Old 12-01-2019, 12:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by "QUICK-SILVER" View Post
This member posted about running the olds pistons.

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...t=Olds+pistons

Clay
THANKS for posting that ! Looks like I ask some questions in that thread. Gonna go thru it again & see what info is revealed about the Olds pistons.

He mentioned that the pistons had a huge dish. He was right. Just lookin at the pic, the dish appears to be somewhere near 1/2" deep. WOW ! Think I may have made a positive ID on those pistons. They appear to be 1630 Silv-o-Lite pistons, with a .320 deep dish. Not positive.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/u...ake/oldsmobile

And, the 400 engine had 4X heads on it. A 4X head 400 definitely does NOT need dish pistons. Small domes would probably run lots better than a deep dish. He switched to #16 heads, and bought pistons with a smaller dish.

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...4&postcount=19

At this point in the thread, he thought the pistons were forged.

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...7&postcount=32

This post said that the Olds pistons were used because the dish provided the right cc. Said they cost $340, which would be OK for forged pistons, but NOT cast. Said the stock rods needed to have the small end narrowed slightly, which was no problem. That brings up the question, exactly what width small end do the Olds pistons require ? Or, how much does a stock Pontiac rod small end need to be narrowed, to work with Olds 455 pistons ?

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...7&postcount=35

He thought the pistons might be the SP cast version. Couldn't remember.

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...7&postcount=36

The pistons were the cast version, & the cam was a 703 Voodoo, which has over .500 exhaust lift. So, there was no valve to piston clearance problem.

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...8&postcount=65

This post says it was "powerful" & chirped the tires when shifting. And that was BEFORE making LOTS of tuning changes.

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...5&postcount=63

Not much was said after the tuning changes were made. The thread just ends. Does anybody know how this engine has done & is doing now ?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Huge Dish .jpg
Views:	148
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	525794   Click image for larger version

Name:	Olds Cast 455 Pistons.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	77.5 KB
ID:	525795  

Last edited by ponyakr; 12-01-2019 at 12:42 AM.
Old 12-01-2019, 12:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If I understood that thread correctly, Paul Carter was at least overseeing the build, & did at least some of the machine work.

SO, I suppose that means Paul Carter is OK with using cast 455 Olds pistons, in 400 Pontiac street builds. And they were shooting for 400 hp. Anybody know if they made it, or if it was ever put on the dyno ?

The 369P pistons have a dish that measures 2.94 x .120 deep. For you guys who know how to figure it, what is the aprox cc volume of that dish ?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...ake/oldsmobile

The SP forged L2323F has an 18ccc dish, which is .142 deep, and has a .010 larger pin height, at 1.735.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...ake/oldsmobile

Just looked up the specs on Eagle H-beams, for Pontiac & Olds 455. The width of the pin end is 1.125, for both rods. Since it was mentioned the the cast Pontiac rod's pin end had to be narrowed slightly, I'll ask again: What is the width of the pin end of a cast Pontiac rod ? Anybody know ?

"...The stock rods were used but there was one problem. The rod was too wide for the piston so it had to be ground down to fit. It was no problem..."

I remember reading that cast rods may not fit the Auto Tec pistons.

"...* These piston are designed around aftermarket rods. Narrowing the small end of factory rods may be required..."

So, what is the machine shop price for reducing the width of the pin end of the rod ? OR, can this just be done at home, with some sort of sander or grinder ?

Last edited by ponyakr; 12-01-2019 at 01:35 AM.
Old 12-01-2019, 02:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Plugged some numbers into the Wallace CR calculator.

http://www.wallaceracing.com/cr_test2.php

There are several combos that will produce between 9:1 & 9.5 CR, using 455 Olds pistons, and 72 to 80cc heads.

With 72cc heads it's pretty easy to get 9.75 CR, with #1016 head gaskets, if you want that much.

With all this info, I really don't see why anybody would argue that it's best to go with those lousy 8-eyebrow pistons. But, opinions differ.

