Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 03-18-2002, 07:15 PM

I have a '66 GTO that was originally a automatic car. Someone before me had changed it to a close ratio 4-speed car, but left the original 2.XX gears in it (not good). I have since replaced the gears in the rear with a 3.90 posi unit. Of course, the speedometer reading is all screwed up (plus I have slightly smaller tires on it now - 27" dia in lieu of the opriginal 27.2" diameter).

I have been trying to find the correct speedometer driven and drive gears (which are very difficult to come by for 3.90 gears), but have been told that it will be easier just to put in any good set of matching speedo gears and then take the car to a shop where they will "calibrate" it by installing a little variable gear set in the speedometer cable which will compensate for the mismatch and make the speedometer read right. Has anybody have experience with these devices? Do they work well? About how much to they run?

Ed

Old 03-18-2002, 07:15 PM

I have a '66 GTO that was originally a automatic car. Someone before me had changed it to a close ratio 4-speed car, but left the original 2.XX gears in it (not good). I have since replaced the gears in the rear with a 3.90 posi unit. Of course, the speedometer reading is all screwed up (plus I have slightly smaller tires on it now - 27" dia in lieu of the opriginal 27.2" diameter).

I have been trying to find the correct speedometer driven and drive gears (which are very difficult to come by for 3.90 gears), but have been told that it will be easier just to put in any good set of matching speedo gears and then take the car to a shop where they will "calibrate" it by installing a little variable gear set in the speedometer cable which will compensate for the mismatch and make the speedometer read right. Has anybody have experience with these devices? Do they work well? About how much to they run?

Ed

Old 03-18-2002, 07:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Shops here ususally run close to $100 to put one on. They can get the speddo right on also.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 03-18-2002, 09:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Do what I do for speedo gears. Go to TCI's website, under technical look up speedo gears. Find what is available, and plug in the numbers.

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams

Right and wrong doesn't need facts all the time.
-Lighthouseman ("lawyer")

Starnes Performance Automatics
www.Starnesperformance.com