Old 09-15-2017, 11:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Its 227 on cowl. forgot the book is off by a number

Old 09-18-2017, 07:19 PM

I remember seeing this car at the Ames show in Norwalk and the TA Nationals in Dayton in the early 2000’s. I too questioned the interior combo. I recall a few things he said.

First, He said he did extensive research (based on what was available at the time) while restoring the car. He did replace the floor carpet, but was not 100% it was correct. He removed the door panels to verify originally and he examined the lower carpet fabric and vinyl edging closely. To him the edging looked black. Also knowing it came with a Formula wheel and black column, he learned it was common for the carpet to match the column. So he based his decision on these two things. You might remove a door panel and make your own opinion based on what you see.

As far as the console lid I asked why it was not dark sandalwood like the console. I recall he said he thought it was original because it was padded and not hard plastic like the reproductions available at the time and when he disassembled it (remove the screws on the underside piece to remove the lid) he noticed the unexposed vinyl that wraps around the edges was light sandalwood. Might be something easy for you to do and again see for yourself. Could be that it was changed before he bought the car and is from a 71 or dealer stock (70 and 71 where the only years Sandalwood was offered and the lids have a different part number). There are many unexplainable and unverifiable things on these old cars. They did not stop the production line or delivery for every little thing that was not “by the book”.

Others things I remember that he said the only seat that had been recovered was the driver’s seat. The passenger and rear seats were original. He did re-dye the interior to match so possibly a shade off due to age. The ram air air clean was an original which he paid over $600.00 at the time (reproductions were not available then). Also I noticed it did not have the correct 15x7 JW Rally II wheels that were listed on the PHS. It had KR’s, but what can you say about that given how hard it is to find JWs and how much they cost when you are lucky to find them. I paid $2100 for 5 several years back.

Good to hear this car is still being taken care of. Very rare! I would love to see this car again. Maybe at another show when I finish my brother and sister cars. A 1970 Trans Am White with black interior 88k original miles and a 1970 Formula 400 Castilian Bronze with standard Sandalwood (207) Formula wheel with black column. Both 04B Norwood cars only 33 body numbers apart. So if you find that elusive sandalwood tree or at least a good source for the correct color Sandalwood carpet please let me know.

Old 09-26-2017, 07:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
Sandalwood Tree ! >>I may be selling a friends 1970 Deluxe ( seats have inserts) Sandalwood interior pieces For him soon. 1970 sales code 217 . > No carpet. <<< just gauging if a PY member really needs a piece for restoration before they end up on ebay or Facebook 2nd Gen sites .I will get pics as needed soon.. Parts are in New Hampshire. Pic showed is for interest...
This color seems like the '84.5 Anniversary Trans Ams I had. There was a multitude of colors in that interior made by different vendors.

Hey, Bruce - PM sent. I'm interested-

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 11-11-2023, 12:57 AM

Default Dark Sandalwood Carpet

Hi everyone. I just now stumbled on this super old thread but I felt compelled to comment. I bought my '70 Formula from Las Vegas in fall 2019. As far as myself and many other people can tell, my car is all original. Its a California built car and stayed there all its life until I bought it.
The heater core had been leaking when I bought it and the front carpet was trashed. Well, after a 2 year long search I've come to the conclusion that nobody makes the proper color carpet, and apparently didn't even back in 2010. The carpet is Dark Sandalwood (Trenton). I've attached a pic of the mfg tag on the back...even shows the date it was made and a part number.
Also attached is a pic of my carpet next to an ACC Medium Saddle. The difference is big. Hope everyone that had previously posted to this thread finds
it at least a bit interesting if nothing else.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_3990.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	623147   Click image for larger version

Name:	carpet compare.gif
Views:	64
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	623148   Click image for larger version

Name:	carpet tag.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	64.5 KB
ID:	623149  

The Following User Says Thank You to 69Y97GP For This Useful Post:
Old 11-11-2023, 12:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Keith is a Sandalwood expert. My opinion is that there are about 4 shades of Sandalwood in a bird.. I have deluxe door panels with carpet on bottom

Old 11-11-2023, 01:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Y97GP View Post
Hi everyone. I just now stumbled on this super old thread but I felt compelled to comment. I bought my '70 Formula from Las Vegas in fall 2019. As far as myself and many other people can tell, my car is all original. Its a California built car and stayed there all its life until I bought it.
The heater core had been leaking when I bought it and the front carpet was trashed. Well, after a 2 year long search I've come to the conclusion that nobody makes the proper color carpet, and apparently didn't even back in 2010. The carpet is Dark Sandalwood (Trenton). I've attached a pic of the mfg tag on the back...even shows the date it was made and a part number.
Also attached is a pic of my carpet next to an ACC Medium Saddle. The difference is big. Hope everyone that had previously posted to this thread finds
I remember that car being advertised. I was on the edge of pulling the trigger. Nice clean unmolested original car.

Maybe try ordering brown carpet?

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 11-11-2023, 06:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
Keith is a Sandalwood expert. My opinion is that there are about 4 shades of Sandalwood in a bird.. I have deluxe door panels with carpet on bottom
What’s condition of your door panels ?

Old 11-12-2023, 12:16 AM

71GP76TA.
Unmolested isn't even the word. I replaced the plug wires this summer.
Attached is a pic of one of the old ones dated 2-Q-70. The car was shipped July 16th of '70. Its crazy but with 56000 miles I swear they're the original wires.
They have taken a "set" to the shape they were on the engine for 50 years.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_4679.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	623181  

Old 11-12-2023, 10:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Y97GP View Post
That's a good looking Sandalwood interior - certainly rare to find originals in that condition. Looks like your car has the Sandalwood vinyl mats as well? As I recall, that's not a color that's reproduced now.

Thanks for posting the pic of the carpet tag.

Old 11-12-2023, 10:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On the topic of Sandalwood, at this year's Norwalk show, there was a low mileage '70 Formula with the Code 227 Deluxe Cloth Sandalwood interior. The owner claimed it was all original, but he had recently purchased the car from a dealer. The carpet was clearly not original, but most of the rest of the interior appeared to be, including the seat inserts. Definitely the nicest condition original '70 cloth inserts I've seen on a car (have seen a handful of others in photos only, and they were generally all torn up).
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3123.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	86.8 KB
ID:	623234   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3128.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	623235  

Old 11-13-2023, 01:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellyshavilli View Post
What’s condition of your door panels ?
Not too good, was referencing that the carpet might be able to be used to match up some new carpet. I have the seat covers and plastic too. Was a deluxe car with the added cloth inserts