I've seen it posted, but forgot. Including the outside bevel, what is the cc volume of the reliefs in those pistons ? This Summit listing calls it 15cc.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...np30/overview/

And, since they only have a 1.700 pin height, a lot of deck machining would be required to get near zero deck height. That would increase the total price of using them. So, other than the initial purchase price, what advantages do these pistons offer ?

Old 12-01-2019, 04:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've seen a lot of failed Pontiac cast pistons on teardown. Largest failure point was the skirts but a lot of ring lands gone also. Have seen a few dropped valves on both cast and forged pistons. Forged pistons were really beat up and abused where they were trash, but cast pistons dissolved and rod grooved and usually broke the cylinder wall.

I've seen a lot of stock Pontiac deck heights coming in at .008" to .010" and not the more inflated figures many times quoted. That would put the Olds piston .010" to .012" above deck.

Attached photos shows pistons out of a 1968 GTO Convertible that didn't show signs of being abused. 2.96 Rear with auto and A/C. First photo is either #4 or #6 with the missing piece of skirt. second photo is the side of #7 showing the missing section that ended up in the bottom of the pan, and the third photo is the top of #7 with showing no clue of the damage before we pulled the piston. Reason for the teardown was while the engine ran fine there was no compression on that cylinder.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Piston and worn cam lobe.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	525801   Click image for larger version

Name:	Piston and ring damage.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	525802   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top of #7.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	525803  

Old 12-01-2019, 07:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry, I should have been more clear, my comment on the 366 hp level and the factory usage of Forged pistions was in regards to the 68 1/2 RAII motor, not the RAIII.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 12-01-2019, 09:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
Sorry, I should have been more clear, my comment on the 366 hp level and the factory usage of Forged pistions was in regards to the 68 1/2 RAII motor, not the RAIII.
So, in 400's, they were only used in the round port engines. Is that correct ?

Don't think they were used in any 350, 428, D-port 455, or even the 455HO round port engines.

IMO, quite a few Pontiac engines should have had forged rods & pistons. Didn't happen.

Old 12-01-2019, 09:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"...I've seen a lot of stock Pontiac deck heights coming in at .008" to .010" and not the more inflated figures many times quoted. That would put the Olds piston .010" to .012" above deck..."

I find that VERY interesting !

MOST of the numbers used on this forum were in the .020's.

So, that makes me wonder why your findings are so low, while others' findings are so high.

Using your .008 to .010 numbers, means that without cutting ANY off the virgin decks, you could only use pistons which have a max, of .008 to .010 more pin height, without pushing the piston out of the hole.

Many replacement pistons have a 1.700 pin height. The SP L2262F pistons have a 1.714 pin height. Many Icons, & others have a 1.720 pin height. But, I have not read that most Icon pistons stick out of the hole.

Therefore, I have to ask again: What was the pin height of Pontiac factory cast 400 pistons ??? I know this has been posted before. But I'd like to hear it again, from those who have ACTUALLY measured lots of 'em, to determine their pin height.

Seems to me that this is one spec we should be able to nail down precisely, once & for all. UNLESS, the pin height of cast 400 pistons changed, at some point.

So, who has a good original factory 400 cast piston they can measure, or have measured, who can post the ACTUAL pin height ?

I assume a 350 piston would have the same pin height, as a cast 400 piston, since the rod length & stroke is the same. ?

"...That would put the Olds piston .010" to .012" above deck..."

The cast Olds piston has a 1.725 pin height. So, if that would put the piston above the deck, then the Icons, at 1.720 pin height, would also be above the deck. So, are most Icon pistons above the deck ?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/slp-369p30/

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/u...-030/overview/

Assuming the Olds piston needed .010-.020 cut off the top, what would that cost ? The cast piston has a .120 deep dish, & the forged piston has a .142 deep dish, & .010 more pin height.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/slp-l2323f30/

Nothing was said about the Olds pistons sticking out of the holes, on the engine build sited earlier in this thread. Anybody know how much had been cut off the deck, if any, & how much was cut off the piston tops, if any. Doesn't mention the deck height, as I remember. ?

