THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-16-2021, 10:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Ebay

Here's what I sent him.

"Talked to an Ebay rep. He said if you will contact them, they will walk you through the partial refund process.

Click on this link & go to the bottom of the page. Click on the box to get a call back. They will usually call you right back.

https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/pay...o=4&uci=0&ri=0

You can also go directly to your PayPal account & get the partial refund to me.

So, there are 2 ways you can do it. No excuse not to."

How's that ?

Old 01-16-2021, 10:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Front Motor Possibilities

First gonna consider those under $200.

This EGO is $179 + tax.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/EGO-Power-5...ded/1003130700

So, if it has a 10mm shaft, and can easily be converted to a brush cutter blade, what would be wrong with it, as a dedicated brush cutter ?

Old 01-16-2021, 11:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
So, there are 2 ways you can do it. No excuse not to.
It all sounds pretty damd perfect . ^ ^ ^

That is a nice price to come with a battery too.
And the Battery IS the Power Meter type since it states 1400T included.
On some items they picture the power meter battery just for "illustration"- but then you get the standard one.

Just mentioning these items for notes -
No Low-High switch
The front-motor models don't come apart in 2 -pieces, they hinge in the middle and fold in half. Power cable runs down the tube.
I can check one in the next couple days on the output shaft size and let you know.

Acme had been having some Reman's at good prices.
But i haven't checked it in a while.

Last edited by Baron Von Zeppelin; 01-16-2021 at 11:43 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 12:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Today's Fire at the Big House

Everything was wet. Used 3 gals of oil, 1 gal of of gas/diesel mixed, & a half gal or so of off-road diesel, to get the stuff to burn.

The big snow had broke off a large Magnolia limb. So, we burned it. Those leaves make a cool snap, crackle, & pop, as they burn.

I cut a few bushes with the Ryobi brush cutter, & a stump with a Kobalt chainsaw, while TJ tended the fire. Burned the stuff I'd cut as well as the stuff my sister had piled up near the big house. Got to do a little wheelbarrow hauling.

We finally got most of the stuff to burn, before I ran out of oil. May have a little left for the next burn. Should have taken more oil with us. Will try to take more than we need, from now on. Too much is better than not enuff.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	F1 - Gas Trail .jpg
Views:	38
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	558616   Click image for larger version

Name:	F2 - Fire in the hole .jpg
Views:	34
Size:	150.7 KB
ID:	558617   Click image for larger version

Name:	F3 -  Snap, Crackle, Pop .jpg
Views:	37
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	558618   Click image for larger version

Name:	F4 - Everything is wet .jpg
Views:	31
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	558619  

Old 01-17-2021, 12:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 80v Greenworks

Here's an 80v Greenworks for just a fuzz over $200, with tax.

https://www.amazon.com/Greenworks-16...48862936&psc=1

Can probably also get this 60v Greenworks for about $200. Assume the 80v would be a better deal, at about the same price.

https://www.greenworkstools.com/pro-...BoCUfAQAvD_BwE

Old 01-17-2021, 04:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 80v Kobalt Trimmer

The Kobalt 80v is $249, & my 10% vet discount will pay the tax.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-80-V...ded/1000698056

Guessing that the 80v Greenworks would have the same guts & be a better deal than the Kobalt. BUT, I already have one 80v Kobalt batt & charger. So, that's a plus for the Kobalt.

But, the Kobalt may soon be discontinued. So, that's probably a plus for the Greenworks.

Online info shows that one is in stock at Monroe Lowes. So that's a big plus for the Kobalt. If the one that shows to be in stock is actually there, maybe I can check it out. But, even if I can't, I can buy it, check it out on the Tacoma tailgate & take it right back in the store for a refund, if there is something about it I can't live with.

Last edited by ponyakr; 01-17-2021 at 04:36 AM.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Front Motor Echo

Here's the cheapest option I've seen. The front motor Echo BT is $160 + tax. I can sign up for Zoro Emails & get 10%, which will pay the tax. And I already have an Echo batt & charger, which need using.

https://www.zoro.com/echo-string-tri...gaAjQWEALw_wcB

Old 01-17-2021, 10:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Bought Echo

Decided to give the front motor Echo a try, as cheaply as I could.

So, I bought a "renewed" unit, from Amazon. My total cost was $117. And, I'll get 5% off the purchase price, for future Amazon purchases.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...380_em_1p_1_lm

Really lookin forward to seeing what it will take to make a brush cutter out of it, & how efficient it will be.

PS: Nothing but crickets from my Ebay seller. I reckin he's backed into a corner now. Can no longer say that Ebay won't let me. Either has to poop, or get off the pot.

Last edited by ponyakr; 01-17-2021 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-17-2021, 11:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Decided to give the front motor Echo a try, as cheaply as I could.
So, I bought a "renewed" unit, from Amazon.
S w E E t !
If they ship it Fed-X or UPS you will get it pretty fast.

