The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 07-03-2012, 10:44 AM

Default The never ending quest for a trunk floor...

So...

This is for a 70 gto.

I had a 3-4 foot section in the trunk needing replaced. It didnt go all the way to the front, and only the left trunk drop off section needed cut out, the right was just a few inches in. Overall it wasnt horrible, just makes it easier to do a larger patch than try to put 20+ patches in the trunk... Hindsight being... I think maybe the patchs might have been better.

Anyways off to ordering replacement panels...

attempt 1: Purchase Spectre left and right side...

Not unreasonable quality, way thicker than stock, its built like a tank and cost more.
Stamping it good quality. I think it was 40, stock is 32. Decided not to use it. Its just too thick and I have to take the trunk supports out, its a pain getting this thick stuff to match. And the area where the trunk drop meets is completely out of whack. Right side was junk, half stamped! Thanks guys... returned the right, already hacked the left. This does not come with braces btw even though they advertise with it. I was tempted to order another right side. I could see they totally jacked this stamping as it looked like they double stamped it(weird rippling in the large flat section).

attempt 2: edp coated Goodmark/Sherman full center piece(the cheap one that misses about 3 inches outside that connect to the trunk drop.... Fits in good. Stamping would be usable IF the back of the trunk had anything even close(the curve up section, I cut it in the middle of the back brace thinking it would be an optimal place to cut, that may have been a mistake also)... the ribs are 2 inches off and just generic rounded bumps. I guess you arent supposed to use that section... Unfortunately I do. (price I found ran from 60$ to 109$) I picked up at summit, no shipping.

attempt 3: Sherman 3 piece, bare metal. I have the center section and its nice. Stock thickness, good quality and goes back far enough. Its on order and it should have the trunk drop connections. I didnt really want the three peice since it overlaps but if it is good I will use it. At this point I don't care.

Its on order so I will see how it goes.

I don't want or need the Sherman/goodmark 7 piece...

Old 07-03-2012, 11:43 AM
Senior Chief

Send a message via AIM to 1968firebird455

For that much trouble it seams like the one piece with the braces would have been the way to go depending on what equipment you have (2 post lift).

Old 07-03-2012, 10:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thought you were trying to keep original metal? Maybe a trip out to see Steve in Phoenix is in order? Please take me with you, I need a break from all this humidity. :-)
Russ

Old 07-03-2012, 11:12 PM

It had a little rust, I am just cleaning it up.

Trunk floor was an issue and the very bottoms of the quarters, some window channels.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:25 AM

The 3 piece sherman sucked also... and the trunk drops are opposite?

It was the non edp coated.

sigh...

Now I ordered the 3 piece goodmark(edp coated).

I only ordered the sides and from the pictures they looked the best.

so

1. Spectre... super thick, left side was okay, right side was horribly stamped, expensive(150$ per piece). Butt welding(the pieces overlap so they need cut)

2. Goodmark/tiawan full patch edp coated(junk), 99$, missing 2-3 inches from trunk drops.
no crimp edge half stamped... back edge going upwards is essentially non existant, just pressure relief crimps(way off and just round).

3. Sherman non edp coated 3 piece(solid but junk and trunk drops go up!). 140$
both ends were double stamped and warped badly, center section was good,
This has the crimps on the edges for lap welding.

4. 7 piece edp coated?

5. Full entire size trunk edp coated?

6. 3 piece EDP coated(60$ a section) incoming.

Old 07-09-2012, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by russosborne View Post
Thought you were trying to keep original metal? Maybe a trip out to see Steve in Phoenix is in order? Please take me with you, I need a break from all this humidity. :-)
Russ
couple guys I called were rude...

I found alot better selection. This guy has way more cars and isnt a rude salesman

Old 07-10-2012, 11:00 PM

success...

180$ shipped from ebay for the 3 piece edp coated set.

Its based off part of the "7" piece set.

Great fit, replicated all the correct impressions.

I think the center piece can be butt welded if you want but it comes with the lap welding bends.

So far the end pieces are awesome. No huge ripples, no flat section where they missed the stamping... no warped pieces...

these were drop shipped from "golden star". Made in Taiwan...

part number TF03-68R was the right section
left TF03-68L

hmm here are more pics...
http://www.ctcautoranch.com/Catalog/...cessories.html