Last edited by ponyakr; 12-01-2019 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-01-2019, 02:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OK, I contacted the engine owner.

He said that the pistons were near zero deck, and not above the deck. Also said there was some material removed from the block deck. So, that would make me think that the cast 455 Olds pistons fit just fine.

Now, since the L2323F forged pistons have a .010 larger pin height, that will raise the piston top .010 higher. But, they still should work, unless the block deck has been cut down a lot. From what I've read, if they are above the deck .005, it don't hurt a thing. Lots of engines have been built with pistons above the deck.

Old 12-01-2019, 04:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Some of these questions may seem repetitive. And they ARE. But, I wanna get all the facts right, before I pass any info along to others.

(1) If say .005 or .010 would need to come off the piston tops, what would be the machine shop cost to remove that much from these L2323F pistons ?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/slp-l2323f30/

(2) What is the pin height of a factory cast 400 piston ?

(3) Is 10.240 the correct number for the distance from the centerline of the crank main journal, to the block deck, of a factory assembled 400 Pontiac block ?

(4) OR, did that number frequently vary, depending on needed block machining ? This is for average 400 engines, NOT necessarily the higher hp engines.

(5) What is the width of the pin end of a cast Pontiac rod ?

(6) How much would it cost to have the pin end width reduced enuff to fit an Olds 455 piston ?

Anybody have the correct answer to any or all these questions ?

Old 12-01-2019, 07:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nobody here has the answer to any of the questions I asked ?

A guy on FB posted this:

"...Every flattop piston I have come across was actually ~ 1.710 pin height..."

So, anybody here also have any factory 400 cast pistons that have a 1.710 pin height ?

Thought I remembered reading here that somebody said he thought the factory pin height was in the 1.720's. Gonna do a search & try to find that info.

Last edited by ponyakr; 12-01-2019 at 07:37 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 02:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The last gen 400s had a 1.72ish compression height. I have original std pistons from last gen 400s, 350s, 389s and 455s. I don’t think I ever measured the 389s or the 350s. FWIW, the OEM 455 cast pistons (1972) are 1.502-1.503. I am missing a oem set of 8vrs, and the oem RA 4 (forged), cast RA3 and the OEM std early 400pistons , which were all different. IRC, the RA3 &RA 4 were the tallest of those and had a fair sized bevel on the outside, I think they may have been 1.72 also. Pretty sure the std 400s were shorter and may have been 1.71 like the facebook comment Sorry, I never took time to check the earlier 400s. I think it is correct that all the Aftermarket cast flat tops run 1.71. Some may even be 1.7. I have some aftermarket 8VR that are 1.7, which is a pretty common pistons in std rebuilds. I usually figure 10.235 for uncut deck height for 70s engines. 10.24 for older engines. IRC 10.25 is about the tallest I have measured.

With in my own family we have 5 cars with 455 Olds in them. I think every singe one has cast pistons. Never had and issue with a piston on any of them.

The pin dia on the Olds 455 is .981. Only .001 bigger than a Pontiac. The Olds 455 piston is going to be a little heavier than the Pontiac 400 piston. I would have to look it up. Seems like it is roughly 60 grams heavier, but run a lighter pin.

Just in general I think the skirt is the weakest area. Most common failure I have seen has been breaking the skirts on cast pistons across brands. Below 400 hp I don’t think I would worry about it though. I would certainly take a hard look at using those Olds cast pistons over an 8VR cast piston in anything performance oriented with small chamber heads.

Most of the cheaper head gaskets run .045 thick. Should have plenty of room on the quench on a untouched std ht block.

Last edited by Jay S; 12-02-2019 at 03:08 AM. Reason: Error
Old 12-02-2019, 03:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Pontiac changed the deck height call-out a few times over the years. Don't know why or if the machining actually changed or not. The 10.240" is as good of starting point as any other. If there has been a line bore or decking on the block all bets are off so deck height pretty much has to be measured every time before spending any money on pistons. Last two engines with original deck heights measured out at 10.235 and 10.238. The block just before these measured 10.227 so there was decking sometime in its existence, but couldn't tell until it was measured out because there was enough pitting and such that it looked original.