Quote:
The front motor Echo BT is $160 + tax. I can sign up for Zoro Emails & get 10%, which will pay the tax.
On that Zoro deal - it shows a Battery installed and the specs list a 2Ah Battery.
But the specs also say No Charger
Is it a Tool-Only , or does it come with a Battery ?
That would be a heckuva deal with a Battery included.
It also says not eligible for promotion - so probably no 10% - but wouldn't sweat that at all if it comes with a Battery.

Quote:
Here's an 80v Greenworks for just a fuzz over $200, with tax.
Don't mean to offend anybody who owns GW stuff -
but it's the cheapest made "name brand" on the market.
Wouldn't buy anything they have except maybe a Battery to convert to Kobalt if it had to be done.
It's the cost-cutter version of a Kobalt. The motor and battery design are about the only things they share.

Maybe you can return/refund one of the 8mm Ryobi's and get another "somethingelse" 10mm ?

Old 01-17-2021, 12:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"...Is it a Tool-Only , or does it come with a Battery ?..."

You can tell by the "BT" that it is a "Bare Tool" unit, with no batt or charger.

" Mfr #: CDST-58VBT "

"...Maybe you can return/refund one of the 8mm Ryobi's and get another "somethingelse" 10mm ? "

Well, the CA unit is still in returnable condition. But, if I get the partial refund the seller has promised, I'll keep it. No word from him in a couple of days.

Not planning to return the new Ryobi. I like it. Only thing I don't like is the 8mm shaft. But, as I said, the nut was EXTREMELY tight, when I got it. Since that much torque did not break it, those little shafts must be much stronger than they look.

Do you, or anyone else here, know of one of these 8mm shafts that has broken ???

I'm thinkin that if those shafts had a breakage problem, I'd have read about it in some of the reviews I've read and/or videos I've watched. But, I'll do some more searching for that specific problem & see what I can find.

Last edited by ponyakr; 01-17-2021 at 12:55 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
Took a 30-Day Free Trial of AmazonPrime at checkout
Now the Kurt Blades will be here MONDAY - instead of Friday.
Will probably go half-crazy waiting on the 04409 Cup Washers to get here so i can try the Blades on the EGo.
Good Gracious
Ordered the blades yesterday about 6pm
The delivery has been moved up to TODAY ! Sunday !
Amazon Driver delivery.
Going to try to track the driver just for the fun of it.
Would have been super sweet if the washers were Amazon products.

They built a huge Amazon Complex within 30-40 miles from me not long ago.
They must have had the blades in stock at that location.

Old 01-17-2021, 02:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Amazon

I've always got real good service & quick shipping, but nothing like that !

We live out in the sticks. So, we have to get stuff by UPS, FedEx, or USPS. But I assume that Amazon delivers with their own vehicles, within a close proximity to a big warehouse, especially if it is located in a highly populated area.

I found this article VERY interesting.

https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/13/...han-50-percent

I remember seeing an Amazon ad showing some of their delivery vehicles. IIRC, they have ordered lots of battery powered vehicles.

https://qz.com/1712151/amazon-orders...livery-trucks/

https://www.aboutamazon.com/news/tra...livery-vehicle

Old 01-17-2021, 03:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Greenworks

"...Don't mean to offend anybody who owns GW stuff -
but it's the cheapest made "name brand" on the market.
Wouldn't buy anything they have except maybe a Battery to convert to Kobalt if it had to be done.
It's the cost-cutter version of a Kobalt. The motor and battery design are about the only things they share. "

Wow ! Just out of curiosity, where did you get that info ???

Haven't run across many negative reviews of Greenworks quality.

So, you think that although Greenworks makes some of the Kobalt stuff, that they make it to higher quality standards than their own Greenworks branded products ?

https://thrivingyard.com/greenworks-yard-tools/

Old 01-17-2021, 03:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Will be ultra cool if it delivers by a remote control drone.
One flew over my place about 3-4 weeks ago, no idea whose it was.
But it had some size to it - maybe about 3 feet long.
It wasn't carrying anything.

Quote:
Wow ! Just out of curiosity, where did you get that info ???
From comparing products in the Lowes while they were liquidating GW , and some Kobalt.
All the GW stuff looked and felt cheaper made.

Most people who have probably bought it probably didn't get to do much or any side-by-side comparisons.
Or didn't care, if shopping just by price.
Haven't been impressed with anything i saw made by GW, in person.

Last edited by Baron Von Zeppelin; 01-17-2021 at 03:42 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 04:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Blades just came.
Prime delivery van , non-electric.
It never gave me the available option to track the vehicle.
Used to be able to do that once it was within 10 stops of your stop.

Found my old McCulloch brush blade kit and the blade.
No Help

Old 01-17-2021, 05:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Both Kurt Blades look to measure right about 1.5mm thick on the base material.
They look cool too . lol

Don't have any way to weigh them, but will take them somewhere eventually and see what they actually weigh.
The Green 40t blade feels maybe a tiny bit heavier.

The Green 40t has 4 raised anti-tangle flanges and they clear the EGo head assy fine.
They could be an issue on a trimmer with a larger head.
About 3" head diameter would be the very maximum for this blade.
Unless it was a Clockwise rotater and you mounted the blade upside down.

