THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 02-14-2021, 07:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"...looking to use it to clear dirt away from around bottom of stumps to get lower or cleaner cuts on them..."

That sounds like a great idea !

Let us know how it works. Might work for us on the root ball of the downed trees, over at the big house. With it, we may be able to remove the dirt from around the roots, a little at a time, & gradually either get the whole thing cut, or whittle 'em down to a small enuff size so that the Kioti can handle 'em.

Thankfully, the rain held off here, til almost 5pm. Been coming down steadily since then. Freezes instantly on everything it touches.

Still have power, as I'm posting this. Forecast for tonight & tomorrow don't look good, at all. Thankfully, it will be Spring here, in a month or less. We don't normally have any really cold weather in March. Use to begin racing in Feb, and a full schedule in Mar. Precious memories !

Here's a pic of TJ'S E/SA '68 Bird, while still in primer, in Feb of '75, IIRC. This was in Central Louisiana, at Forest Hill. She won her 1st 2 races there, that year, as well as her 1st 4 races at the Monroe track. Yeah, we wuz havin some Pontiac powered fun !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Forest Hill '75 .JPG
Views:	72
Size:	121.3 KB
ID:	560775  

Last edited by ponyakr; 02-14-2021 at 08:11 PM.
Old 02-14-2021, 11:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
That sounds like a great idea ! Let us know how it works.
I had it, and another style wire wheel, both in my "saved for later list" on my "cart" page and they were both around $12-15.
Just to think about them or consider later.

Was making some adjustments on that page and saw the price had dropped on that one down to $3.97
It said - Hurry only 3 left.
By the time i got the order set it already said - Last One.

It was lucky, everything else in my list either goes UP in price - or goes out of stock.

You guys must have had tons of fun racing back then.
I've seen the pics of when you were a 2-car team hauling both cars around to tracks.
Great that y'all took pictures along the way of the adventures.

Been raining here almost consistently since Thursday in one form or another.
No freezing or snow yet. It hovers right around freezing mark.
Just cold and wet for days and days

Old 02-23-2021, 08:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Some New Stuff

The weather here is back like it should be, this time of year. So, USPS & UPS brought me some stuff Mon.

Got the EGO & no-name straps I ordered. EGO looks good. The no-name looks cheap.

Got the 7" & 9" chainsaw teeth blades, as well as a thick Curt-Saw 9" 20-tooth blade. I'd intended to buy a 10". Went back & looked at the ad. The 9" & 10" were on the same ad. Needed to click on the 10" blade, to order it, but did not. Ad says the blade is 2.1mm thick & the tips are 2.8mm.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08N55D4F4...t_b_asin_title

Anyhow, I tried the 9" CS-teeth blade 1st. Put it on a Kobalt attachment, & powered it with a Ryobi 40v brushless motor. Cut OK, but not near as good as I expected, considering the reviews I've seen. No problem with power. The Ryobi had no problem keeping the blade speed up. It never bogged down. Kept cutting, just not as fast as I'd expected. Whacked down a tree that turned out to be just over 4". Then tried to cut a thin slice off of the stump. Not quite enuff blade exposed to make it all the way thru from one side.

Next I put the thick 9" blade on the other 40v brushless Ryobi, also using a Kobalt attachment. By the way. I tried to weigh the blades on TJ's 16oz postal scales. The 7" blade weighed near 12oz. Both 9" blades weighed more than a pound. The scale is only marked to 16oz & goes aprox the distance of 1oz farther, before bottoming out. Both 9" blades easily bottomed out. So, they're the heaviest blades I've tried, so far.

Conclusion: I'm not impressed at all with the chainsaw teeth blade. Only plus I can see is that it can be resharpened several times. Probably MANY times, like a chainsaw chain. That will probably make 'em the cheapest blade out there, over time.

And, this needs saying here, again. Those 40v brushless Ryobi rear-motor powerheads work great. Neither one showed any hesitation at all, starting the heavy blades, nor keeping them turning while cutting. Cut on low speed, with trigger wide open.

I obviously can't comment on their longevity. But, as for their performance when new, I'll have to rate 'em an A+, with 5 stars. They'll do everything I've ask 'em to do, & far exceeded my expectations of power output.

