Old 09-06-2020, 05:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Having the oil full, or not, isn't going to make the rear main leak. The oil level is below the rear main when the engine is shut off. Splash and leakage from the rear main bearing is what leaks while the engine is running. The reason they made the ring around the crank near the rear main was to sling oil off the crank and keep it away from the seal. Wear, shrinkage, or inefficient installation is what makes a rear main leak, oil level has no bearing unless it's grossly over filled (4 quarts over filled could make it leak).

I take it you're using the short filter? Pontiac used the long filter when calculating the oil capacity so 1 quart as opposed to 1/2 quart for the short filter. The difference between full and a quart low is only about 5/8 of an inch, so the oil level is relatively close whether there is 5 or 6 quarts in the pan.

Things that will force oil out of a rear main are positive crankcase pressure such as poor ring seal, broken rings, or a plugged, or poorly functioning PCV system.

If you used the crank with the 45 degree hash marks in it with a viton seal the sharp edge of those hash marks will wear a neoprene seal prematurely. Using a crank intended for a rope seal without smoothing the hash marks even with the crank is a recipe for premature wear. Hopefully you did that while you were doing the install, or if you have a aftermarket crank, the hash marks normally weren't used.

The hash marks are cut to pull oil away from the rear main seal while the engine is rotating, but they were meant to be used with a rope seal.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 09-06-2020, 05:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Add is 1 quart low.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 09-06-2020, 05:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Since original motor I assume crank has marks.

All we did was install 2 piece seal and retorque caps. I haven’t replaced pcv but I’ll pick up one today. Has original air cleaner and the pipe connecting from valve cover to air cleaner.

I guess I’ll keep my fingers crossed it doesn’t leak.

Old 09-06-2020, 06:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If it starts leaking again you know you're in for more work as the crank has to come out of the engine to polish the hash marks off of it. Good luck. I know from experience that any Pontiac rear main isn't a piece of cake to do, been there done it.

I was fairly certain the instructions caution you about the hash marks, but maybe not.

1984 Grand Prix