Old 12-07-2019, 11:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Just add a small bottle at the oil change. Then you know what you have in it.
$8 at the swaps.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 12-07-2019, 11:28 AM
Senior Chief

A problem I've had with 15w 40, not related to wear! Now this is with a amc engine not a Pontiac, but it still applies. Now this usually only happens in cooler weather, but it happens. Last week I was mailing bills and ran out of stamps, looked at time and post office closed in 10 min. I jumped in my car and aggressively drove to the post office. Leaving a stop sign I turned left hard after a roll through and my oil light came on. The oil was cold and thick and had lingered in top of engine , not draining down fast enough, and slid away from the oil pickup. Its happened more than once, on a cold engine. I usually always warm up before aggressive driving, and never a oil light on.

I call it a rat sleeper.
Old 12-07-2019, 04:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I run Redline and use the weight they recommended given my clearances. For me, it's their 10W-40.

During the winter, my car doesn't move after fire-up until the temp gauge does!

Old 12-07-2019, 04:46 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455rebel View Post
A problem I've had with 15w 40, not related to wear! Now this is with a amc engine not a Pontiac, but it still applies. Now this usually only happens in cooler weather, but it happens. Last week I was mailing bills and ran out of stamps, looked at time and post office closed in 10 min. I jumped in my car and aggressively drove to the post office. Leaving a stop sign I turned left hard after a roll through and my oil light came on. The oil was cold and thick and had lingered in top of engine , not draining down fast enough, and slid away from the oil pickup. Its happened more than once, on a cold engine. I usually always warm up before aggressive driving, and never a oil light on.
I have purchased 15W40 High ZDDP oil for many years now and never had an issue with the oil in my 455 engine in the 64 GTO. Course I always put heat into the engine and it was never used as a dual transportation type vehicle like what you describe.

Personally I would say you have it figured out that the thicker oils need a proper warm-up prior to driving them.

I really like that 1350 ZDDP number for the solid lifter camshafts i have run over the many years. $8 for a can of additives each oil change???? I will stick with what I have that I know works for MY application.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 12-07-2019, 07:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

VR-1 having high levels of Zinc and Phosphorus doesn't seem like a huge financial stress vs other oils. If you're not a roller cam then running with low zinc and phosphorus is risk I wouldn't be ok with (I only run rollers). Many complained about lobes in cars like ours with the crap 2000s oil due to emissions reductions in those 2 categories.

Engineers suggest the bearings need around a 10 in viscosity. This number is much easier to obtain when you're using....

An OIL COOLER.

Oil cooler with whatever oil or higher Z and Ph and no cooler seem like safer bets. I'm cooler and VR-1, not a big budget killer looking term and now only blows up from my right foot. LOL

11.7:1, KRE H Ports, Lunati HR 282/290 w Johnson Lifters & 1.65 Scorp, E30, EFI, Holley HP + Dual Sync, 12-1 Crank Trig, 120lb Inj & 1000cfm TB, Torker II EFI Intake & Rails, PTC 10" 0 Stat, Ricks Hot Rod SS Gas Tank, Magna 4303, Aerom EFI Reg, Aerospace Front & Rear Disc Brakes, Dougs 1 7/8" Headers & Borla Pro XS 3" Muffs, Alum Rad & Dual Fans, Powersteering.com Pump & 12:1 Box, QA1 Front Arms & Viking Berz CO + Rear Shocks, Hella UP28 Vac Pump