Old 12-02-2019, 06:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would say that the OEM cast pistons Pontiac used (50 yrs ago) in their production engines were of a good quality since they had to warranty these engines. In todays world of Chinese aftermarket junk the very last thing I would consider would be ebay pistons of unknown quality or service history. Sometimes you spend a whole lot of money trying to save a dollar or two.

Old 12-02-2019, 08:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"...last gen 400s had a 1.72ish compression height..."

Sorry, but I have no idea what you mean by a "last gen" 400.

'60's Birds were called 1st gen, & '70 thru '81 Birds were called 2nd gens.

As we all know, Pontiac 400's were used in '67 thru '79 year model cars.

So, how many gens of 400 engines were there, & what was the breakdown between gens ?

Don't wanna consider the forged pistons used in the round port 400's. Have read that those were supplied to GM by TRW. Completely different piston form the cast 400 pistons.

But, I'm assuming, by what was posted, that the design(exact specs) of the 400 cast pistons changed, at least once, & maybe twice or more, during the entire 400 engine run.

Or, saying it another way, a 1967 model 400 piston may have had completely different specs than a 1979 model 400 piston. And, between those years, there may have been one or more years that 400 pistons had different specs than either the '67 or '79 400 pistons.

So, if this is true, who knows exactly how many different specs were used for cast 400 Pontiac pistons ? Did each different type have different GM part numbers ? That may offer a clue. How many different GM part numbers were used for cast 400 pistons ?

BY the way, Paul Carter could answer many of the questions I've asked here. I sent him a PM, with no answer yet. So, he may be too busy to respond. I understand that. There are probably quite a few long time Pontiac engine builders who have all the answers I'm asking for. But, busy engine builders don't have time to answer forum trivia questions. I understand that.

But, maybe if I keep asking here, there will be some, among the thousands of members, who can help me get all or at least most of the answers.

I'll go ahead & ask an easy one here. I know there are probably LOTS of guys here who have the measuring instruments & the skill to measure the width of the small end of a cast Pontiac rod. And most of these guys probably have some cast rods laying around. So, what is the exact width of the pin end of a Pontiac cast rod, which was used in most Pontiac V8 engines in the late '60's thru the mid '70's.

Eagle H-beams for both Pontiac & Olds are listed as 1.125. The owner of the Olds piston 400 said that the cast rods were too wide to fit the Olds pistons. So, that means that the pin end must be at least slightly wider than 1.125.

Old 12-02-2019, 11:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I guess I consider anything after 75 to be the last generation 400. 4x and 6x engines with the lighter crank counterbalances. Counting the 8VR pistons and going off old NHRA pistons replacements there were probably 4 different cast OEM pistons ran in 400s. Could be more, that is all I have seen.

Old 12-02-2019, 11:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"...guess I consider anything after 75 to be the last generation 400. 4x and 6x engines with the lighter crank counterbalances..."

4X heads were 1st used on '73 year model engines. So, you think that maybe '72 & older 400 engines used different spec pistons than any '73-up 400 engine ?

Did any of the later 400 pistons have a bevel around the outer edge, similar to the 8VR pistons ?

Just found this. I suppose it answers that question.

"... For the 1975 model year Pontiac took the normal flat-top piston and knocked off the outside edge, thus "chamfering" them to increase the end volume and drop the compression ration from the 8.0:1 in the 1974 model year to 7.6:1 for use with unleaded gasoline, new in 1975 due to the catalytic converter. So they are "flat top" but the outside edge has been "chamfered". I have pics of identical pieces out of the bone-stock 75 engine that came in my car..."

A pic of these pistons was posted. But it was from Photo bucket, therefore no longer usable. So, anybody have a good pic of one of these pistons you could post, clearly showing the bevel or "chamfer" ?

