THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-01-2021, 06:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I don't know where to buy just the 20mm to 10mm adapter ring. Do ya'll ?
None of us know anything
We're hoping you can iron it all out.

Ran across a deal on a Shindaiwa T3000 56v Rear-Engine Trimmer on semi-local Craigslist.
Made by Echo - but have now Discontinued the Cordless Shindaiwa tools/batts
New with 2Ah Batt & Charger
Asking $75 in the box

Cons :
It's a 1-piece shaft
6 feet long from end to end (dayum)
No Hi-Lo switch
Uses .080 string vs .090/.095
approx 22 minutes run time on a battery

He also has Shindaiwa DH2000 Hedge Trimmer 56v
Asking $75 in the box

They have been for sale for several weeks now.
Thought about might make a go at them if he'd take $100 for both.
Don't need the Hedger - but the Battery would be good to have.
The Cons are sort of killing it though - compared to what i really want.

Another guy real close by also has a Shindaiwa DH2000 Hedge Trimmer 56v
Asking $50 in the box

So possibly - for $150 or less - could buy all 3 - and have Three 2Ah Batteries
Maybe could sell the bare Hedgers for 25-35 each on eBay

It would probably be great as a 1-Trick brush cutter conversion.
I really need a Multi-Trick unit
Probably gonna pass on it

Old 01-01-2021, 08:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cold, wet, & windy here again today. So, I decided to see if I could mount the Renegade blade to my Kobalt trimmer.

All I really needed(need) is just the right concave washer.

But, since I didn't have one, I hogged out a 1" hole in a large diameter washer. Put that against the blade, then used my hold down washer to hold the big washer against the blade.

Seems to work OK. I need to think of something to put between the hold down washer & the blade adapter washer, to make sure it can't work it's way up out of the blade hole. Was gonna just make another adapter washer to put on top of the one in the blade hole. But, it's the same thickness as the big washer. So it won't work. I need something thinner than the big washer, like maybe something intended as a shim. Only thing I can think of is the shim kits for shimming the dist gear of a GM dist.

I figure either Fastenal or Tool City will have something I can use. And, a shock washer might work. Hey, lots of possibilities. I might just look around the shop tomorrow & see what I can find. Might have something I could make work. Probably do.

Oh, when I was testing out the new blade, by just revving it up a bit, I was startled by a fairly loud "pop". Since I was not cutting anything, I'd left the plastic protector on the blade teeth. I thought it was a continuous circle, which was just stretched out a bit to slip it on & off the blade. Apparently that is NOT the case. The pop was the protector coming off the blade & flying halfway across the kitchen. It was sort of shredded.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	R1 - Adapter Washer .jpg
Views:	27
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	557358   Click image for larger version

Name:	R2 - Add big washer .jpg
Views:	22
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	557359   Click image for larger version

Name:	R3 - Add hold down washer  .jpg
Views:	24
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	557360   Click image for larger version

Name:	R4 - Tighten Nut .jpg
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	557361  

Old 01-01-2021, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Ryobi RY40270VNM

At some point, I'd like to try a 40v brushless Ryobi attachment capable trimmer(Just so I'll know).

They recently went up from $179 to $199 @ HD. My HD has some in stock. So, with my 10% off, it would cost me just under $200.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-40...0VNM/310463558

BUT, I checked on Ebay & there are several new units there for much less. Since I don't really NEED it, I'm thinkin of buying one of the Ebay units.

Here are 2 @ $126 + tax. Seller has a 99.4% rating.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ryobi-40V-B...IAAOSwbVVf2obJ

This one is $139 + tax. This seller also has a 99.4% rating.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ryobi-RY402...QAAOSwzl9fxUki

This one is aprox $140 + tax. Seller has a 99.3% rating.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Ryobi-R...gAAOSw6odf4VXz

This one is $140 + tax. Seller has a 99.7% rating.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ryobi-40V-B...QAAOSwLKxf18jw

This one is aprox $145 + tax. Seller has a 100% rating.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ryobi-40V-B...kAAOSwsu9fE~5h

Here's a tool only for $89 +tax. I made a $50 offer. That would leave plenty of room to buy a bat & charger, & still save, over the HD price. Ryobi batts & chargers are pretty cheap.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ryobi-40V-B...torefresh=true

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ryobi-40V-L...8AAOSwahFe38Ha

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RYOBI-40-Vo....c100005.m1851

Last edited by ponyakr; 01-01-2021 at 10:40 PM.
Old 01-02-2021, 12:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe they will upgrade us to the $2000 Corona Money
- so we can buy more equipment.

