Old 08-23-2020, 05:24 PM

Default 68 Ram Air pan seal

This seems like a dumb question to ask but I recently bought a new foam seal for the air cleaner. One side is light gray and the other is black like the rest of the seal. Doesn't say which side is bottom so I used weatherstrip adhesive to glue it on with the gray side down against air cleaner. I turned it upside down to keep pressure on seal while it dried. Picked it up later and foam was sticking to the surface it was laying on. So that made me wonder if when hood is closed on it, if when I lift hood, is seal going to stick to underside of it? If it does that then over time seal could pull off base. Surprised there was no package for seal and nothing about which is top or bottom. So is it light gray side up or down?

Old 08-24-2020, 02:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This is what destroyed one of these I bought from Ames. It stuck to the RA pan really bad. The heat from driving made it a lot worse. Seems to me the black spray paint they use on the foam is the problem.

The next one I got I also glued grey side down so it's all black up but this time I got the top of it wet with WD-40 where it meets the RA pan. Doesn't stick anymore.

I never could get any of the stuck-on foam off my RA pan though so that may be helping it not stock this time too. I'm going to need to remove the RA pan to strip it and repaint it.

Old 08-24-2020, 04:22 PM

I called Ames today and asked them which side is the bottom and he said he assumed it would be gray side down also. Said he didn't have any notes or any info on it. U would think there has to be a reason why one side is gray and the other black. Told the guy how I had set pan and seal upside down and how it stuck to the surface it was on. Like I told him, what's to keep it from sticking to the hood pan and coming off? I will try what u did with the wd40 and hope for the best. Seems like most of the parts these days are garbage.

The Following User Says Thank You to John O. For This Useful Post:
Old 08-24-2020, 09:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I got all my foam parts from Warpath Restorations. No multi-color foam and nothing has stuck to anything since I installed it 5 years ago. I don't see them on their parts list but you might give them a call.
http://www.warpath-parts.com/fr.htm#products/index.htm

Old 08-26-2020, 03:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The black is up. You probably also have a hard section where a straight strip was glued together to form the circle.
There is currently two sources of the seal and that is one kind.

Old 08-27-2020, 04:37 PM

Sprayed some wd 40 on a rag and wiped it on hood pan and also sprayed some on the top of the foam on carb pan. Drove it in 90 degree heat, so far so good.

The Following User Says Thank You to John O. For This Useful Post: