Old 03-04-2021, 12:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If my memory serves me the brackets were deleted in the 1971 model year shortly before the studs on the bottoms of the aircleaners dissappeared.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 03-04-2021, 12:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by unruhjonny View Post
If my memory serves me the brackets were deleted in the 1971 model year shortly before the studs on the bottoms of the aircleaners dissappeared.
Thanks Jonny...I wonder if PMD decided the RA air cleaners were strong enough not to need them, thus phased out the stock, or did they 'beef' them up to not need the brackets...???...hmmm, just curious...

Dennis

Old 03-04-2021, 12:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I believe that the brackets and studs were created for 1970 when 49-state cars that used this aircleaner received a carburetor without the fuel bowl vent tube;
without that vent tube, there was nothing to 'clock' the aircleaner, and hold it in place. Once the vent tube was used across the board, the necessity for the brackets and studs was negated, but the parts were used in 1971 to essentially use up the excess parts.
I do believe I read all of this in one form or another on this forum.

When I first read of these parts, they were on the very top of my "must have" list, I believe I bought the brackets from Performance Years - they may be available again, but I am confident that they were NLA for a while.
I even went so far as to add the studs to my (SR/455HO) aircleaner!

2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 03-06-2021, 07:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So this weekend I went down to look through my stash of parts and found a 1970 T/A shaker base. It's not rusted at all, but the previous owner drilled about 1" holes all around the vertical wall and removed the snorkel. It still has the ears spot welded on.

What makes this air cleaner interesting is that it is a single snorkel and had the hole with the vent plug. Long ago I junked out a 1970 California T/A with most of the original engine. So wouldn't that hole have been plugged if it was a California car? I've junked out one Van Nuys built T/A and a Formula Ram III. I was surprised to find this base had the hole and plug.

Old 03-06-2021, 08:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

IIRC the 1970 Shaker bases on all 400 Trans Am's were of the Dual Snorkel variety.

Old 03-06-2021, 08:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Only the Ram IV cars.

Old 03-06-2021, 10:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 70' TA's

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
IIRC the 1970 Shaker bases on all 400 Trans Am's were of the Dual Snorkel variety.
Don't think that is correct. 70' RA III cars had a single snorkel base. 71' and 72's has the dual snorkel bases.

62' Lemans, Nostalgia Super Stock, 541 CI, IA2 block, billet 4.5" crank, Ross, Wide port Edelbrocks, Gustram intake, 2 4150 style BLP carbs, 2.10 Turbo 400, 9" w/4:30 gears, 8.76 @153, 3100lbs
The Following User Says Thank You to Gary H For This Useful Post:
Old 03-07-2021, 10:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My original Ram Air III T/A base has one snorkel. My '72 Formula 455HO with original Ram Air base does not have the studs or the brackets for what its worth...

1978 Black & Gold T/A [complete 70 Ram Air III (carb to pan) PQ and 12 bolt], fully loaded, deluxe, WS6, T-Top car - 1972 Formula 455HO Ram Air numbers matching Julep Green - 1971 T/A 455, 320 CFM Eheads, RP cam, Doug's headers, Fuel injection, TKX 5 Spd. 12 Bolt 3.73, 4 wheel disc. All A/C cars
Old 03-07-2021, 12:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1970 RAIII TA bases were single snorkel, RAIV were dual snorkel. Both had the carb air horn vent hole and the Holley bumps for CA and 49 state. I'm pretty sure all 4-bbl air cleaner bases got the air horn vent hole in 1970 whether CA bound or 49 state cars.

Dennis

Old 03-07-2021, 01:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't remember the other 70 T/A Ram III cars I've owned having the vent hole in the air cleaner. I will have to check next time I'm down where my 70 is stored.

Old 03-07-2021, 05:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I thought that the consensus some time ago was that early 1970 model year Trans Am's had a single snorkel, and that it was more or less PMD's intent to use a dual snorkel air cleaner base - so part way through the model year the single snorkel was replaced with the dual snorkel?
I thought (but haven't looked in some time) that the lead press TA's (one which was RAIV) had dual snorkel air cleaners, and that the print media showed them with dual snorkel air cleaners.

I was sure that I had read this over the years being cited from more than one source.

I had also understood along with this that since all RAIV Trans Am's were very late model year builds, that was in part why it has been said that RAIII was single snorkel and RAIV was dual snorkel.

I thought that dual snorkel, single heat stove air cleaners were the norm for late model year cars - these would have in essence been the standard Formula air cleaner with shaker tabs added.

Please set me straight.

Old 03-07-2021, 07:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not sure what the definition of late versus early is. I've had three 1970 T/As with original engines over the years, and all three were single snorkel. One was very late being built early July. I don't remember what the T/A with the Ram IV engine had since it wasn't original to the car. I think I have some 35mm pictures of that car, I should try to find them and see if it shows the engine. But Ithought all Ram III cars had single snorkels, all Ram IVs had dual snorkels.