Found out the EGo PowerHead Trimmer is 6,000rpm on Low and 7,200rpm on High
It's also supposed to have variable speed trigger.
So most of those blades you found should be safe.

cold wet & rainy days for the past 3 days here too
Tomorrow is supposed to get real nice after about 9am - high of 70* in late afternoon.

Old 01-02-2021, 02:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Weather today hasn't turned out at all as predicted.
About 50* current temp and overcast - still saying it should clear - and hit upper 50's.
More rain tonight
Maybe some sun and upper 50's tomorrow afternoon.
Could really use some outdoor time

Old 01-02-2021, 04:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default My 2¢ Worth

Well, it's really not even worth that much.

I made a washer/shim/spacer, to make sure the blade adapter washer does not come up out of the blade center hole.

Stop reading now & look at it, in the 1st pic, below.

Notice anything odd about it ? If not, look at it closer.

You may notice a bit copper coloring on it.

It's what's left of penny. I made a 10mm hole in it, then removed the raised features from each side, with a carbide burr. That's why some of it is copper colored & some not. Appears that pennies are just copper coated(or at least coated with something that is copper colored). I didn't know that. From a little bit of coin collecting I did, back in high school, I discovered that some pennies were made of steel, during WWII. There were still some in circulation when I was collecting. I found quite a few. Hey, I won't charge ya'll anything for that info.

I'd planned to try a dime. I thought a penny would be too thick. But, when I compared the two, I couldn't see any difference, at all. Wasn't as much of a diameter difference as I'd thought, either. Anyhow, this modified penny is the perfect size to keep the adapter washer down, without interfering with the hold down washers. They apply plenty of force to prevent the blade from slipping. I suppose if you hit something solid that stopped the blade instantly, then the blade might slip a bit. But that would be a good thing.

Anyhow, it's remained cold/cloudy/windy today, so we didn't go over to the big house. But, it did stop raining. So, I took the Renegade blade equipped Kobalt out for a test run. Works perfectly. Slices easily thru the small saplings. 1 1/2" is the biggest I cut. With the 8" blade there is about 1 7/8" of blade exposed. So, it should cut 2" trees/limbs without too much extra effort. Much bigger than that might require cutting from both sides.

Does the Renegade blade actually cut any better than the skilsaw blade ? I can't really say that it does. The blade I used was several years old & has made quite a few cuts, therefore is probably not very sharp. So, my opinion is that a good sharp skilsaw blade would be just as good, for this type of brush cutting as the Renegade, & the 7.25" blades are much cheaper. There appear to be some decent blades for $10 & less. So, you can buy at least 2, if not 3, skilsaw blades for the price of one Renegade. The MIGHT be the only Renegade I ever buy. Not sure yet.

One thing I was reminded of is how front heavy my front motor Kobalt is. I'm expecting that the rear motor trimmers will feel a lot more balanced. Lookin forward to finding out.

" Maybe they will upgrade us to the $2000 Corona Money
- so we can buy more equipment..."

Yeah, I'm all for that !

Hey, they should'a upped the plague money, INSTEAD of all the pork & sending it to other countries. I don't understand how politicians can just continue to vote to spend more than we take in, every year, & try to get money for all their pet projects & vote to spend money we have to borrow, on such ridiculous things.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	R5 - Shim - Spacer .jpg
Views:	24
Size:	75.0 KB
ID:	557414   Click image for larger version

Name:	R6 - Spacer in Place .jpg
Views:	23
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	557415   Click image for larger version

Name:	R7 - Blade back on .jpg
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	557416   Click image for larger version

Name:	R8 - Hold down & nut back on .jpg
Views:	23
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	557417  

Last edited by ponyakr; 01-02-2021 at 04:40 PM.
Old 01-02-2021, 05:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Trimmer Trivia Question

On most of the videos I've watched, on which they removed the string head, the trimmer rotates counter clockwise(lookin from the top side), and the shaft has left-hand threads.

But, my Kobalt turns clockwise & the shaft has right-hand threads.

So, who knows what other brands/models turn clockwise & have right-hand threads ?

And, while on the subject, WHY were any trimmers designed to turn counterclockwise ?

You'd think there'd have to be some logical reason. I can't think of one.

The strings should cut just as good, regardless of which direction it turns. And, as far as I know, right-hand thread bolts & nuts are more common than left-hand.

Here's a video showing how to easily reverse the rotation of a front motor EGO trimmer. Don't know if this would work on all EGO front motor trimmers, or just this one model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83ZZ_bR_-Io

I assume this might work for SOME other front motor trimmers, as well. Don't reckin most electric motors care which direction they turn. Not sure. Assume it might void the warranty, if they found out.

