Old 09-10-2020, 04:52 PM

It was great to read the replies in this thread. Brings back alot of memories. For me, I began to attend the Nationals in 1986, and have been able to attend about 28 of them. My best memories were back in the 90's , when Bill Hale and Jim Pedersen were still running the show. Our local car club in NJ was very active, and we would caravan out, no trailers. We had each other to help us if there was trouble, which did happen occasionally. Of the shows in the 90's, many of us would work at the show, mostly on the tech line, as we often knew more about the earlier cars than the local club members did. The first year Bruce Fulper attended the show and ran the drags, some members of the NJ Club took him to dinner Saturday night. In a social setting, he was great, we had a fun evening. In hearing about him in later, I came to understand that doing business with him was difficult.

As the years went by, our NJ club shrunk, by the end it was just 3 members. There were no more caravans, and while I still attended, I was traveling by myself, and the cars were getting older each year. So, I am now a trailer attendee. I was much happier driving the car, but the last time I drove it out, I did have some trouble, and I just can't let that happen again.

Like some here have mentioned, I am not really about entering the car in a show to get a $5 trophy. After 35 years, I have made some of the best friends of my life at this show. It is fantastic to get together with them each year. The Friday & Saturday night B.S. sessions in the parking lot are the best.

It did stink that the show was cancelled, but I believe that they had no choice. Attendance would be well below what is needed to be financially successful. For me, NJ would require that I self quarantine for 2 weeks upon returning from Ohio. That would be a deal breaker for me.

Anyhow, a couple of Sunday's ago, I decided to do something that I have been meaning to do for a few years now. I got to do my own mini car show by getting everything out of the garage and set them up for this picture. At least I got to attend 1 show this year.Regards to all, frank.g
Click image for larger version

Name:	thumbnail_IMG_20200621_112032.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	104.3 KB
ID:	549191

Old 09-10-2020, 05:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Very nice Frank! With all the imperfections we feel the TA Nat's has, I still enjoy it and glad it exists...and will keep attending as long as I possibly can. Yes, the evening parking lot bench racing sessions are priceless and are second to none, not to mention the beverages that Bentwheel Bob brought made for great memories (or rather the lack thereof, lol!).

Dennis

Old 09-10-2020, 07:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

thanks for sharing that Frank!
That looks like an enviable collection you have there!!

I hope no one took away from me being a big 'negative-nellie', I really feel that every Firebird fan owes it to themselves to attend at least one year of the TA Nats, regardless of location, or activities, it is quite unlike anything else.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 09-17-2020, 10:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dennis,
So glad you guys got out the cars and had some fun. I had so much fun at the NATs with all the gang and sure have missed being there since Beth was diagnosed. We are still fighting this damn cancer but it is taking a little bit of her away from me every day. I guess the last time I got to see everyone was at MCACN in 2018. I have driven the GTO and the Formula a few times to local shows but sure miss the longer trips. Hoping 2021 brings good health and some great reunions at some Pontiac shows..

BJ

Old 09-21-2020, 07:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey BJ!
So sorry to hear about Beth's health and she (and you) are in our prayers. Hang in there and stay strong for her. Yes, I hope 2021 will be a better year for everyone and please stay healthy! Our little cruise was fun and we're going on another one the first weekend of October (weather permitting) and will probably be the last one for the year, sad to say.

Take care! Dennis

Old 09-21-2020, 11:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The Dream raise was saved here by one of the political party’s, I did post it, it was taken down, so I never posted any pics. You can thank the staff who took it down.
So I’m not sure why this event would have been cancelled if it everything was held outdoors.
A guy that brought a huge amount of parts won’t be returning either, I spoke with him last week, he said people made ridiculous offers on his parts, so he’s out. I don’t think I’ll return as a vendor as well.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 09-21-2020, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I saw that post Burd, shame it was taken down.

There seems to be no consistency with these events, some cancelled, some aren't. We've had similar strange inconsistency here, with a few cancelled shows but many still occurring with a big show scheduled next weekend, Goodguys is scheduled as a go in November as well as Pontiac Heaven scheduled for Nov 1st at Wildhorse Pass, the dragstrip is open and running. Several smaller shows in between that are happening as well. Yet they cancelled Run to the Sun in Havasu in October. I'm seeing some of that inconsistency from town to town.
CamaroCon was cancelled at the Vegas dragstrip but the dragstrip is open with a full list of events on their schedule.

It seems there are some groups that either just don't want to deal with the extra precautions that are put in place, or the town they are in doesn't want it.
The Mustang cruise coming up in 2 weeks was originally cancelled because Prescott said NO, so he checked Prescott Valley and they said YES, so it's back on at a new location. Thankfully the organizers of this event are persistent and able to put something together. Strange times for sure.

It's cool that Dennis can get a group of guys together and make a cruise of their own.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE