Old 09-14-2020, 08:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default alt light stays on

have verified the alternator (new) is charging the battery no issues there but the alternator light stays on. new battery and alt.

I installed new speedhut gauges but retained the alternator light warning. what would be backfeeding power to the alt light? how to fix? thanks

Old 09-14-2020, 09:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What alt? 10SI?

george

Old 09-14-2020, 09:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

powermaster 12si pn 57293-104

Last edited by JUDGE3; 12-20-2023 at 10:58 AM.
Old 09-14-2020, 10:16 PM
Suspended

Did you bypass the Voltage Regulator from your charging system? - Not knowing what you did for wiring.

If you retained your Voltage Regulator, some have experienced issues by using an LED bulb for the Gen light. This doesn't seem to work as the original wiring with Voltage Regulator seems to need the resistance of the standard filament type bulb.

I don't know if this will work in your application, but others have found this to work and the Gen light will go out and work as it should.

Old 09-14-2020, 10:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Need to know: is this a direct replacement for what was already there? Is this an upgrade from a 10DN alt that had a mechanical regulator? If upgrade fro 10 DN, what wiring was changed?

George

Old 09-15-2020, 06:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds like you may have a blown fuse for the pink ignition hot wire going to the cluster.

That would make alternator terminal 1/field try to send power (through the ALT light) to components that the igntion switch is suppose to power.

Alternator charging, it takes two hot wires to make the ALT light stay off. Hot from ignition and hot from alternator terminal #1.

Alternator terminal #1 switches from ground to hot when the alternator is charging. Alternator not charging, terminal #1 provides the ground to turn on the ALT light.

Did you get that?
Clay

Old 09-15-2020, 12:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default weak link for me

thank you, all responses hit excellent points and all apply. ugh, wiring is my weakest link, I should have studied it more.

no external regulator. 1973 Firebird.

yes, with aftermarket gauges I wired in a separate LED alt light warning.

the powermaster high output alt requires running a bigger gauge wire down to the starter terminal so I did that.

wires at the alt install as a stock set up. at work right now, will look it over for more details later. if it matters, the light comes on right at start up, no delays.

always impresses me how you electrical folks know right where to start. really appreciate it.

Old 09-15-2020, 08:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

stock 2 wires on the side, the plastic connector was broke so I put new connectors on it.

the wires attached to the rear stud is the thicker gauge red going to starter terminal, the other is the stock 30amp fuse and pigtails off into the wire harness.

wired correctly?

Last edited by JUDGE3; 12-20-2023 at 10:58 AM.