Less than 24 hours from order to delivery. Dammm

Old 01-17-2021, 08:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Kobalt With Diablo

Don't think I made any measurements, after I put this 8 1/4" Diablo blade on it.

Has almost 2" of cutting surface. I'll call it 1 15/16".

So, I went out and whacked a few small limbs, including the one pictured, which looks to measure 1 7/8".

The limb was horizontal, so the cut was vertical & down. Didn't push down on it at all. Just let the weight of the motor/head/blade apply downforce. Chewed quickly thru it, with hardly any resistance at all. Less than 2 sec. Probably closer to 1 sec.

Hey, was just soft sweet gum. But, besides the briers & scrub bushes, sweet gum is what we most often need to cut. Sweet gum grows really quick, around here. Any land that is clear-cut will quickly grow up as a sweet gum thicket, if nothing is done to stop 'em.

The edge of the field near our Eastern tree line will quickly begin to grow little sweet gum saplings, very soon after I have bush hogged it. Seems that it only takes a few weeks for them little suckers to be 3 feet tall. It's only about a 100 yard strip, or slightly more. So, rather than bush hoggin the whole area every couple of weeks, I can use one of my bush whackers to quickly take out the little sweet gums. And, I can cut 'em a lot closer to the ground than the bush hog will cut 'em. The whole job probably won't take more than 30 minutes.

I see no reason at all why this Kobalt couldn't easily use one of the 9" brush blades. But, the vast majority of the stuff we cut is less than 2". For the few that are bigger, we could hit 'em from both sides. So, I see no reason to run a bigger blade. And, as mentioned, there are quite a few 8 1/4" blades to choose from. Will eventually get around to using the others I bought. But, I can safely say that this Diablo cuts really good.

Still crickets from CA.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Almost 2 .jpg
Views:	33
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	558653   Click image for larger version

Name:	1 & 7-8ths .JPG
Views:	32
Size:	176.4 KB
ID:	558654  

Last edited by ponyakr; 01-17-2021 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-17-2021, 09:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
But, I can safely say that this Diablo cuts really good.
Looked back to see what the tooth count for that Diablo was
24 t
Clean looking cut for a blade that looks that aggressive.

Quote:
Still crickets from CA.
Damm crickets

Something came to mind about the $50
Sellers pay an average of 15% in fees on sales
So that's another $7.50 that he will be "eating" on top of the $50 if he doesn't get adjusted properly through eBay/PayPal for the $50 partial refund.

Maybe if you told him to take that off the top - and just send regular paypal to you , that would be fine to close the book on the case. ($42.50)

Some sellers sweat over every nickel when they figure their profit margins.
just a thought that came to me

Old 01-17-2021, 10:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"...Maybe if you told him to take that off the top - and just send regular paypal to you , that would be fine to close the book on the case. ($42.50)

Some sellers sweat over every nickel when they figure their profit margins.
just a thought that came to me "

He didn't question the $50 amount. Just said Ebay was preventing him from giving me a partial.

It's now been more than 2 1/2 days since his last Email. After telling him what the Ebay rep said & Emailing him links to several videos describing, in great detail, EXACTLY how to give me a partial refund thru PayPal, I haven't heard a word from him.

So, I figure he's out of excuses now, & does not plan to give me anything. I'll have to admit that my opinions of what to do about this have changed a few times. On one hand, I think I should just forget about a refund & chalk it up to experience.

On the other hand, like most people, I hate to be lied to & taken advantage of. And, if this guy don't get punished for his false advertising, whether he was aware of it or not, he could just go right on misleading buyers. If he's gonna be an Ebay seller, he needs to realize that accurate product description is necessary.

How long do I have to wait before Ebay will do something to help me, rather than just telling me to work it out with the seller ?

Old 01-18-2021, 01:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default And even more Ebay

I went on Ebay chat & tried to see what they would do. After lookin over all the back & forth Emails, the rep sent me this message.

" Thank you for waiting Don. I was able to locate all the information that we need to help you on this refund. However, as of the moment, the 3 business days given to the seller to process the refund has not end yet. We will give them until the 19th of January to have your partial refund process. However, if they still did not fulfill their part, please let us know by the 20th of January, to have this claim escalated. "

They said that the claim was filed Wednesday. The seller has 3 BUSINESS days to comply. So, Sat & Sun don't count. Neither does Mon, because it's MLK day. Said the seller has 'til Wed, before they can/will consider doing anything.

"...Since the claim was opened on Wednesday last week, the 3 business days started on the 14th. Tomorrow is also considered as Holiday, that's why the last business day will be by Tuesday. I apologize if it will took more days before we can refund your money. This timeframe was given for the seller, as this is the only avenue that they have to fix this issue and to prove themselves. "

Now ain't that just great.

I'm mad enuff now to see this thang out 'til the end. This whole thang is ridiculous. NO, it ain't worth $50. But now, it's just the principal of the thang. Ebay is obviously protecting this seller, & he has made it pretty clear that he don't intend to give me a refund, unless Ebay forces him to do so. Wish I was wrong about that. But, as of now, that's the way it looks.

Last edited by ponyakr; 01-18-2021 at 01:44 AM.