So, knowing everything I know now, If I had to start over, I'd buy a 40v brushless rear motor Ryobi & a 40v brushless rear motor Kobalt. Then I'd swap attachments, running the Ryobi string head attachment on the Kobalt power head. And, I'd probably run either a Dewalt or Diablo 8 1/4" blade on the Ryobi powerhead/Kobalt attachment. Would probably also keep one of the lite, thin kerf 7 1/4" blades on hand, so I could pop it onto the Ryobi attachment, when we needed to use both trimmers with a blade, at the same time.

We've got enuff choices so it won't make a difference. But, for anyone who has been following this thread, who is thinking of possibly buying a new trimmer/ brush cutter. This may be some helpful info.

But there may be those who may wanna buy only one unit. What would I recommend ? Well, I suppose that would be a toss-up. Each brand has pros & cons. The Ryobi will put more power to the blade, & will start even the heaviest blade. But, the Kobalt has the larger diameter 10mm shaft. Just assuming this will have to be at least slightly stronger than the 8mm Ryobi shaft.

But, it you never plan any serious bush/sapling/tree cutting with your trimmer, I suppose the 10mm shaft would not really be a serious consideration. But, if this is the case, then you would not need the extra power of the Ryobi. The Kobalt has plenty of power to run string heads, & the lite 7 1/4" brush blades.

So, the Kobalt MAY just be the best all-around choice. At last look, the new Lowes price was aprox $200 + tax. Usually some Ebay prices $50 and more, below the Lowes price. Ryobi prices are about the same, with HD having the higher new price. For those wanting to spend as little as possible, used or refurbished Ryobi units are the cheapest way to go. But, as we all know, you may or may not get what you want, with an Ebay deal. Might get a great deal. Might not.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B1 - Blades , Straps, Nuts .jpg
Views:	78
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	561417   Click image for larger version

Name:	B2 - F-9 .jpg
Views:	89
Size:	107.4 KB
ID:	561419   Click image for larger version

Name:	B3 - Just Under 3.25 .jpg
Views:	69
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	561420   Click image for larger version

Name:	B4 - About 4 .jpg
Views:	67
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	561421  

Last edited by ponyakr; 02-23-2021 at 08:40 PM.
Old 02-23-2021, 08:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Kurt-Saw HD 9"

Was not expecting the 20-tooth blade to cut as fast as the Forrester CS-teeth blade had. To make it as fair as possible, I cut off another cookie, from the same stump as with the Forrester blade. I was shocked. The heavy 9" 20-tooth blade zipped thru the 4" stump, as deep as it could go. Moved to the opposite side to finish removing the cookie. When the blade got about 3/4" or less in, the cookie broke loose from the stump, & remained impaled on the blade. Brought the whole lower attachment into the house & took pics. Took considerable effort to work the cookie off the blade.

I was indeed impressed with the heavy 9" 20-tooth blade. It made a very quick & very smooth cut. The ad I bought from called it a Kurt-Saw brand blade. The blade has no brand markings on it, that I noticed. The outside of the white box has a small stick-on label, for scanning. So, I assume that same blade is probably sold under numerous brand names. Not positive.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B5 - Kurt-Saw 9 .jpg
Views:	91
Size:	101.9 KB
ID:	561422   Click image for larger version

Name:	B6 - 20-tooth, Fender Washer, 10mm LH .jpg
Views:	70
Size:	74.0 KB
ID:	561423   Click image for larger version

Name:	B7 - Cookie Stuck .jpg
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	561424   Click image for larger version

Name:	B8 - Closer .jpg
Views:	66
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	561425   Click image for larger version

Name:	B9 - Carbide Teeth, CS Teeth Marks  .jpg
Size:	76.8 KB
ID:	561426  

Old 02-24-2021, 01:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Conclusion: I'm not impressed at all with the chainsaw teeth blade.
That's a bummer.
I was hoping to hear better news on those. oh well
Maybe they could be of use for some stump grinding type work.

Quote:
I was indeed impressed with the heavy 9" 20-tooth blade. It made a very quick & very smooth cut.
Will have to order one of those on the next go-round.

These saw-tooth blades do cut great, and Quick.
But once you hit something you aren't supposed to - they do Die FAST.