I know the 350 engines switched over to no valve relief pistons, in about '74. Did all 400 pistons have valve reliefs ? Sorry for that question, but I don't remember ever seeing inside a late '70's 400. Saw lots of late '60's & early '70's 400's. Then I switched over to 455's, & never bought any later model 400's, that I remember.

Below are pics of a cast factory piston & a modern Speed Pro forged piston. The cast piston has no beveled edge, so I assume it's a '72 or older 400 piston. It looks like all the 400 factory pistons I ever saw.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	400 Cast Piston .jpg
Views:	127
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	525887   Click image for larger version

Name:	Factory vs SP .jpg
Views:	153
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	525888  

Last edited by ponyakr; 12-02-2019 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 12:28 PM
Senior Chief

Being an Olds guy at heart, beating on 455s and such for 30 years - there are two factory dish configurations, the higher compression, factory rated 10.5 to 1 have a 5/32 deep dish. The low compression 8.5:1 piston has a 5/16 dish - these are generalized approximations. No matter which of them you run, they will crack. Lots of cracks, up to 4 per piston. Thats 56-5800rpm, pass after pass on a balanced bottom end with resized rods and ARP bolts. So you step up to the L2323F TRW piston, which is a popular forged version of the higher compression piston, but it is very heavy - and falling out of favor to newer, lighter designs that don't cost substantially more. The combination of a not-great rod, and the heavy TRW piston often makes the big end of the rod egg-shaped over time - to where the rod caps are hard to get off.

For a stock type street engine, either are probably ok. But at the edge of their performance envelope, they are both liabilities.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 12-02-2019, 12:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This ad shows a piston which it calls a '67 thru '70 4BC piston. Even shows a part # of 9788371.

http://www.2040-parts.com/67-68-70-p...8371-i2114753/

Don't know if that means the 400 pistons changed for the '71 model year, or not.

Old 12-02-2019, 12:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Anonymous View Post
Being an Olds guy at heart, beating on 455s and such for 30 years - there are two factory dish configurations, the higher compression, factory rated 10.5 to 1 have a 5/32 deep dish. The low compression 8.5:1 piston has a 5/16 dish - these are generalized approximations. No matter which of them you run, they will crack. Lots of cracks, up to 4 per piston. Thats 56-5800rpm, pass after pass on a balanced bottom end with resized rods and ARP bolts. So you step up to the L2323F TRW piston, which is a popular forged version of the higher compression piston, but it is very heavy - and falling out of favor to newer, lighter designs that don't cost substantially more. The combination of a not-great rod, and the heavy TRW piston often makes the big end of the rod egg-shaped over time - to where the rod caps are hard to get off.

For a stock type street engine, either are probably ok. But at the edge of their performance envelope, they are both liabilities.
So, with all this in mind, would you say that some lighter, stronger 760g H-beam rods and the L2323F forged pistons should make a very strong bottom end, easily very safe to 6000 rpm, with the 400's 3.75" stroke ?

Right now, the RPM 6.625 Pontiac H-beams are still $400 shipped, no tax.

http://www.racingpartsmaximum.com/sa...elhbeam-2.html

So, that makes forged rods & pistons less than $750.

Yes, we all know that lighter pistons are better. But, those also cost hundreds more. The low buck guys can buy their cam & lifters on the savings from NOT buying the high dollar pistons.

The high dollar guys can buy custom Ross pistons, high dollar rods, roller cam, alum heads, etc. But talkin about all that serves no purpose on this thread. I'm trying to help the lower budget guys. Telling them to just save up til they can afford higher cost parts is not my purpose here.

Last edited by ponyakr; 12-02-2019 at 01:05 PM.
Old 12-02-2019, 01:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Getting back to deck height, here's what SRP pistons thinks about it. Had a friend not notice their stated deck height (and resulting pin location) and pistons ended up way down in the hole. He couldn't return the pistons so he had to cut the block. SRP piston page