Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 12-18-2020, 10:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The HEI pdf I posted in post #5 was from Horst Fiedler.

It has a lot of good info in it.

HEI PDF <- link again

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
The Following User Says Thank You to johnta1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-18-2020, 11:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
Some of the notes he posted were hand-written.
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
The HEI pdf I posted in post #5 was from Horst Fiedler.

It has a lot of good info in it.

HEI PDF <- link again

I guess I was wrong about some of the notes being hand-written.

Old 06-29-2023, 07:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenth View Post
Having read the thread I'm not quite sure if the Pole Piece is interchangeable between distributors or not.

If the white wire goes to the proper terminal it is?

Old 06-29-2023, 10:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewKlein View Post
Having read the thread I'm not quite sure if the Pole Piece is interchangeable between distributors or not.

If the white wire goes to the proper terminal it is?
To my way of thinking, the "Pole Piece" is the star wheel that turns with the distributor shaft, with some relative motion due to the centrifugal advance (if equipped.) It has no wires.

The Pickup Coil has White and Green wires, that go to W and G terminals on the module.

There's three pickup coils for the usual V8 Coil-In-Cap HEIs with 4-pin modules. They're color-coded, and have different lengths of green and white lead wires. There's also two versions of magnetic polarity. They're NOT intended to be interchangeable, although some folks do.

This is a Pontiac-based web site, the Pontiac pickup coil has a white/clear, or no color coding, and has the longest lead wires, along with backwards magnetic polarity from the Yellow-coded pickup coil. (But same magnetic polarity as the Black/Blue pickup coil.) It would be used with the ignition coil-in-cap having red and white wires.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HEI_Pickup_coils.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	615084  

Old 06-29-2023, 10:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yea, so if you have an original PMD coil, then that can be the "Gold Reference" for confirming others.

I'm certain the coil wind direction and the magnet polarity both have to be correct.

Whereas i'm pretty sure if you only got a Chevy pickup (with long enough wires) then a flipped magnet might bring the Pulse polarity to match the Pontiac.

The best verification is the check the pulse direction on a O'scope. Your HEI 4-pin module will thank you later.

Old 06-30-2023, 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
To my way of thinking, the "Pole Piece" is the star wheel that turns with the distributor shaft, with some relative motion due to the centrifugal advance (if equipped.) It has no wires.

The Pickup Coil has White and Green wires, that go to W and G terminals on the module.

There's three pickup coils for the usual V8 Coil-In-Cap HEIs with 4-pin modules. They're color-coded, and have different lengths of green and white lead wires. There's also two versions of magnetic polarity. They're NOT intended to be interchangeable, although some folks do.

This is a Pontiac-based web site, the Pontiac pickup coil has a white/clear, or no color coding, and has the longest lead wires, along with backwards magnetic polarity from the Yellow-coded pickup coil. (But same magnetic polarity as the Black/Blue pickup coil.) It would be used with the ignition coil-in-cap having red and white wires.
I have a distributor that needs a new one. We always just called the whole assy the pole piece, evidently incorrectly. Trying to find an original part and so far they are all chevy.

Swapping the chevy one it is a bad idea?

Old 06-30-2023, 09:56 AM

Quote:
I have a distributor that needs a new one. We always just called the whole assy the pole piece, evidently incorrectly. Trying to find an original part and so far they are all chevy.

My distributor is a 1976 bonneville 455 HEI
Does anyone know the original GM part number for the correct pickup coil

Old 06-30-2023, 12:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would like to know what the module does with the pole piece input, Does it use it as just a switch and if so how does polarity effect a switching on or off operation
Or does the module amplify the pole signal and the module cannot amplify a + when its expecting a - input at a certain time

I always viewed the module as sort of a relay using ultra low voltage created by pole piece to switch a higher power input to the coil to create the secondary circuit to create spark

Old 06-30-2023, 12:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That's a good question. DUI sells one module to be used on different brand engines ( Pontiac, Chevy, etc. ) and wouldn't these engines would have different pickup coil polarity. Looks like they have one coil for different brand engine HEI's. It's confusing.

Old 06-30-2023, 02:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I have a distributor that needs a new one... ...Trying to find an original part and so far they are all chevy.

Swapping a Chevy (yellow color-code) pickup coil into a Pontiac (white/clear, or no color code) is a bad idea. Among other problems, the wires are probably too short.

Go to ANY PARTS STORE IN AMERICA, order a pickup coil for your engine (or distributor). Stand there at the parts counter, take it out of the box, and verify that it has a clear/white, or NO color coded connector or tywrap on the wires. That should be correct for a PONTIAC application. These vehicles are getting old, but parts like this are still available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulas View Post
I would like to know what the module does with the pole piece input, Does it use it as just a switch and if so how does polarity effect a switching on or off operation
Or does the module amplify the pole signal and the module cannot amplify a + when its expecting a - input at a certain time

I always viewed the module as sort of a relay using ultra low voltage created by pole piece to switch a higher power input to the coil to create the secondary circuit to create spark
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc View Post
That's a good question. DUI sells one module to be used on different brand engines ( Pontiac, Chevy, etc. ) and wouldn't these engines would have different pickup coil polarity. Looks like they have one coil for different brand engine HEI's. It's confusing.
Do not confuse MAGNETIC polarity with ELECTRICAL polarity. The magnetic polarity is different among engine families to reject RFI/EMP interference. The electrical polarity is the same at the module.

The module is the same for all engines. Even 4-pin four- and six-poppers. The module does not care which color-code the pickup coil is, because the White wire is attached to W, and the Green wire is attached to G no matter which pickup coil is being used.

There are crappy modules, and there are "high-performance" modules, and there's the good ol' reliable GM 990 module which may or may not be as good as what was being sold twenty+ years ago. But all 4-pin modules--good, or crappy--are intended to work with any color-code pickup coil. The module does not know the difference. (Because, electrically, there IS NO difference in the signal delivered to the module.)

The pickup coil output is a gradual voltage increase towards + voltage, a SUDDEN voltage decrease past "0" volts and into negative voltage, then another gradual voltage increase across "0" voltage into positive voltage. The SUDDEN voltage decrease across "0" voltage triggers the module to UN-ground the coil. That collapses the magnetic field of the coil, causing the spark.

As the pickup coil voltage begins to build toward + voltage, the module grounds the ignition coil allowing current flow through the primary windings, rebuilding the magnetic field in the ignition coil, and the process repeats. The module has additional circuitry to limit maximum current flow, along with variable-dwell circuitry which I'm not going to get into here.

So--dramatically simplified--the module acts as a relay, using the pickup coil signal as a trigger.

As for the different MAGNETIC polarity ignition coils...I have no idea. They exist, GM thought they were useful/needed, but no-one has been able to explain why, and I'm not bright enough to guess. Just like pickup coils, the MAGNETIC polarity is opposite, the ELECTRICAL polarity is EXACTLY THE SAME. MSD also sells only one version of in-cap ignition coil (Red and yellow--Chevy, Cadillac, Olds Toronado.) I don't think this is confusing, I think it's cost-cutting, inventory-reduction, and--maybe--ignorance/defiance/dontgiveashiit.

I'd use an in-cap coil with red and white wires on a Pontiac, because that's what GM specifies.

If you are not using an in-cap ignition coil, the magnetic polarity of the EXTERNAL coil does not matter.

Last edited by Schurkey; 06-30-2023 at 03:32 PM.