Got lazy using my Green WoodBlade, and left it on to do some quick "sweeping" brush stuff in the zone i was working instead of changing out to the Blue BrushBlade Combo.
Hit a disguised rock covered in moss - and it won't cut hardly anything over an inch now.
Was being too careless overall and it cost me a blade.

10" is really too big for a general Wood-Cut Blade. imo
Bought them to start out with because they were cheap.
8" or 9" is probably better size to stay more focused with.

For "ground-sweeping" type brush/vine/weed/twiglets/scruff the Blue 10" Blade is excellent.
I use it like a weed eater method just sweeping back and forth across the ground.
Have cleared some rough areas out real clean and easy to walk through now.
No more Tangles !
The bigger size is great for that purpose.

Haven't used the WireBrush Wheel yet.
But it is REAL REAL REAL STIFF and will be for extra heavy duty things.
It could tear some stuff up pretty good.
Should be great for things like your root ball project.
Or as a test wheel for going into an unknown pile that could ruin a saw blade.

They make another style WireBrush Wheel that is stranded - more like what you might would use on a drill to clean metal parts.
Going to order one of those too.
Currently marked down to $8 - from $12
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...F35HQOR7&psc=1

Old 02-24-2021, 05:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey, those thin wire wheels look like they'd be good for scrubbin up some real nasty concrete floors or sidewalks.

Should remove all crud. Better than having to do it with a wire wheel on a side grinder. Could at least do it while standing.

Reminds me of a real cheap wood handle wire brush I bought. Would lose quite a few wires every time I used it. Was more trouble picking up the wires than it was worth, so I threw it in the trash.

Last edited by ponyakr; 02-24-2021 at 05:20 PM.
Old 02-26-2021, 01:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default One More Toy

Some of ya'll may remember a while back when I bought a 40v rear motor Greenworks, directly from them. But, after it didn't come, I inquired, only to find out they were not shipping anything because they were changing their computer system. So, I cancelled the order.

Well, I'd just about talked myself out of buying one. But, a couple of weeks ago, I saw one on Amazon for about $50 cheaper than the one I'd ordered. After quite a bit of consideration, I decided to buy it.

There were several reasons for my decision.

(1) I knew it would have a 10mm shaft attachment, which would fit my Kobalt & Ryobi trimmers.

(2) It appeared to have a huge string guard, which should catch most any chunk one of the big blades might try to throw back at us.

(3) It has an anti-kickback bar which attaches with the front handle, as one unit.

(4) Price. It was only around $150 + tax, including a batt & charger.

(5) Comes with a shoulder strap & nice strap attachment clamp.

(6) Has an on-off button, which makes a cool sound & lights up when on. Also has a Hi-Lo button, which has a light for high speed. It's the only trimmer I have which has an on-off button.

Had no problem putting it together. Charged batt. Turned it on & pulled the trigger. Everything seems to work as it should. The only thing I've found that I don't like, so far, is that it doesn't have a variable speed trigger--only Hi & Lo speed. But, my 1st 40v Kobalt is that way, & it worked just fine with a brush blade. I just pulled the trigger again when the blade speed got slower than I wanted, or when I was gonna cut into something a little bigger.

UPS still trying to catch up. It was well after dark before he got here. It's raining here now & supposed to rain more. May be Sat before I get to test it out.

We did some trail clearing today. Took the 12" Kobalt chainsaw, a 40v rear motor Kobalt with the Trimmer Plus attachment/Irwin 7 1/4" blade. Also had some limb loppers & the small hand pruners, which I call "little loppers". Biggest tree was probably 4". Most everything else was 1 1/2" & smaller. Lots of tangled limbs & vines. Mission accomplished, no problem ! Hey, we just can't lose with the tools we use !
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4G1 - Box .jpg
Views:	63
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	561580   Click image for larger version

Name:	4G2 - Motor, Controls, Batt, Charger  .jpg
Views:	63
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	561581   Click image for larger version

Name:	4G3 - String Head, Guard, Handle, Strap .jpg
Views:	62
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	561582   Click image for larger version

Name:	4G4 - Assembled Power Head .jpg
Views:	57
Size:	55.3 KB
ID:	561583   Click image for larger version

Name:	4G5 - On .jpg
Views:	80
Size:	42.0 KB
ID:	561584  

Old 02-26-2021, 01:36 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default With 7" CS-teeth Blade

Had the 7" CS-teeth blade handy, so I put it on. Enlarged the hole in a Ryobi cup washer & used the nut out of the string head.

