Old 07-14-2020, 12:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Horn issues

My horn is not working. It was working previously but intermittently. I believe that the issue is with the horn bar and steering wheel. One strange thing that I've noticed: when it is working, it gives me a shock through the horn bar when it blows. Also, when it is working, it is very sensetive and a bump in the middle of a corner will set it off. I'm just wondering if anyone has had experience with issues at the wheel and possible solutions.

Old 07-14-2020, 02:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was just de-bugging my horns, and the shop manual has a very helpful guide for diagnosis and repairs. The sensitivity may have to do with your horn button (under the steering wheel.) you’ll probably need to go back there and take a look. Can’t help you with that - I’ve got a Chevy sport wheel on mine. (different horn button.)

Old 07-18-2020, 01:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Check to make sure your steering wheel metal is well grounded.

george

Old 07-19-2020, 11:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by george kujanski View Post
Check to make sure your steering wheel metal is well grounded.

george
When horn buttons start to bite the first thing I do is look for broke or missing grounds at the rag joint.

Clay

Old 07-31-2020, 11:57 AM
Senior Chief

You can easily test the horns first if you have a spare battery. Take the wire off the horn and attach a cable to a spare 12V battery and touch the copper tab the wire was originally attached to. If the horn is good it will sound as long as it is still attached to the car (grounded). This way you will know to start looking at your wheel/column

Old 08-08-2020, 09:40 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I finally was able to get my horn workng. I was thrown off, because the previous owner was thinking that it was the horn electrical circuit, and did all kinds of stupid things. I fixed all that and verified power to the little post that protrudes from the cancel cam. I noticed that the turn signal switch had been replaced. so the wheel had been pulled before. When reinstalling the wheel, I found that the problem all along was that the steering wheel wouldn't go down far enough onto the column to get the back of the horn switch to touch that little post from the cancel cam. I didn't want to reef on it too much, but got it down far enough that it works when I push the horn bar, but only in the center. That will have to do. We cleaned everythng really well and put a light coat of grease on the column shaft but that didn't do much. The chassis manual shows a gap of less than a sixteenth inch between the horn shroud and tha column body. We have at least a 3/16" gap.