places to use it (only where Pontiac had insulation, or additional places)?, how to attach it so it doesn't fall off?, etc). Seems that you could quiet the noise down a little (course you still want to leave the windows open so you can hear the pipes).

Appreciate any feed back, even if it is "leave it just like Pontiac wanted it".

Thanks, Ed

Old 05-06-2000, 11:46 PM

Couldn't find a forum this fit in, so I put it in the Lobby.

I am doing a frame off "restification" of a '66 GTO. The body is currently stripped down to bare metal (and rust) and is on a roterrsire. I noted that when stripping it down that Pontiac made some attempt to put sound and/or heat insulation in the car (tarred pads inside the quarter panels, jute pad under the carpet, a pad above the head liner, etc.)

I would assume that by now (some 35 or so years later) there are better material available (and looking at some of the street rod catalogs people seem to think there is).

Does anybody have any experience/recommendations for the newer insulation? Stuff like foil backed or not?, thickness to use?, places to use it (only where Pontiac had insulation, or additional places)?, how to attach it so it doesn't fall off?, etc). Seems that you could quiet the noise down a little (course you still want to leave the windows open so you can hear the pipes).

Appreciate any feed back, even if it is "leave it just like Pontiac wanted it".

Thanks, Ed

Old 05-07-2000, 11:27 PM
Administrator

Good question, but I'd like to see this kind of stuff in Tech. Since you're working on a 66 GTO, we'll move it there.

Old 05-07-2000, 11:32 PM
Administrator

Some of these insulations are just now becoming available in whatever the mfg determines is closest to the original. One deviation is the under carpet floor insulation. Original is tar based and would fuel a car fire. So the mfg found a fire retardent rubber that does the sound deadening nicely. Ironically the mfg also found the orig. material recently and that has now become just as popular as the newer high tech stuff. Go figure.

Old 05-08-2000, 02:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ed,
I've had (and friends have had) good luck with Dyna-Mat. This stuff really knocks the resonance down. What I'm planning on doing to the LeMans is:
1) Hi heat Dyna-mat on firewall/front floor area (this is the stuff with foil)
2) Regular DM on the back of the floors/wheel wells/package tray.
3) Either thin headliner DM or foil backed jute padding for the headliner area.

After all the Dyna-Mat is down, I'll add a layer of foil backed jute padding to further cushion/insolate. You can purchase Dyna-Mat at a car stereo shop or through places like Summit, etc. The foil backed jute can be purchased at Pep Boys (about $20.00 roll)
Good luck-

------------------
John