Will test it out when weather permits.

There is plenty of room for a bigger blade. Have a 10" WEN blade ordered. Looks like there's enuff room for a 12". Don't think I'll try one that big.

PS: One other thing I noticed is that the string guard bracket is not riveted to the tube. It's just attached with one screw. So, I suppose it could be used to mount the guard on other tubes. Will keep that in mind, in case I come across a real good deal on a bracket & guard.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4G6 - String Head Nut, Ryobi Cup Washer  .jpg
Views:	65
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	561585   Click image for larger version

Name:	4G7 - CS-teeth 7 inch .jpg
Views:	60
Size:	80.9 KB
ID:	561586   Click image for larger version

Name:	4G8 - Lots of room for bigger blade  .jpg
Views:	59
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	561587   Click image for larger version

Name:	4G9 - Handle with Kickback Bar .jpg
Views:	50
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	561588   Click image for larger version

Name:	4G10 - Ready to Rumble .jpg
Views:	61
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	561589  

Last edited by ponyakr; 02-26-2021 at 01:47 AM.
Old 02-26-2021, 06:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 7" CS-teeth Blade

Well, the sun popped out today. So, I popped out to test the 7" CS-teeth blade.

Tried it on a limb that was a little over 1 1/2". The limb was horizontal, so my cut was vertical. As soon as the blade dug into the limb, big chips started flying into the air.

Reminded me of the 1st time I used the 80v Kobalt chainsaw. Yeah, it made quick work of the 1.5" limb. There is about 2 1/4" of blade exposed. So, it will easily take care of anything up to just over 2".

Just for comparison, I also took the attachment which has the 9" Forester CS-teeth blade on it. It did cut the 1.5" limb OK. BUT, the cut was not near as quick. The chips were not near as big.

I can't explain why the 7" blade cuts quicker than the 9" blade. By just feeling the cutting edge of the teeth, the 9" FEELS a little sharper. MAYBE the 7" teeth are more "aggressive". I really don't know.

Would the 9" cut quicker if the teeth were sharpened at a slightly different angle ? Don't know.

Conclusion: For anything under 2 1/4", the 7" blade is great. How many cuts will it make before it needs sharpening ? How many times can it be resharpened ? Will any of the teeth loosen up and/or come off ? I can't answer any of these questions.

But, as of right now, I think it's a great little blade, that MIGHT end up being one of the cheapest blades there is, over time, depending on how many times it can be resharpened. But, if you want a blade that will cut stuff over 2 1/4" thick, this ain't it.

It's a BlueCatELE 7"

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This brand also offers a 9" version. Is it any better than the Forester ? Don't know.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ct_top?ie=UTF8

There is also a Forester 7". Is it better than the BlueCat ? Don't know.

https://www.amazon.com/Forester-Chai.../dp/B00JW6BMB4

There are other brands. Which brand is best ? Are 2 or more of the brands exactly the same blade, just under a different brand name ? Can't answer these questions.

This brand gets good ratings.

https://www.amazon.com/2-Set-Chainsa...2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

Here's a couple of quick ways to sharpen the teeth. I can probably do this. Don't think I'd like the hand filing method.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qs5vorPI4qk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bGxP3utNfY

Last edited by ponyakr; 02-26-2021 at 07:30 PM.
Old 03-03-2021, 12:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default 10" WEN Blade Test

Quit raining just before noon today. So, I mounted up the 10" WEN blade, for a test run. Replaced the 7" CS-teeth blade, on the 40v Greenworks attachment, with the 10" WEN blade.

https://www.amazon.com/WEN-BL1040-Ca...-1063628154392

Cut a couple of cookies off the same stump I'd tested the 9" Forrester CS-teeth blade on. Cut smooth & steady, I'd say aprox equal to the 9" Forrester. The 40v Greenworks had no problem at all starting the WEN blade, nor keeping it spinning thru the whole cut.

