Old 08-28-2013, 06:28 PM
Senior Chief

Default 15" or 16" wheels with factory dog dish hubcaps

Hello,

I'm still a ways off from purchasing wheels and tires for the '64 Grand Prix I'm restoring, but I have a wheel/hubcap question. I really like the factory steel wheels and dog dish hubcap look, but I will need to use at least 15" wheels in order to clear the disc brakes I added to the front of the car. I'd like to even use 16" wheels if I can as the tire selection is better.

Does anyone know if I can use 15" or 16" OEM-looking steel wheels purchased from a place like Coker Tire or Wheel Vintiques along with original or reproduction early to mid 60s dog dish Pontiac hubcaps will work on my '64 (5x5 bolt pattern)? Do the clips match from the early dog dish hubcaps to the repro 15" or 16" wheels?

I'm sure I could use a later model 15" steel wheel (i.e. '77 to '90 Chevy Imapala/Caprice) with the Pontiac dog dish hubcaps from the 70s/early 80s, but I really like the look of the early hubcaps. I've also seen some who purchase steel wheels from Coker or Wheel Vintiques, but use the generic "smoothie" hubcap...I'd like to have the 15" or 16" wheels I use fit the Pontiac hubcaps though.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Old 08-28-2013, 08:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

AZ64GP, if the center has the 'bumps' that retain the cap, then the '64+ caps you see on GTOs may fit.

If the wheel center doesn't have the appearance of the '61-'64 big cars (3 slots for the cap-retaining clipsand no bumps around the intermediate rib), then I doubt it.

I have been told that places like Stockton wheel out in California will mill off the hoop from a wheel like this and weld it into a larger-diameter hoop...price? no idea.

...but if the generous (yeah right) availability of decent 14" hides continues on the path it's on, I may be a customer and will be able to tell how much!

Old 08-28-2013, 10:31 PM

AZ64GP, check with a fellow forum member and friend "Huddie". He has a 62 Catalina and used astro van 15" steel wheels with the "bumps". Dog dish caps from the Canadian line of Pontiacs will mount to those wheels. (Good luck finding, although I have seen them in the past for sale on Ebay) He has disk brakes on his 62 as well. I believe Scarebirds.

Old 03-21-2024, 10:04 PM

Dog-dish or poverty hub caps need the trio of metal clips on Tempest Y-body too; I can't find any for my '61 V-8 coupe. I think that they're the same as big Pontiac. Now, the A-bodied Tempests were basically Chevelles under the skin, so the Chevy wheels are totally different. Likewise, I seem to recall that Buick used something similar, perhaps Olds. Big Olds and Pontiac shared a lot of rear=axle components, after all. I think they were srping steel -- I bought a set of baby moons for my folks new '62 Catalina, and the came with a dozen gray steel clippies that pressed into the wheel slots (hammer and big screw-drive to make 'em work; not at all like my Chevy or Ford, which snapped onto the famous 'bumps. Any ideas?