WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 11-20-2019, 01:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default PURCHASED A 2004 GTO AND LOVE IT

I thought I would post this here. I purchased a 2004 GTO 6-speed Yellow Jacket from a co-workers 81 y/o father that had bought the car new. He is not able to drive the car anymore. The car has 87,000 miles and is completely stock. No modification at all. The car is an absolute dream to drive. I wasn't looking to buy this car, but she knew I was a Pontiac car guy and her dad wanted the car to go to someone that would take care of it. Other than a repair needed on the front nose and back seat headrest stitching, the car in perfect. It almost seems like a waste to modify the car. I would like to put some 18" wheels on it and then most likely leave it alone. I turn the radio down because it sounds so good. I always liked the GTO, and said if I was going to buy one, it would be the yellow one. The car is solid, no rattles. The build quality is impressive. I know a lot of people tend to downgrade the 2004 because of the flat hood, single exit exhaust and 5.7 vs 6.0, but I really don't like the scooped hood much and the single side exhaust actually looks good to me. I do like the '06 tail lights though. I lucked out on this car and the price paid.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191020_175453.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	79.5 KB
ID:	524940   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191020_175521.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	524941   Click image for larger version

Name:	20191020_173510.jpg
Views:	424
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	524942  
1973 Pontiac Grand Am ERL built 430 CI LS7, Brodix STS BR7 heads, Magnum T-56 6-speed, Modulare 19" wheels, QA1/Global West/Speedtech suspension, Wilwood 6/4 piston brakes. BMW Donnington Gray paint. All wrapped up in a Hurst Pontiac tribute theme.
Old 11-20-2019, 02:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You should flip it right away! (I’ll send you my address and phone # lol)
Old 11-20-2019, 03:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought my 05 new in Feb 2006, also yellowjacket with the 4l60E. 140,000 on it currently, and it's my favorite car to drive. After 13 years it still puts a smile on my face. They are great cars, too bad there were so many detractors when they were new. I believe that some of the sceptics have been won over since the cars were new.

Mine is also completely stock, when I'm asked why I haven't modified it, my answer is, "With 400 HP, do I really need another 20-30 HP?"

I also have issues with the leather seat covers splitting on the seams, I plan on buying new covers for it soon.

As with any mass produced car there are some common minor problems, nothing that would make me think about getting rid of it though.
1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2019, 03:42 PM

Looks to be in great shape. Doing the math, the previous owner was 66 years old when he bought it...I'm guessing it was a retirement present to himself. I like that he got it with a manual transmission.
Old 11-20-2019, 03:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had a 2004 also - the 5.7 to me was a better match as it was significantly less thirsty than the 6.0 that followed. Only issue to me was the lack of a folding rear seat - hockey sticks had to be up front.
Old 11-20-2019, 04:17 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default GTO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nytrainer View Post
You should flip it right away! (I’ll send you my address and phone # lol)
I thought about it but there's no way I will find another one owner unmodified GTO like this for the price I paid. I'm checking off the "once in a lifetime" box and keeping it.
1973 Pontiac Grand Am ERL built 430 CI LS7, Brodix STS BR7 heads, Magnum T-56 6-speed, Modulare 19" wheels, QA1/Global West/Speedtech suspension, Wilwood 6/4 piston brakes. BMW Donnington Gray paint. All wrapped up in a Hurst Pontiac tribute theme.
Old 11-20-2019, 04:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

congrats!

I liked the '04 - and it's underplayed appearance - it seemed to me that many might have mistook it for a Grand Prix - which made it a bit of a sleeper
Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 11-27-2019, 11:42 PM

Congrats, and enjoy the car!
1967 Firebird 400 4 speed project
1969 Verdoro green GTO (daily)
Old 12-05-2019, 12:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
I bought my 05 new in Feb 2006, also yellowjacket with the 4l60E. 140,000 on it currently, and it's my favorite car to drive. After 13 years it still puts a smile on my face. They are great cars, too bad there were so many detractors when they were new. I believe that some of the sceptics have been won over since the cars were new.

Mine is also completely stock, when I'm asked why I haven't modified it, my answer is, "With 400 HP, do I really need another 20-30 HP?"

I also have issues with the leather seat covers splitting on the seams, I plan on buying new covers for it soon.

As with any mass produced car there are some common minor problems, nothing that would make me think about getting rid of it though.
There is ALWAYS a need for 20-30 more HP!

As far as the split seams on the seats, this is an easy DIY repair. The biggest issue is getting the seat cover off so you can sew the split back up. Not bad on the rear seats, they come out and come apart easily, a bit more work if the split is on the front seats. But it sure beats buying all new seat covers.
Old 12-05-2019, 03:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich-Tripower View Post
There is ALWAYS a need for 20-30 more HP!