The WEN weighed over a lb, aprox = to the Forrester. Only advantage I can see is that you get aprox 1/2' more blade exposed. Looks to measure just over 3 3/4". So, it'll cut most stuff under 4", with one pass.

I was real interested in how the big Greenworks string guard would handle the cookies, after they were severed from the stump. As anticipated, as soon as the cookies were severed from the stump, the blade tried to kick 'em straight back, off the 9 o'clock area of the blade.

But, that's the biggest area of the big Greenworks guard. So, the cookies were routed around the inside of the guard & shot out the front, at HIGH speed. Would definitely wanna be aware of what was in range, when making a cut which could launch a projectile.

This is just my own opinion. Seems like, especially when using the larger blades, possible projectiles pose more of a danger to the operator, than the blades themselves. This is because the blades are a safe distance from the operator, whereas the projectiles can be thrown for quite a distance, at high speed.

Bottom line on the 10" blade test is that it works OK, but I don't see ever really having much of a need for it. For anything over about 2", I'd prefer to use a chainsaw, or a pole saw if it's overhead.

Well hey, I've tested everything from 6 1/2" to 10". For what we do, MOST of the time, I prefer the thin kerf 7 1/4" blades, on one of the 40v rear motor trimmers.

But, an 8 1/4" blade, on one of the Ryobi or Greenworks 40v rear motor trimmers will provide an extra 1/2" of exposed blade. So, that might be the best all-around combo.

As mentioned, one of the CS-teeth blades will likely be the cheapest blade to use, in the long run, if you don't mind sharpening the teeth occasionally.

No more brush blade tests on the schedule, at this time.

PS: Our microwave died. So, TJ bought a new one today at Wal Mart. It was in a box which had lots of the clear packaging tape on it. So, I broke out our Dewalt multi(oscillating) tool. Hey, it worked great. Buzz-Zip-Zap ! The tape is cut & the box is open, quick. Have I mentioned how much I love things that work ?

Last edited by ponyakr; 03-03-2021 at 12:35 AM.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Powerline ROW Clearing

This was our latest project. The right of way for the powerline that runs thru the woods to our house was really grown up. There were lots of the nasty little scrub bushes, as well as quite a few pine saplings. The biggest sapling was probably 10'-12' tall & about 3" at ground level.

Used several trimmers & blades for the initial cuts. Used mostly the heavy 9" Kurt-Saw blade, with a Ryobi rear motor powerhead, to cut the stumps at ground level. I liked the extra weight of the heavy blade. With the variable speed trigger of the brushless Ryobi, the heavy blade would cut most of the smaller stumps, at a speed just above an "idle". For the bigger stumps, I just increased the blade speed. Still cuts good, even after lots of cuts.

I tried a light 10" blade. It didn't cut as good & got dull REAL quick. So, that heavy Kurt-Saw blade is my favorite for heavier stuff. For the smaller stuff, the thin kerf 7 1/4" blades I mentioned are great, & will work with the 40v Kobalt powerheads.

Also like the 8 1/4" blades on the Ryobi powerheads. The Diablo & Dewalt blades I mentioned seem to both be good.

I even bought an edger blade. It's nothing more than a piece of thin 2" flat bar, with a 1" hole in the center. Haven't tried it yet. Gonna sharpen 2 edges, then try it on thick grass & weeds.

Using the 40v Greenworks as a string trimmer. Also using the mid-motor Ryobi with string. Will probably try the edger blade on several trimmers. Hey, the blade was only about $1.50 + tax shipped, from Amazon ! It'll be a really cheap experiment.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00KR4SZQ0...roduct_details
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1 - Bushes - Saplings .jpg
Views:	75
Size:	180.6 KB
ID:	563280   Click image for larger version

Name:	P2 - After Clearing .jpg
Views:	66
Size:	127.7 KB
ID:	563281   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3 - Cleared to Fence .jpg
Views:	73
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	563282   Click image for larger version

Name:	P4 - From fence back toward pole .jpg
Views:	68
Size:	146.1 KB
ID:	563283   Click image for larger version

Name:	P5 - From North to South .jpg
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	563284  

Last edited by ponyakr; 03-24-2021 at 09:53 PM.
Old 03-24-2021, 09:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Super Brushcutter

After I was almost thru with the clearing, they sent a tracked super brushcutter, to cut limbs along the powerline right-of-way.

