The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 07-20-2012, 03:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Looking for some pics...

I am in need of pics of the rear end of a 67 Tempest. (2dr)

My shop has installed the new trunk floor and extensions and has tacked in a new rear tail panel and mocked up the quarter skins.

The extensions are not lining up. The left rear is about 1" too short. The right rear is over 2" too short.... Also my left extension came bare while the right one came coated with EDP. Everything was ordered from PY.

Anyway, I'm hoping to have a few good clear pics of how things are lining up; how the tail lights sit in relation to the sheet metal (tilt if any); how the final 3-4" of the quarter extensions are supposed to look; and how the bumper si supposed to fit in relation to the indents... We're looking to have all the measurements and clearances as tight and uniform as possible. Any pics you all can post would be greatly appreciated and very helpful.

TIA

Old 07-21-2012, 09:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've got my 67 lemans torn apart for some paint prep, I'll post some pics later when I get back today, now are you talking about the trunk drop of panels that connect the bottom of the quarters to the quarters in relation to "extensions" or are you talking about trunk floor panels with that 3 piece repop style? I remember something in the Ames catalog about repop quarters being 66 panels and for 67 you have to keep some of the original sheet metal at the back edge when using them.

Old 07-21-2012, 04:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Trunk drop of panels that come down and should line up with the bottoms of the quarters.

Yes, unfortunately I'm working with the repop stuff that is available and the majority of the parts are for 66/67... The quarter "extension" at the tail end of the quarters will als need to be addressed..

When I bought this car, I was aware that it was old and over 40+ years accidents happen... Apparently this one was hit in the rear and the bumper was bent and some of the parts got out of alignment. My shop is asking for pics of what everything (un damaged) should look like... They'd even like to see the clearances of the bumper in relation to the pre-formed indents in the quarters... Apparently, looking at many of these cars at cars shows is not always helpful as there are some terrible jobs out there disguised with pretty paint...

So, pics of the rear with the bumper, w/o the bumper, may some side shots--- Just want to make sure we have it perfect before tacking it all together.

Thanks in advance...

Old 07-21-2012, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

These are of my GTO, but they may help you. I like to keep my bumper back a little for the inevitable bump.

Never hit in the rear, except for me backing over a gas pump!

Want more?
Charles
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8864.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	291851   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN8876.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	81.0 KB
ID:	291852  

Old 07-21-2012, 07:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's a pic you might need. LH drop off showing drain plug.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN7044.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	291861  

Old 07-21-2012, 10:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

here's a few, should give you a perspective on the pitch of the rear panel, definitely angles in at the top, If you need more, just email me, I'll be grinding on it all day tomorrow!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P0009197.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	291864   Click image for larger version

Name:	P0009205.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	52.0 KB
ID:	291865   Click image for larger version

Name:	P0009198.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	291866   Click image for larger version

Name:	P0009202.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	52.7 KB
ID:	291867  

Old 07-22-2012, 09:08 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks guys! This is what I was looking for...

If you look at the first pic that GTO4evr posted you can see the the quarter is slightly longer than the extension that mates to it... We have this same fitment issue with the new-repop parts. Wonder if it's the same on the other side. I will show my body shop and see if they can use these pics to get the proper prospective... Thanks again.

And Old Goat: thanks for the bumper shot. Looks like the perfect spot to be ready for any minor bumps...

Old 07-22-2012, 12:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by boostmaster View Post
Thanks guys! This is what I was looking for...

If you look at the first pic that GTO4evr posted you can see the the quarter is slightly longer than the extension that mates to it... We have this same fitment issue with the new-repop parts. Wonder if it's the same on the other side. ...
yes, other side is identical on that overlap. My car pictured is all original sheetmetal (for now), patch panel on left side soon as I was dumb and never got around to fixing the waterleak coming in from the lower seam on the tail panel and now I'm paying for it.

Old 07-22-2012, 03:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Good info... I hope to get some pics by this next Friday. I am using the parts that are currently available... The fit is not very good. My shop is very good, so I know they'll make it work but once I get some pics I'll post up so that others might see what they're getting into if they decide to tackle a 67...

Old 07-27-2012, 01:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This is what I'm working with. Notice the left side looks relatively close to stock. The right side has about 2" of space almost all the way down. The shop is insisting that this is the wrong extension. However, it's labeled as 66-67.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tempest rear June 27, 2012 015.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	292529   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tempest rear June 27, 2012 016.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	292530   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tempest rear June 27, 2012 012.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	292531   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tempest rear June 27, 2012 013.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	47.8 KB
ID:	292532   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tempest rear June 27, 2012 014.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	47.7 KB
ID:	292533  

Old 07-27-2012, 01:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe labeled as such, but UGH?

Have you sent this pictures to your supplier?

Old 07-27-2012, 02:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It's PY.... I'm going to try and email them from here... Is there anyone in particular I should talk to?

Old 07-27-2012, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My opinion is: The junction of too many repops. In my experience, every repop panel I've ever used has required tweaking. You've got a repop trunk floor, a repop extension, repop tail panel, repop quarters....Just lining up all factory parts requires an extensive amount of adjustments and a ton of patience. Dealing with all the aftermarket parts is bound to be worse. Could be that they welded the extensions too high on the trunk floor, could be that the angle needs to be bent inward and the quarters flexed up higher to catch the seam the right way. I know fit on on the 66/67 repop quarters is considered poor. Here's an excerpt from the Ames catalog:

"these 1966-67 panels fit poorly and are quite wavy requiring extensive work. Another problem area with this panel is behind the wheelwell. Customers have found fair results by combining these skins with patch panels. Unfortunately, these are the only panels available at this time."

I wish I had better news for you but I doubt you'll resolve it with a phone call to PY, it's just the aftermarket crap we're stuck with. I guess it's better than nothing so I won't complain louder.

Good luck!

Old 07-28-2012, 09:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's a few edge shots. It may be your camera angle but I don't think your extension is angling inward as far as it should. Looks to me like it needed to be welded lower on the trunk floor, and then bent inward to match the lower edge of the quarter. To fix the problem now, I'd say you'll need some material welded on the extension, then bend the whole thing inward to catch the quarter and pull it up under.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P0009254.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	53.9 KB
ID:	292629   Click image for larger version

Name:	P0009255.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	292630