One thing I thought of is that reversing the direction of rotation will remove any advantages that shaft thread direction may have had. But, if the nut is tight, I don't think just reversing the direction of rotation will cause the nut to instantly back off. I noticed that some trimmer shafts have a hole in the end for a cotter pin. This is obviously to keep the nut from backin off the shaft.

Last edited by ponyakr; 01-02-2021 at 05:55 PM.
Old 01-02-2021, 09:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

CCW is "supposed" to be geared more towards Right Handed users
When it's held on your right side - you have more arch/swing going to the left.
BUT - a Righty might get less greenery on their pants leg using a CW.

CW more for Lefties
Most of mine have been CCW - but a couple have been CW
From the knees down i'm usually plastered with greenery

It should be posted on the BOX before you buy them.
Big Pain in the Azz to use one for years that goes one way - then buy another one - and it goes the opposite way.

Old 01-02-2021, 11:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"...Most of mine have been CCW - but a couple have been CW..."

I'm trying to remember. I think my first one was a real cheap, real low powered model, from WM. All it did was tickle the weeds. I threw it in the trash.

Next, I went to the local saw shop & bought a Stihl gas powered model, with handlebars. Think I used some sort of plastic blades, instead of string. A weed whacker was really a necessity. I had so many old Pontiacs around my shop, I couldn't cut the grass/weeds with a regular lawn mower.

After we moved to this place, we bought a gas powered wheeled trimmer. It worked real good, for what we needed. Wore that one out & bought another. Tried to buy the same brand. But, the local shop didn't sell that brand any more. So, we bought the brand he was selling, in case we needed him to fix it. One was a Troy Built & one was a Poulan. They were basically identical. I've seen lots of different brands that all look real similar.

https://www.amazon.com/Troy-Bilt-25A.../dp/B0001AU34M

https://www.poulanpro.com/us/product...2wt/961720015/

It worked good too. TJ actually used it more than me. It was especially good for trimming along the fence around her horse pen & barn. A year or 2 ago, a bearing went out in one of the wheels, makin it really hard to push. I kept using it to trim around the house. Then one of the string attachment points broke off, makin it a 1-string wonder. I finally just parked it, & it's outside rusting away. The engine was still running OK, when parked.

Considered buying another one, but went with the cordless 40v Kobalt, instead. It worked OK, as a trimmer, but is VERY front heavy. I couldn't hold out to use it for very long. The muscle in my left arm would give up, before the batt ran out of juice. Haven't even used it enuff to use up all the string that came in it.

I've got a shoulder strap ordered for it. Hope that will take enuff of the load off, so that I can last longer. Really lookin forward to testing out the rear motor Kobalt. Guessing it will be a bit more user friendly.

Last edited by ponyakr; 01-02-2021 at 11:57 PM.
Old 01-03-2021, 12:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm used to all the weight being at the rear (gas trimmers) , so the RearMotor units should feel right at home to me.
I'm glad i waited longer before pulling a trigger on one.
Was going to go for the EGo with Carbon-Fiber Shaft - and it is a FrontMotor.
Probably would not have been happy with it.
I spend a LOT of time with the weed-eater chores, and hate doing it.
Cordless without all the noise and heat, i think is going to help a bunch.

If we do wind up with $2k CoronaMoney - i might spring for the backpack battery carrier/mount.
The chainsaws and hedger are practically feather-light without a battery.
That would be Ultra-Ultra-DeLuxe

Old 01-03-2021, 12:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"...might spring for the backpack battery carrier/mount..."

Yeah, that ain't a bad idea.

https://www.amazon.com/EGO-Power-BH1.../dp/B07GL9YT3B

Just noticed that they now have generic batts for EGO stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08HVM3DTF...NsaWNrPXRydWU=

One thing I have learned, from both experience & online info, is that just because a tool is called a string trimmer or weed whacker don't mean it will actually chop down any weeds. Some of 'em are real junk & don't work well, at all, for the task of cutting grass & weeds. Some do a fair job. And there are a few that do a good job. LOTS of choices out there.

Last edited by ponyakr; 01-03-2021 at 01:26 AM.
Old 01-03-2021, 01:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Those generic EGo Batteries have been on eBay for a month or two.
They won't ever take off unless they drop that price in half - or less.

New Genuine 5Ah EGo Batts are trending for around $140-150 range on eBay and there seem to be plenty to go around right now.
People selling them out of Kits.
The china-repoppers probably weren't counting on that factor when they went into producing them and banking on a certain price point.

One thing have found out on the EGo Batts - the part number has to end in a T , for it to be a Fuel Meter unit. They still produce 2.5 and 5.0 without the Fuel Meter on them. Which is strange.
The price point of the Kit you buy determines whether it gets a Fuel Meter Battery or a Non-Meter Battery.
14" Chainsaw gets 2.5 with Meter
24" Hedger gets 2.5 WithOut
16" Chainsaw gets 5.0 WithOut
18" Chainsaw gets 5.0 with Meter
silly games they don't disclose in writing/descriptions

Speaking of Batteries, i wasn't aware the Echo Batteries had even a higher retail price than EGo.
Those things are way too high for dated technology.

Still have my first weed eater from 1985 via K-Mart (Walmart was unheard of in NC then)
Actual Weed-Eater brand, corded electric.
You had to trim weekly or it couldn't cut the mustard
Couldn't do ANY pioneering type cut work with it.
In truth, still have every weed eater i've ever owned - plus some freebies - maybe some of that junk will come in handy if the lower shafts will adapt to whatever i end up with.

My last victim was a 4-Stroke that my Dad gave me, after he about ruined it.
He is so NOT Mechanically Inclined - that when they told him he didn't have to mix oil with the gas - just keep oil in the crankcase -
he kept the crankcase FULL with 2-Stroke Oil.
Like it was a reservoir - to the Top.
yeh - no lie
He said it never really ran good, and oil always oozed/dripped out of breather.
I found out why - but didn't confront him with it - to save embarrassment.

It has the hub where you can use a cordless drill tool to crank it.
That was a really nice feature.
Got it working decent for a couple years, then couple months ago the clutch went out.
I could piece another working gas unit together from parts - but i'm tired of them.
Going Battery Power

Last edited by Baron Von Zeppelin; 01-03-2021 at 02:08 PM.
Old 01-03-2021, 04:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default New Greenworks 40v

Just saw this one. Comes with a 4Ah batt(with usb port). Also comes with a shoulder strap. Right now, it's only $200 + tax, directly from Greenworks.

https://www.greenworkstools.com/40v-...ah-usb-battery

The usb batt is about $150 total @ Amazon. The usb port would not be something I need. LOTS of cheap generic 40v G batts.

https://www.amazon.com/Greenworks-BA...9706933&sr=8-1

Here's a video of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sBdAinP7HW8

Haven't found it available anywhere else, yet.

Hey, not sayin it's good or bad. It's just 1 more option, for a brushless rear motor, attachment capable trimmer kit, for under $225 total.

Don't have any G batts, of any kind. So, if I get a G trimmer, I'll also have to buy a batt & charger. Same for most every other brand, except Echo. And, as I've mentioned, an Echo tool only is nearly $220 total, from HD.

A brushless 40v powered trimmer may be all the power I need.

"...Those things are way too high for dated technology..."

By that, I assume you mean that ONLY the "ARC" type batts, such as the EGO, are "new" technology & that ALL the "brick" style batts are "dated technology" ?

Do you reckin that all the current batt powered tools we've been talkin about will soon be discontinued, & replaced with tools which use the "ARC" type batts ?

Last edited by ponyakr; 01-03-2021 at 05:31 PM.
Old 01-03-2021, 05:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Was just thinkin about how many elec gadgets have become outdated, were discontinued, & were replaced with new technology. And, many of those replacements were soon also outdated & replaced with something new & better.

On & on it goes. Out with the old & in with the new.

"...International Energy Agency Thinks Lithium Has a Decade to Go..."

https://www.upsbatterycenter.com/blo...ming-obsolete/

I figure these old brick batt powered tools will be around as long as I'll be able to use 'em.

Then, I won't care, one way or the other.

It'll be somebody else's problem then.

https://egopowerplus.com/innovation

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...300080645.html

https://www.amazon.com/EGO-BA4200T-7...s%2C371&sr=8-9

Last edited by ponyakr; 01-03-2021 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-03-2021, 09:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
By that, I assume you mean that ONLY the "ARC" type batts, such as the EGO, are "new" technology & that ALL the "brick" style batts are "dated technology" ?
Yes. EGo and SKiL are the only ones i know of with latest/greatest hoopla batteries.
It's not kosher for Echo to be charging more for their battery if it's not the latest and greatest stuff. imo

But Echo charges/overcharges Premium Price on everything, because they can.
The same 58v 4Ah battery from Zombi was about $100 less - because it wasn't branded as Echo. But they interchange with a small mod.
I like Echo stuff - but don't like their current battery pricing.

Quote:
Do you reckin that all the current batt powered tools we've been talkin about will soon be discontinued, & replaced with tools which use the "ARC" type batts ?
Don't know if they will just step up their battery program and leave the tools alone - or if they will go with a whole new clean sheet from scratch.
But seems like whenever newer tech comes in, they all follow suit to keep up with the Jones's.

We can always have our old'ish batteries rebuilt even if they go extinct.
In some cases - like say maybe 80v Kobalt or 58v Echo - it might even be cheaper to have one rebuilt with new cells than to buy a new one today.

Old 01-03-2021, 09:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Ebay Offer

I made an offer of $80, on a new Ryobi 40v RY40270 kit. The buy-it-now price was $129.99 + $15.05 shipping.

Got a counter offer of $80, which makes no sense. If he'll take $80, he should have just accepted my offer.

But, I went ahead & accepted his counter offer & clicked pay now.

Got this notice:

" One or more sellers can't accept payments right now. Contact the sellers for help."

This all seems very squirrely to me. So what does it mean that a seller can't accept payments. Does it mean that the guy is in trouble with Ebay or Paypal, for some reason, & they won't let him receive payment.

Have bought quite a few items from Ebay stores & never had a problem before.

Last edited by ponyakr; 01-03-2021 at 09:51 PM.
Old 01-03-2021, 10:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Weird from the start with that counter at same offer price.
Never had that notice or issue when paying either.

Very Squirrely - pump the brakes a few times and wait.

Is the listing still valid ?
Did seller have other listings - and are they still active / valid ?
As in - have the listings been pulled and disappeared from eBay

That's what happened to those WORX saws
and
It also happened to both of the LiTHELi 40v tools i posted as well.
Seems to be a rash of illicit activity all of a sudden

Old 01-03-2021, 10:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just got an Email from the seller, telling me that it was boxed up & ready to ship, as soon as I make the payment.

I told him that I've already tried to pay 3 times. Included the message I keep getting. Told him the problem must be between him & Ebay.

So, ya'll think this guy is trying to pull a scam, or what ?

" Is the listing still valid ? "

When I click on it, the message says you bought this item.

" Did seller have other listings "

I looked up his history. He's from CA & just joined in Dec. Shows that he sold one item, which was a Ryobi RY41135. Sold for $49. Has a 100% rating, which I assumed meant the 1st sale went OK. OR, I suppose it could mean that the buyer is still waiting for it to arrive at his place. Maybe that buyer filed a complaint with Ebay & that's why they won't let him receive a payment. This is all mere speculation on my part.

It really don't make any sense that somebody would sell a NEW RY40270 kit, for $80, unless there was either something wrong with it, or it was stolen, OR it doesn't even exist. Maybe it's one of those things that's just too good to be true. Maybe I just wanted to believe it, after reading about all the super deals lately, AND after buying the $26 WEN chainsaw.

OK, he just returned my Email. He said:

" Not sure just sold something else 18 minutes ago "

Here's the Email I sent him back.

" Got a question. When I made the $80 offer, why didn't you just accept the offer, rather than making a counter offer of the exact same $80 ?"

His answer should be interesting.

Last edited by ponyakr; 01-03-2021 at 11:21 PM.
Old 01-03-2021, 11:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think your gut reactions are probably accurate.
Keep pumping the brakes.

Could you throw me a link to this seller ?
So i can check into it a little.
His 1 feedback might be from where He Bought something - or a decoy where he staged a sale with an accomplice - or another one of his eBay accounts - to look like a genuine seller.

You can also check his "completed listings" and see if he is bullsquatting about the other sale 18 minutes ago.

The LitheLi blower was a 0 new account - was registered in USA.
It got pulled later that night after the WORX saws were pulled.

The LitheLi chainsaw had 25 feedbacks - was registered USA - but all his other items had Homestead,Florida location - the saw had Wernersville,Pennsylvania location.
It got pulled a day later after the Blower.

Sellers have never messaged me about hurry up and pay the item was ready to ship as soon as paid. Those things are usually a given.
Something Stinks

Old 01-04-2021, 12:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"...Could you throw me a link to this seller ?
So i can check into it a little..."

He's " amaudi43 ".

https://www.ebay.com/usr/amaudi43?ul_noapp=true

No reply to my last question, yet. It's only a little after 8pm in CA.

Sure would be nice to have plenty of money to buy all new stuff from credible businesses, & not have to deal with Ebay sellers.

The earth is filled with crooks, scammers, liars, thieves, & criminals of all types.

That $2000 plague money would buy all the trimmer stuff I wanna try, with some left over.

If the dems take over the senate, I suppose we'll get the money right away. They'll just borrow some more from China, or whoever, & send it to us.

Last edited by ponyakr; 01-04-2021 at 12:37 AM.