The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 07-24-2012, 06:39 PM
Senior Chief

Default Best time during resto to build Sub-Frame?

Hey guys.....looking for some advice here. I'm torn on when the best time to build the sub-frame is during a restoration? Here's my situation.

Been working on my dad's '69 Firebird Convertible for him, and it's been on a dolly we made for a few years now. Due to a new baby, a new, incredibly stressful career starting up (Air Traffic Control) and moving at some point during this all (not going to have a garage to work in), I won't be able to work on this project for a few years at least.

We have a 6 week old daughter who just sleeps most of the time, and I won't be starting my new career until late fall if I'm lucky, so my dad wants me to make one last push to at least get this thing on it's wheels, so it's easier to tow and move around. And I'd like to as well, this dolly is a PITA! The sub-frame has nothing on it but the LCA's, and needs stripped down and coated/painted, along with the rest of the suspension. I just don't know if I should do all this now, so early in the restoration? I'd hate to paint it up all pretty, only to have it get trashed by months/years worth of body work and sitting around collecting dust. I mean, I'll be surprised if this project gets done in 5 years time. lol

On the other hand though, I don't want to be doing stuff twice, and putting together rusty, 43 year old suspension components doesn't sound appealing to me either. If I just assembled everything enough to get it rolling, I don't know how hard it would be to take all the bushings and whatnot back out once the time comes to clean/paint everything? Or maybe just mask them off, and stay away from the new bushings with the sandblaster. lol

Thanks in advance! And here are a few shots to show what I've been working with...

We bought it in a million pieces...(subframe isn't bolted on, just slid under there)

Dolly...

Sandblasted and DP90'ed...