As far as the split seams on the seats, this is an easy DIY repair. The biggest issue is getting the seat cover off so you can sew the split back up. Not bad on the rear seats, they come out and come apart easily, a bit more work if the split is on the front seats. But it sure beats buying all new seat covers.
The drivers seat leather is ripped from shrinkage of the leather, no repair to be made with the material being ripped. The rear is likely salvageable, the cover on the rear was already replaced under warranty. My car has 140,000 miles on it so the only time it is sitting is when there is salt on the roads. IMO seat covers are wear items so it doesn't surprise me the drivers seat is worn and needs replaced.

Had I taken more pains to keep the leather from shrinking (conditioning) the seams probably would have held up better.
1984 Grand Prix

Old 02-01-2020, 09:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was never really that interested in these cars but fell in love with a Midnight Blue Matallic one on a lot back in 2007. Well, came across a well taken care MBM car last fall for cheap so I thought what the heck. Although it came with 17” wheels it is an 18” wheel automatic car which makes it 1 of 44! I added a Borla Catback and a used KN CAI and old Predator tune and it is fun as hell to drive. It makes a great highway commuter as well.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	610A5CB6-20CB-4FEC-9942-4D749E8534A0.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	530754  
Old 02-01-2020, 12:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here are a few pics of my 05, car still brings a smile to my face....................

1984 Grand Prix

Old 03-01-2020, 02:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Upgrading the GTO

After having the car now for about 8 months I decided to make some improvements. I purchased a 2006 rear bumper and lower valance to convert to the dual exit exhaust. Now I am trying to decide what exhaust to go with. I like the SLP Loudmouth II. Seems quieter than the original version. Also like the Corsa Touring but very expensive. Also will be buying wheels and tires. Really like the Avante Garde M520-R. I would also like to do a larger brake kit up front but not a 6 piston, that's overkill. I think Wilwood has a 4 piston set up and maybe a rear upgrade as well. Since this will not be a daily driver, I will probably do a cam, heads and MSD intake and headers on the 5.7. Not going overboard. I will keep it smog legal (live in CA). Cam Motion has a nice cam .595 lift, 218/224 on a 115, MSD Atomic is smog legal, JBA shorty headers are smog legal, and since I know some people at WCCH I would like to do a mild port job on the 241's or swap to a set of 243's. This will maybe get me to around 380 rwhp. This is a really nice car that I'm not turning into a race car. Open to opinions and suggestions. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	M520R-Tinted-Gunmetal.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	69.3 KB
ID:	533413  
Old 03-01-2020, 09:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by stobin View Post
After having the car now for about 8 months I decided to make some improvements. I purchased a 2006 rear bumper and lower valance to convert to the dual exit exhaust. Now I am trying to decide what exhaust to go with. I like the SLP Loudmouth II. Seems quieter than the original version. Also like the Corsa Touring but very expensive. Also will be buying wheels and tires. Really like the Avante Garde M520-R. I would also like to do a larger brake kit up front but not a 6 piston, that's overkill. I think Wilwood has a 4 piston set up and maybe a rear upgrade as well. Since this will not be a daily driver, I will probably do a cam, heads and MSD intake and headers on the 5.7. Not going overboard. I will keep it smog legal (live in CA). Cam Motion has a nice cam .595 lift, 218/224 on a 115, MSD Atomic is smog legal, JBA shorty headers are smog legal, and since I know some people at WCCH I would like to do a mild port job on the 241's or swap to a set of 243's. This will maybe get me to around 380 rwhp. This is a really nice car that I'm not turning into a race car. Open to opinions and suggestions. Thanks
If you can find a 05-06 car they already have better calipers and rotors and just swap out on an 04. https://www.ls1gto.com/threads/04-to...ersion.327675/

Better breathing heads, whether you swap to an aftermarket head, or improve a GM head. I've also read that the LS3 heads are a good choice, not sure they work on an LS1, I do know they're good to swap on an LS2. Of course a better cam will complement the better heads as well as breathing on the exhaust side.

After the mods are complete, the next recommendation was a reprogram of the ECM on a dyno to get the most out of the new parts. From what I've read, without reprogramming the ECM you leave a bunch of power on the table with just swapping parts, and not altering the factory parameters. I have no idea if you can slide that by in CA though.

I've not modified my car at all, bone stock, just what I've picked up by reading about modifying a GTO over the years since I bought mine new in 06. At 67YO I'll probably just leave it as is, 400 HP at the flywheel is enough to get me in trouble in a street car

Good luck in whatever way you decide to go
1984 Grand Prix