It had a really long boom on it. Don't know how high it would reach.

There was also a guy who picked up the limbs & thru 'em off to the side of the right-of-way.

But, there are still LOTS of trees that are tall enuff to take our powerline down, if they fall on it. We're approaching the Spring storm season, here. Hope we get by this year without any trees down on our powerline.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P6 - Super Brushcutter Tracks .jpg
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	563285   Click image for larger version

Name:	P7 - Super Brushcutter .jpg
Views:	80
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	563286   Click image for larger version

Name:	P8 - Cut 'em High .jpg
Views:	88
Size:	155.4 KB
ID:	563287   Click image for larger version

Name:	P9 - Cut 'em Low .jpg
Views:	71
Size:	193.7 KB
ID:	563288   Click image for larger version

Name:	P10 - Cut 'em & Chunk 'em .jpg
Views:	69
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	563289  

Old 03-24-2021, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You won't get enough of the dirt away from those stumps with just the wire brush, and the dirt left will ruin your chainsaw's bar and chain. Take a pressure washer to them to really clean the dirt away. Let them sit and dry out then use the chainsaw. The wait to dry will be worth it, unless you don't care buying new bars and chain.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
The Following User Says Thank You to GT182 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2021, 10:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, the Spring weeds are now in full bloom here. So, we're now seeing how our 40v trimmers do on weeds & grass.

Here's what we've learned, so far.

(1) The 40v rear motor Kobalt does great with string. The motor is quiet. It has plenty of power. On Low speed, the string turns fast enuff to take care of all grass & reasonable weeds.

(2) The 40v rear motor Greenworks seems to work just as good, with about the same noise level. May have the exact same motor. Don't know. As I think I mentioned, it also works good with any of the brush blades I bought. Does not have the start problems which the rear motor Kobalts have, when using a heavy blade.

It came with only a 2Ah batt, which only lasts about 20 min or so, with continuous string trimming. So, since our plague money finally came, I decided to buy my 1st generic 40v battery. It was a little over $50, with tax. Some reviews say they are total junk. Some say they are as good as the name brands. Some say they last even longer than the batt that came with their trimmer. Don't know who to believe. So, I'll try one & see for myself. Will report here how it does.

(3) The brushed & brushless rear motor Ryobi models have plenty of power for both string & brush blades. They seem to make a bit more motor noise than the Kobalt & Greenworks.

Would like to have one more batt for the 40v Ryobi trimmers. The generics are a bit over $60. Might try to find a good Ebay deal on a trimmer WITH batt & charger, for around $100 or so. That would only be around $40 more, for the bare tool.

(4) The mid motor Ryobi works good too, BUT, the motor is quite loud. It makes a high pitch whine, which I find a little too much, for extended use. So, when I use it, I use some makeshift earplugs, made with a small piece of paper towel. Earplugs are all that's needed. No need for the full over-the-head ear muffs, like some use for gas chainsaw work. It's not that loud. May not even bother some. Don't know. But, it bothers me enuff so that I would not buy another mid motor Ryobi, nor recommend it.

We're using the Ryobi attachments & string heads, for all string trimming. Using the 10mm shaft attachments for all brush blade work. It's quite obvious, now, that we'll be doing a LOT more string work than brush blade work, during the grass/weed growing season.

Also ordered one of the knotted wire blades. Gonna use it mostly to remove the large ant hills that build up along our horse lot fence. One of these blades should easily scatter the ant hill dirt.

Last edited by ponyakr; 04-09-2021 at 11:10 AM.
Old 04-13-2021, 09:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Will this work ?

Thought some of you guys who have been following this thread might be interested in this. Since I have now decided which trimmers I like & want to keep, I decided to try to sell some of the others, on the local craigslist.

If I can sell for pickup, or even local delivery, I won't have to bother with or pay for packing & shipping. For some of these, the shipping cost would make them not even worth the trouble.

Just started the ad. No responses yet. But, the weeds are now growing, here. So, the time is right. I'll let ya'll know how my CL ad does.

https://monroe.craigslist.org/tls/d/...305493291.html

Old 04-15-2021, 02:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question Scam or What ?

