The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 12-14-2002, 07:51 PM

Before I bought my car the people put a cheap paint job on it. They didn't seal up gap above the door where no weatherstripping was, as a result I have overspray on the steering column, instrument panel etc. Will paint thinner work to remove without?

Old 12-14-2002, 07:51 PM

Before I bought my car the people put a cheap paint job on it. They didn't seal up gap above the door where no weatherstripping was, as a result I have overspray on the steering column, instrument panel etc. Will paint thinner work to remove without?

Old 12-15-2002, 05:56 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Try a light rubbing compuond . Something that does not have a course grit to it . Do a small area at first to test it and see what happens . Do not use paint thinner , it can eat into the plastic and ruin it .

Man is not complete until he's married , then he is finished !

Old 12-15-2002, 08:09 AM

Thanks Jim, paint is on lens and bezel, all plastic.

Old 12-15-2002, 08:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have not tried it but I've heard that those clay blocks work well for overspray [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_cool.gif[/img]

http://kurtspontiac.homestead.com/Pre1964Pontiacs.html

Old 12-15-2002, 10:03 AM

I have used the clay blocks. They require some elbow grease but work great and wont damage anything

Old 12-15-2002, 12:27 PM

Thanks, I don't think there will be an easy solution. The specks have been there a long time.
If there weren't so many, I might consider a razor blade. I am sure I would do more damage.

Old 12-15-2002, 01:13 PM
Senior Chief

The longer that overspray has been there, the more difficult it wil be to get off. You may have to result to using a thinner. If you have some old parts like the ones you are cleaning, test them first. Some plastic parts will not clean up with thinner, but some will look great. This one may be tough. I hope you don't ruin anything. I always hate cleaning stuff like that. Good Luck.

In Case Of Fire, Break Glass!

Old 12-18-2002, 08:25 AM

Hi. My Lemans had been sitting outside for a few years when I bought it and while cleaning I noticed paint overspray on the edges of the hood,quarter panel and windshield area.
I ended up removing it with a clay bar and elbow grease. It worked like a charm! It also removed the sap mist and fine dirt embeded in my paint.
The surface is like glass now.
I still use the stuff after every wash.
I've had a lot of luck with a brand called "Clay Magic". Its more durable than Meguiers and cheaper. I found it at AUTOZONE for 9.99 and it comes with a spray solution that doubles as a touchup spray before you go riding.
Try this before you go to the polishing compounds.

Old 12-19-2002, 11:48 PM

Thanks, I was sold some OOPS cleaner..I haven't used it yet. Think I will try the clay bar as recommended...