Old 03-07-2021, 07:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I thought that the consensus some time ago was that early 1970 model year Trans Am's had a single snorkel, and that it was more or less PMD's intent to use a dual snorkel air cleaner base - so part way through the model year the single snorkel was replaced with the dual snorkel?
I thought (but haven't looked in some time) that the lead press TA's (one which was RAIV) had dual snorkel air cleaners, and that the print media showed them with dual snorkel air cleaners.

I was sure that I had read this over the years being cited from more than one source.

I had also understood along with this that since all RAIV Trans Am's were very late model year builds, that was in part why it has been said that RAIII was single snorkel and RAIV was dual snorkel.

I thought that dual snorkel, single heat stove air cleaners were the norm for late model year cars - these would have in essence been the standard Formula air cleaner with shaker tabs added.

Please set me straight.
No dual snorkel air cleaners on raIII TAs ( not the consensus ) , RAIII 70Trans Am’s had single snorkel air cleaners unless somebody changed one and then decided to pawn it off as original

Old 03-07-2021, 10:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I’ve never even thought this was in question. All 70 Trans Ams with the standard RA3 engine came with a single snorkel breather. This is a well known FACT. Every other Trans Am made in the years 1970, 1971 and 1972 came with a dual snorkel breather. If you debate this you don’t have a clue of what you are talking about.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Norwood For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2021, 11:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm not sure what to make of this;

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood View Post
... If you debate this you don’t have a clue of what you are talking about.
or this one posted a couple minutes later:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwood View Post
You have the skill to do this ridiculous idea? I’d love to see your result.
Normally you seem like a pretty decent and knowledgeable guy, but on occasion you come off as an inexcusable jerk.

The display time has always seemed goofy on this site, and if I got it figured out correct, it looks like you made both of these posts at, or just after 2:30am your local time;
I have heard it said, that “nothing good ever happens after midnight";
Maybe these are just fine examples of just that.

If I really didn't have a clue, I wouldn't have been asking to be put straight.

Thank you Mike and Tilly for the civilly posted corrections.

Old 03-08-2021, 01:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I'm not sure what to make of this;

or this one posted a couple minutes later:

Normally you seem like a pretty decent and knowledgeable guy, but on occasion you come off as an inexcusable jerk.

The display time has always seemed goofy on this site, and if I got it figured out correct, it looks like you made both of these posts at, or just after 2:30am your local time;
I have heard it said, that “nothing good ever happens after midnight";
Maybe these are just fine examples of just that.

If I really didn't have a clue, I wouldn't have been asking to be put straight.

Thank you Mike and Tilly for the civilly posted corrections.
Sometimes the endless posts of garbage just get the better of me and I can’t help myself. A lot of experts out there that don’t really know much and take a guess at it. Your idea is just that an idea and not a good one. You make it sound like you can actually do this, Ive been a metal fabricator for over 40 years and am a highly skilled tig welder, I just might know what I’m talking about. Have a great day

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Norwood For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2021, 01:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry if this is a dumb question. Does the early 70's non shaker, flat lid, dual snorkel, drop base as came on non RA Formula's structurally match to install a shaker top on it? I toyed with a shaker hood set up on my 72 and have the dual snorkel flat top now. I assumed it would work, but? Sorry to hijack thread

Old 03-08-2021, 02:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

/\ I am not sure I follow, but I do not believe there is such a thing as a dumb question.

The Formula dual snorkel and RA aircleaners use the same lid.
The Trans Am's air cleaner base is the same OD as both Formula aircleaners.

I have seen some interesting mixing and matching of bases and lids over the years;
The Trans Am's small OD lid with a dual snorkel base comes to mind as on of those combinations.

Old 03-08-2021, 02:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
Does the early 70's non shaker, flat lid, dual snorkel, drop base as came on non RA Formula's structurally match to install a shaker top on it?
Yes,
4bbl Formula DualSnork (single diaphragm/single heat riser) can be used as a shaker base.
I sold a couple of them in the past 10 years and both went for that purpose.
Add the tabs/brackets - viola'

Wish i would have kept one of them
An old friend just bought a 70 Formula M13 A/C car that is missing the Breather
LucyBlue with Blue Standard, no pwr str , no pwr brakes , oddball rarity.

Last edited by Baron Von Zeppelin; 03-08-2021 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-08-2021, 02:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
Wish i would have kept one of them (70 Formula air cleaners)
An old friend just bought a 70 Formula M13 A/C car that is missing the Breather
LucyBlue with Blue Standard, no pwr str , no pwr brakes , oddball rarity.
Cool!!

of late M13 cars are coming out of the wood work!!

ok, I digress, three or four in twenty years doesn't constitute alot... but still - neat!!

I hope to see pictures of it some time!