Old 04-04-2000, 01:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The previous string about '71 T/A wheels reminded me of a long running discussion I've had with other early T/A owner's. "What is a KN coded 15x7 Rally II wheel?" It is identical to JW & KR wheel. I have been told it is service replacement, but do not believe that, as ones I've had were all dated 8/23/0. My belief is that they were stamped 8/23/70, maybe for 15" GTO hardtop applications, but plant decided to go with one code-KR for 15x7 Rally II applications for '71 & then '72. The first ones I came across were found in early '80's & had enough deteriation & rust that there is no way the outer rims were stamped up in 1980. I found these in west Texas, not much rust. Everyone of these I've found since then has had same date. The factory parts books all the way back to '72 printings are of no help (they are real pathetic source on all wheel codes though). Would be great to hear from anyone who ordered replacements for the JW's & KR's over the counter in the late '70's or early 80's to figure out what they got. Thanks...

Old 04-04-2000, 01:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The previous string about '71 T/A wheels reminded me of a long running discussion I've had with other early T/A owner's. "What is a KN coded 15x7 Rally II wheel?" It is identical to JW & KR wheel. I have been told it is service replacement, but do not believe that, as ones I've had were all dated 8/23/0. My belief is that they were stamped 8/23/70, maybe for 15" GTO hardtop applications, but plant decided to go with one code-KR for 15x7 Rally II applications for '71 & then '72. The first ones I came across were found in early '80's & had enough deteriation & rust that there is no way the outer rims were stamped up in 1980. I found these in west Texas, not much rust. Everyone of these I've found since then has had same date. The factory parts books all the way back to '72 printings are of no help (they are real pathetic source on all wheel codes though). Would be great to hear from anyone who ordered replacements for the JW's & KR's over the counter in the late '70's or early 80's to figure out what they got. Thanks...

Old 04-04-2000, 09:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have a KN coded wheel that came from the trunk of a 1971 TA. This Trans Am was built at Van Nuys in December of 1970. The wheel has a tire mounted on it, so I can't check the date code. It does look as if it had a trim ring on it at one time as there is one set of scratches. I have no doubt from the condition of the wheel that it is original for the car.

1971 Trans Am 455HO M22; Cameo White / Blue
1971 GTO Convertible 455 M40; Starlight Black / Black
Old 04-05-2000, 03:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Chief, Glad to here that, I believe it is original, too. With UAW strike taking place from Sept 13? 1970 till mid to late November, I bet that spare has an early date, possibly 8/23/70. Similiar situation to the H280, H300, & H310 455HO blocks being used in late Nov & December '70 built cars. Have always thought it odd that glove box door has a little KN on tire application decal, yet everybody is hunting JW's or KR's for their early '71 T/A's.