I just got this Email reply from the CL ad.

Looks like a Russian name, maybe ?

Didn't mention exactly what it was that he wanted to buy. Didn't say where he lives or where he wants to meet. Looks like some kind of scam or something, maybe ? Don't think I've ever got such a weird response from a CL ad.

"...Igor vasiljuk <8f4eabc5af19304090c34f1bfbd2d9fb@reply.craigslist .org>
1:07 PM (20 minutes ago)
to 8f4eabc5af19304090c34f1bfbd2d9fb

You just posted the ad. I want to buy it. This is still available? If available.
I can meet you tomorrow after my work at 5:30 pm, let me know what time is good for you.
You can text me. Thank you..."

He also added a gmail.com Email address, which began with natalia.

Opinions ? Comments ? Advice ?

Old 04-15-2021, 03:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't think I would meet 'Igor' anywhere unless it was in front of the police station with police standing around?
(and him paying cash)

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 04-15-2021, 07:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah, that's sorta what I was thinkin too.

Since there were several items in the ad, I ask what he wanted to buy. Also asked where he lives. Although my ad is in the Monroe CL, (because that's the biggest city in my area), it clearly says I live in Jonesboro. Pretty sure there is nobody named Igor that lives near Jonesboro.

Somehow, I don't really figure I'll hear from him again.

Old 04-18-2021, 09:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Kobalt Sale

Lowes has the 40v rear motor Kobalt trimmer on sale for $99 + tax.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-40-v...nly/1002826854

Or, with batt & charger for $169 + tax.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-40-V...ded/1001768536

5% off if bought with Lowes Credit card ? Don't know for sure if that will work on these items. BUT, they show a price of $160.55, if bought with Lowes card. So, maybe it will work.

Just did some string trimmer work today. This model is light, really quiet, & does a real good job. Was using it with a Ryobi attachment & Ryobi Reel-Easy trimmer head. As mentioned earlier in the thread, the string attachment that comes with this Kobalt trimmer has the larger 10mm shaft, & is good for use with heavy brush blades. BUT, this Kobalt powerhead won't start when using a heavy blade. Works great with a thin kerf 7 1/4" blade. That size blade will take care of most limbs, bushes, & small saplings that most will attempt to cut.

If you wanna use a heavy blade & cut bigger stuff, a 40v rear motor Greenworks or Ryobi powerhead will do the job. The Greenworks motor is quiet, just like the Kobalt. Probably has the same motor. It also comes with the 10mm driveshaft trimmer head.

Currently $97.30 @ Wal Mart.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Greenwork...00202/39675248

Now $97.17, at Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Greenworks-Co...64804621&psc=1

The Ryobi motor works just fine, but makes more noise. They come with the smaller 8mm driveshaft & Reel-Easy string bump head. These heads work great. They're all I'm using for string work. These trimmers are usually for sale, new with batt & charger, on Ebay, for between $100 & $150 + tax. Usually lots of 'em on Ebay without batt/charger, new & used, for less than $100.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ryobi-40V-B...MAAOSw7o9gefOD

Here's just the powerhead section.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/RYOBI-RY400...IAAOSw~7Ffeimw

Used my recently purchased generic battery, in my 40v Greenworks trimmer, today. The Greenworks 2Ah batt will only last 20 min, max. The 6Ah batt will last aprox 40 min. This was light to medium cutting. Really heavy, thick grass will obviously consume more power.

Have also been trying different handles. I like the J-handles best. The one that came with the Trimmer Plus brush cutter attachment is a lot longer & seems to make things a bit easier. But, the handle that came with the Ryobi brush cutter attachment has more foam covering. Works good for me when I grip it out on the upper part of the curve. For me, the J-handles just make it easier to maneuver the trimmer. Don't have to reach as far to hold the handle.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ryobi-A0813...cAAOSwj0tfwHtp

Last edited by ponyakr; 04-18-2021 at 09:32 PM.
Old 04-24-2021, 04:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default New 80v Kobalt Mid-Motor

If anybody wants one, here it is. There was a time, not long ago, when I'd have bought it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/19402817416...8AAOSwsqVgcXjc

But, now I have discovered that 40v rear motor trimmers will do everything I need one to do.